Night and the City

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Night and the City

#26 Post by Drucker » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:29 am

I just contacted customer service. Mine wasn't going to ship until later in this month when some other releases I also pre-ordered came out, but I just asked if they could break it apart from the rest of the order and ship now, and they said sure. Should ship next two days.

frankiecrisp

#27 Post by frankiecrisp » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:49 am

Drucker wrote:I just contacted customer service. Mine wasn't going to ship until later in this month when some other releases I also pre-ordered came out, but I just asked if they could break it apart from the rest of the order and ship now, and they said sure. Should ship next two days.
I've just had another angry conversation with amazon it now seems this is down to BFI only delivered a small number of this limited edition to Amazon those who didn't get a copy looks like we will miss out pathetic from BFI

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:22 am

I highly doubt it's already sold out. Has there been any word from BFI to that effect? Isn't it just more likely that BFI didn't send enough copies to Amazon to cover preorders and any day now more will be on their way. Hard to imagine they pressed so few copies of this that it's already gone

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#29 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:37 am

well I have had a bizarre conversation with an Amazon apparatchik who informed me my shipment of this and the Prem box are on hold because of the upward price change and my card pre-payment doesn't cover it. When I asked what was the purpose of a pre-order at a lower price I was told that I would have been demoted to a lower position in the stock queue despite having ordered over 6 weeks ago. Anyway as a 'special favour' my contact would let me know in the next two days whether there would be new stock arriving. Draw your own conclusions.

frankiecrisp

#30 Post by frankiecrisp » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:43 am

Sounds like Amazon have taken more pre orders than they were promised stock from BFI I've tried other outlets and cant find anyone with any stock all seems very strange

L.A.

#31 Post by L.A. » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:51 am

Those older BFI limited edition releases like the Dreyer and Robbe-Grillet are still available. If this and the Preminger Film Noir Collection are already OOP, then have to say whoa!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#32 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:53 am

Amazon pre-orders have always been hit-and-miss regarding the queue. I've pre-ordered many things from them months before the release date, but still, I also had lots of late shipping despite this. I've always guessed there actually wasn't any queue at all, and that the dispatch was random. It is frustrating.

As for the title being OOS, I highly doubt that too. Most likely, Amazon had more pre-orders than expected, and they are now trying to get more stock from the BFI, which obviously takes a bit of time. I wouldn't worry.
domino harvey wrote:Hard to imagine they pressed so few copies of this that it's already gone
The only possibility would be maybe a 500 or 1000 pressing, but that's not the usual printing sizes for BFI, it's usually 2000 or 3000 copies, and I doubt they would sell out 2000 Night & the City BDs on release date : it never happened in the recent past for a BFI release limited to such printing sizes, I don't see why it would happen now. The only recent exemples I can think of are Deep End and Killing of a Chinese bookie, but I believe the LE printing was 500 copies.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#33 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:56 am

I blame the ongoing noir list project for artificially inflating demand.

L.A.

#34 Post by L.A. » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:03 am

Or was the Robbe-Grillet set limited edition run?

Still, the Dreyer and Rossellini War Trilogy are and still available.

Jonathan S

#35 Post by Jonathan S » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:55 am

Well, Night and the City is "in stock" again so I guess Amazon's CS was BS... although my pre-order still hasn't been dispatched.

EDIT: now dispatched.

frankiecrisp

#36 Post by frankiecrisp » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:55 am

Jonathan S wrote:Well, Night and the City is "in stock" again so I guess Amazon's CS was BS... although my pre-order still hasn't been dispatched.

EDIT: now dispatched.
Mine as well. I don't think the people you speak to on the phone have clue they just BS hoping you will go away

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:41 am

Mine is dispatched as well (still waiting on the Preminger box though)

mistakaninja

#38 Post by mistakaninja » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:39 am

Preminger is at least back in stock now though, rather than the 1-3 weeks placeholder that was showing. Although right this second it says only 1 unit is in stock.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#39 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:35 am

My Preminger set shipped last week.

What A Disgrace

#40 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:50 am

Both of those, plus Rashomon, are preparing for dispatch.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#41 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:40 am

Out of interest did anyone else order Night at £11.84 and get it despatched in the first tranche or did they also get demoted in the queue as my 'contact' at Amazon suggested had happened?

rapta

#42 Post by rapta » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:08 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Out of interest did anyone else order Night at £11.84 and get it despatched in the first tranche or did they also get demoted in the queue as my 'contact' at Amazon suggested had happened?
Mine got dispatched and arrived on Sunday, but that's because I pre-ordered it when I had a Prime trial. I have no idea what's going on with this title (nor the Otto Preminger Collection) in terms of the price staying at RRP and also not being in stock on release day from most retailers...yet a few copies obviously did get sent out. Perhaps it's a logistical cock-up with the manufacturer/distributor (probably Sony DADC)?

mistakaninja

#43 Post by mistakaninja » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:24 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Out of interest did anyone else order Night at £11.84 and get it despatched in the first tranche or did they also get demoted in the queue as my 'contact' at Amazon suggested had happened?
Yep, mine was delayed. Dispatched today though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#44 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:07 pm

mistakaninja wrote:Preminger is at least back in stock now though, rather than the 1-3 weeks placeholder that was showing. Although right this second it says only 1 unit is in stock.
Mine shipped few hours after Night and the City, too. So, it does look like preorders are being fulfilled, crisis averted question mark

perkizitore

#45 Post by perkizitore » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Night and the City was despatched immediately, but complained about the Preminger set and they offered me free expedited shipping.

Paul Duncan

#46 Post by Paul Duncan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:39 pm

I posted a short video about the BFI release of Night and the City on YouTube, which includes rare on-set images from my collection that I have never seen published before. You can see it here:

https://youtu.be/U2mhap1Yg48