Farewell My Concubine

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

Farewell My Concubine

#1 Post by antnield » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:18 am

Finch

Re: Farewell My Concubine

#2 Post by Finch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Thrilled about this. If David McKenzie is working on it, it should be a considerable improvement on all other discs. Looking forward to the final specs. With this, the Kusturica and the Russell, the BFI are off to a flying start for 2016.

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:37 pm

Wonderful news, and the film coming from the BFI could also hopefully raise the faint possibility of Stanley Kwan's documentary Yang ± Yin: Gender in Chinese Cinema getting added as an extra feature, since it was one of those films commissioned by the BFI as part of their Century of Cinema series.

Finch

#4 Post by Finch » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:16 am

Delayed till March.

manicsounds

#5 Post by manicsounds » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:54 am

Only one extra on the disc: a 24 minute making of featurette.

Ashirg

#6 Post by Ashirg » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:34 pm

nitin

#7 Post by nitin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:21 am

looks much better than I was expecting.

feihong

#8 Post by feihong » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:28 pm

I guess so? The image looks kind of thin to me. I haven't seen this or any other film shot by Changwei Gu theatrically, so I don't really have a sense of his intentions. There appears to be a lot of soft focus, and the colors look a little less stable than I thought they would be.

AidanKing

#9 Post by AidanKing » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:23 am

There doesn't appear to be a booklet with this one, which seems unusual bearing in mind the BFI's track record and the fact that there is potentially a lot to include about the film's relationship to history, the fifth generation in general and the careers of the actors and director.

Hopefully, this doesn't herald a move towards slimmed down packages from the BFI, although that seems unlikely bearing in mind the Kusturica and Clarke releases.

rapta

#10 Post by rapta » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:26 am

AidanKing wrote:There doesn't appear to be a booklet with this one, which seems unusual bearing in mind the BFI's track record and the fact that there is potentially a lot to include about the film's relationship to history, the fifth generation in general and the careers of the actors and director.

Hopefully, this doesn't herald a move towards slimmed down packages from the BFI, although that seems unlikely bearing in mind the Kusturica and Clarke releases.
Yeah, I was excited about this one but the reviews put me off keeping my pre-order. When you hold it up against extras-packed releases from this month (Bande à part, Shooting Stars, Culloden + The War Game etc), it pales a little in comparison. I will definitely be picking it up though, just not straight away.

A shame there's no booklet...I wonder if that was a contractual stipulation? Alternatively, it could have been a title they were having trouble with and decided to just get it out there rather than waste time and money worrying about compiling extras for it? There is one video extra, it seems, so that's better than nothing.

They delayed this from an original January release date, which signifies there were at least a few problems with it (Chinese films can be difficult to license, from what I've heard). However, most delayed titles from the BFI have been well worth the wait in the recent past (e.g. Eyes Without a Face, Rashomon). I expect The Wages of Fear to be spectacular once it finally gets released!

FrauBlucher

#11 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri May 06, 2016 10:08 pm