The Wages of Fear

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

rapta

Re: The Wages of Fear

#26 Post by rapta » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Expected August or September, but October?

I'm sure it will be worth the 2 year wait though, as with Eyes Without a Face (though that was roughly a year).

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#27 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:12 pm

TF1 in France have just announced a massive Clouzot box set of 12 films plus many supplements for late October so BFI are probably coming in line with that.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#28 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 pm

On the other hand, the French official PR only talks about a DVD set.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#29 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Sure but from 2K and 4K restos and TF1 have brought out dual
combos in their classics range haven't they?

L.A.

#30 Post by L.A. » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:38 pm

If that Clouzot box and the upcoming J'accuse set from Gaumont are English-friendly then a massive celebration is in order. \:D/

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#31 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:55 am

Well it now looks like instead of a sumptuous feast of a Blu 'Intégrale' Clouzot box we are being dished up a shit sandwich of an 'Essential' DVD only box.
There will be a range of some titles on blu spread across 3 or 4 different labels but I will leave it to Tenia to pick through this dogs dinner and elucidate when all the facts come in. What a fucking fiasco after the fanfare about a grand celebration of H-G C.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#32 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:20 am

You're way too kind with me.
I just joked about what a nightmare this dream is turning into. It could, however, be just a very poor communication problem. We might want to wait a bit more on this.

However, this is what pierced through so far :
- the set will only be DVD-only (79.99€, october 24th). TF1 confirmed there will be no BD set.
- Individual releases will be done, some simultaneously with the set. Are concerned at least : Quai des orfèvres (Studio Canal) / Le Corbeau (Studio Canal) / La Prisonnière (Studio Canal) / Le Mystère Picasso (Gaumont) / Le Salaire de la peur (TF1, in the Heritage collection) / Les diaboliques (TF1) / Miquette et sa mère (Pathé) (November). L'assassin habite au 21 is already available through Gaumont in France.
- Manon (Montparnasse) will be DVD only.
- This leaves the following yet to be confirmed on BD : Retour à la vie, Les espions & La vérité.
- the Lobster documentary L'enfer looks like it won't be included but has recently been released on BD in France by Lobster (I suppose it's a port of the US disc).

We expected a straight-forward thing like the Almodovar set, and we instead might be getting this clusterfuck of a celebration.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#33 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:06 pm

UK specs - pretty stuffed.
A new 4K restoration of the original French theatrical cut, never before released in the UK
Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
Interview with Assistant Director Michel Romanoff (2009, 23 mins)
Interview with Clouzot biographer Marc Godin (2009, 10 mins)
Newly recorded interview with Prof. Lucy Mazdon (2017, 35 mins)
The Guardian Lecture: Yves Montand in conservation with Don Allan (1988, 100 mins)
Audio commentary by Adrian Martin (2017, 153 mins)
Original theatrical trailer (3 mins)
Illustrated booklet

French specs No english subs
Blu-ray :
"Regards croisés sur Le Salaire de la peur", par Jean Ollé-Laprune et Samuel Blumenfeld (19')
"L'extraordinaire ambition d'Henri-Georges Clouzot", par Xavier Giannoli (20')
"Aux sources du choc original", par Bong Joon-ho (17')
Souvenirs d'Yves Montand (2')
La restauration du film (7')
Bande-annonce originale
DVD :
"Regards croisés sur Le Salaire de la peur", par Jean Ollé-Laprune et Samuel Blumenfeld (19')
Bande-annonce originale

What A Disgrace

#34 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:14 pm

The original Criterion, the upgraded DVD, the Criterion Blu-ray...and now this. Quadruple dipping it is.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#35 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:20 pm

So this cut is 153 minutes long, 6 minutes longer than the version released by Criterion?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#36 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:19 pm

swo17 wrote:So this cut is 153 minutes long, 6 minutes longer than the version released by Criterion?
Either that or Adrian Martin couldn't stop talking. (it is hitherto unreleased French cut)

Ovader

#37 Post by Ovader » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:34 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
swo17 wrote:So this cut is 153 minutes long, 6 minutes longer than the version released by Criterion?
Either that or Adrian Martin couldn't stop talking. (it is hitherto unreleased French cut)
Adrian Martin told me: "It's an extended version - I even extended my commentary to fit the discovery of these extra & fascinating added parts of the film !!!"

MichaelB

#38 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:29 am

Full specs announced:
The Wages of Fear
A film by Henri-Georges Clouzot

Yves Montand, Charles Vanel, Vera Clouzot

Dual Format Edition (Blu-ray/DVD) release on 23 October 2017

“A masterpiece of suspense” Christopher Nolan

See a clip here.

Based on the 1950 French novel Le Salaire de la peur, The Wages of Fear was critically hailed upon its original release, propelling its director Henri-Georges Clouzot (Les Diaboliques) to international fame, and is rightly considered a classic of world cinema. Now newly restored in 4K, it will be released by the BFI in a Dual Format Edition on 23 October, packed with special features, as part of BFI THRILLER: Who Can You Trust?

In a squalid South American village, four desperate men are hired by a US oil company to embark on a treacherous journey, transporting a volatile cargo of nitro-glycerine to a massive oil well fire. Friendships and courage are pushed to the limit in this nail-biting thriller by a director would go on to be dubbed the ‘French Hitchcock’.

Special features
• A new 4K restoration of the original French theatrical release, this is the longest version of the film (152 mins) to be released in the UK. Presented here in High Definition and Standard Definition.
• Interview with Assistant Director Michel Romanoff (2005, 23 mins)
• Interview with Clouzot biographer Marc Godin (2005, 10 mins)
• Interview with Professor Lucy Mazdon (2017, 35 mins): an in-depth interview about Henri-Georges Clouzot and The Wages of Fear
• Audio commentary with film critic Adrian Martin
• The Guardian Lecture: Yves Montand in conversation with Don Allen (99 mins, audio only): recorded in 1989, the star discusses his distinguished career
• Original theatrical trailer
• Illustrated booklet with a new essay by Andy Miller, original reviews by Karel Reisz and Penelope Houston, an appreciation of Clouzot by Paul Ryan, and full film credits

Product details
RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1226/ Cert 12
France / 1953 / black and white / 152 mins / French with English subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.37:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 1.0 mono (48kHz/24-bit) / DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 1.0 mono (192kbps)

MichaelB

#39 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Beaver.

Looks well worth the long wait.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#40 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:55 am

The color-grading will be interesting to compare with the past releases.

Emilio

#41 Post by Emilio » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:44 am

MichaelB wrote:Beaver.

Looks well worth the long wait.
Indeed! It look gorgeous.

kekid

#42 Post by kekid » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:59 am

I do not understand the unanimous praise of the new BFI version. It looks significantly darker than the Criterion (most apparent on Beaver's last screencap comparison). How do we know that that is the more accurate representation of the original?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#43 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:15 am

It only looks darker in two of those screengrabs.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#44 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:02 am

swo17 wrote:It only looks darker in two of those screengrabs.
Yes, it's just a couple of screengrabs which shouldn't be blown out of proportion.

However, following the Schiffmann interview I linked some months ago and which lead me to believe most of the movie would be at least slightly different now than in past releases, I'm actually more interested in how some shots might have minutely adjusted rather than those big differences (which might be the day-for-night fixes Schiffmann talked about).

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#45 Post by Drucker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 am

From what I can see, there is clearly more detail in the BFI, where the Criterion looks a little blurry. The Criterion is clearly from a dated master and is low on grain. If it was released today it would be a major disappointment. Though I will admit in this particular shot the BFI is a bit noisy, though I still prefer it to the Criterion.

hearthesilence

#46 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:32 am

Drucker wrote:From what I can see, there is clearly more detail in the BFI, where the Criterion looks a little blurry. The Criterion is clearly from a dated master and is low on grain. If it was released today it would be a major disappointment. Though I will admit in this particular shot the BFI is a bit noisy, though I still prefer it to the Criterion.
Whoah, if anything THAT shot sells the BFI for me. When you open the caps in new windows/tabs, make sure you click on them again so that they expand to full resolution. Look at the detail on his face - you can make it out every bristle and every wrinkle! Now look at the Criterion screencap - that is soft, like they threw a sheer bit of nylon on there to hide his age. There's no contest, the BFI restoration is that much better, and the only screencap that may be too dark for my tastes is the close-up of the odometer, and that's only for ease of reading. I prefer the darker look of that last screencap - it looks like oil, not mud.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#47 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:35 am

hearthesilence wrote: There's no contest, the BFI restoration is that much better, and the only screencap that may be too dark for my tastes is the close-up of the odometer, and that's only for ease of reading. I prefer the darker look of that last screencap - it looks like oil, not mud.
I spent 5 hours last night in the company of this disc, with and without Adrian Martin. Despite the chromatic source this is a scintillating restoration. As noted above the scene in the oil is a true coup de cinéma and this new rendition together with the extra footage gives it an edge and brutality that is unmissable. Go and buy 2. Xmas presents solved.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#48 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:58 am

Note that it's a TF1 restoration, not a BFI one (though I know people probably writes this because they refer to the BD releases).
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Despite the chromatic source this is a scintillating restoration.
I've read that the TF1 disc isn't pure B&W but has a chroma issue. Is it also the case on the BFI disc ?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#49 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:58 am

tenia wrote:Note that it's a TF1 restoration, not a BFI one (though I know people probably writes this because they refer to the BD releases).
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Despite the chromatic source this is a scintillating restoration.
I've read that the TF1 disc isn't pure B&W but has a chroma issue. Is it also the case on the BFI disc ?
I noticed no chroma biasing or any anomalies but there again I was watching the screen rather than vectors. Honestly if anyone has issues with this disc they should go see a proctologist.

perkizitore

#50 Post by perkizitore » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:07 am

Amazon still haven't shipped my pre-order, what gives? ](*,)