Three Films by Ken Loach

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Three Films by Ken Loach

#1 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 am

On 18 September three of Ken Loach’s hardest-hitting films will be released together on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK. Raining Stones, Riff Raff and Ladybird Ladybird were all made in the early 1990s, and are uncompromising and touching portraits of everyday British lives. Starring, amongst others, Robert Carlyle, Ricky Tomlinson and Ray Winstone, all three films picked up major international awards upon their release.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Three Films by Ken Loach

#2 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:54 am

Ladybird Ladybird!

antnield

#3 Post by antnield » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:58 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#4 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:52 am

swo17 wrote:Ladybird Ladybird!
Seconded . In my book his strongest film and performance to date, stripped of the sentimentality that permeates and blunts most of his later work.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:04 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Seconded
I think you meant to say Ladybird Ladybird Ladybird Ladybird.

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:26 pm

I'm assuming that's not the final BBFC certificate - Ladybird Ladybird was Ken Loach's only 18-certificate film for a reason!

GaryC

#7 Post by GaryC » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:32 pm

MichaelB wrote:I'm assuming that's not the final BBFC certificate - Ladybird Ladybird was Ken Loach's only 18-certificate film for a reason!
Other than Sweet Sixteen, of course. I haven't seen Ladybird Ladybird since it came out and can't remember how much "very strong language" is in it.

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Lots, but it's the graphic domestic violence that was the major trigger.

Big Ben

#9 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:47 pm

MichaelB wrote:Lots, but it's the graphic domestic violence that was the major trigger.
The Imdb "Parental Advisory" sums this up pretty well. Heavy material.

colinr0380

#10 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Not as heavy as the condemnation of Social Services! It will be weird to watch this now that I've been on a few 'Safeguarding Adults and Children' courses in my employment!

Here's the trailer for Ladybird, Ladybird

And here are the trailers for Riff-Raff and Raining Stones, both of which have great Ricky Tomlinson performances a few years before he shot to fame as the father who hardly ever moves from in front of the television in the BBC sitcom series The Royle Family.

MichaelB

#11 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:08 am

Full specs announced:
Three Films by Ken Loach
Riff-Raff
Raining Stones
Ladybird Ladybird

3-disc Blu-ray and DVD box sets, released on 18 September 2017

Ken Loach is arguably Britain’s most lauded director of the last 30 years. These collections, released in both Blu-ray and DVD box sets by the BFI on 18 September, contain three films that are emblematic of the acclaimed filmmaker’s talent for engaging with social injustice and contemporary politics in stories by turns funny, heartbreaking and harrowing. Special features include filmed interviews with Ken Loach and the 2006 documentary Carry on Ken.

In Riff-Raff, Glaswegian jailbird Stevie (Robert Carlyle) heads to London to find work but discovers a world of corruption and degradation. Inner-city poverty is brought to the fore in Raining Stones, as unemployed Bob's (Bruce Jones) desperate attempts to afford a communion dress for his daughter result in a succession of disasters. Inspired by real events, Ladybird Ladybird is the emotional story of a woman's fight to hold on to her children and her relationship in the face of bureaucratic interference.

Special features
NB. All films on the Blu-ray set are presented in High Definition. The Blu-ray set also contains an illustrated booklet with new writing by David Archibald, original reviews and full film credits;
- Includes a newly remastered presentation of Ladybird Ladybird, approved by the director;
- Ken Loach: The Guardian Lecture at the National Film Theatre with Derek Malcolm (1992, 74 mins);
- Face to Face: Jeremy Isaacs talks to Ken Loach (Geraldine Dowd, 1991, 40 mins): the former head of Channel Four discusses the filmmaker’s life and career;
Carry on Ken (Toby Reisz, 2006, 49 mins): an in-depth documentary appraising the director;
- Original trailers for all three films;
- Stills galleries.

Blu-ray product details
RRP: £34.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1283 / Cert 18
Riff-Raff: UK / 1991 / 1.37:1 / colour / 96 mins
Raining Stones: UK / 1993 / 1.66:1 / colour / 91 mins
Ladybird Ladybird: UK / 1994 / 1.66:1 / colour / 102 mins
UK / 1991 – 1994 / colour / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / 289 mins / BD50 x 3 / 1080p / 24fps / original aspect ratios 1.37:1 and 1.66:1 / PCM stereo and mono audio (48kHz/24-bit)

DVD product details
RRP: £29.99/ Cat. no. BFIV2110 / Cert 18
Riff-Raff: UK / 1991 / 1.37:1 / colour / 92 mins
Raining Stones: UK / 1993 / 1.66:1 / colour / 87 mins
Ladybird Ladybird: UK / 1994 / 1.66:1 / colour / 98 mins
UK / 1991 – 1994 / colour / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / 277 mins / DVD9 x 3 / PAL / 25fps / original aspect ratios 1.37:1 and 1.66:1 / Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo and 1.0 mono audio (192kbps)

knives

#12 Post by knives » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:36 am

I'm asking this mainly given the Twilight Time releases, but any clue on what the region would likely be?

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:40 am

I'd assume B unless otherwise stated.

knives

#14 Post by knives » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:46 am

Dang, but I suppose that would have been likely.

zedz

#15 Post by zedz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:10 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Seconded . In my book his strongest film and performance to date, stripped of the sentimentality that permeates and blunts most of his later work.
And I thought I was the only person who felt this way! Though I have to make an exception for the brilliant and disturbing Family Life, not just Loach's least sentimental film, but one of the least sentimental British films ever made.

Crissy Rock gives a lacerating performance, and it was her first acting role. I see she's continued acting, but has she ever had another opportunity to pull out all the stops?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#16 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:26 am

zedz wrote:
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
And I thought I was the only person who felt this way!
We few. We happy few. We band of brothers. I think that this tendency in Loach was exacerbated by his teaming up with Paul Laverty who's speechifying polemic and plodding plotting has led increasingly to my cooling towards him.
Yes, 'I Daniel Blake' generated a couple of minor lumps in the throat . However, Brizé's 'La Loi du Marché', which treads similar ground in a far more detached way, courtesy of Vincent Lindon, generated disgust and anger at the indifferent cruelty of the modern labour market. A reaction very similar in fact to my first viewing as a student of Cathy come Home , when I wanted to heave a brick through a Town Hall window.

GaryC

#17 Post by GaryC » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:16 pm

That 1992 Guardian Lecture is getting another outing. It's also on the Masters of Cinema Blu-ray of Kes.

MichaelB

#18 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:18 pm

And isn't it on Signal One's Hidden Agenda as well?

Still, I daresay it doesn't cost the BFI anything to add it, what with it being their property - and I think timing-wise it's a lot more on-topic here than it was on Kes.

GaryC

#19 Post by GaryC » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Oh, I'm not complaining. I can now claim I appear in the extras of three Blu-ray releases, quite by chance!