A Farewell to Arms

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

A Farewell to Arms

#1 Post by antnield » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:56 am

Frank Borzage's 1932 film will be coming to Blu-ray and DVD in September, according to a new press release. This will be a new restoration and the dual-format release follows a brief theatrical tour, beginning May 30th.

What A Disgrace

Re: A Farewell to Arms

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:59 pm

This is why I love not buying Kino releases.

manicsounds

#3 Post by manicsounds » Tue May 13, 2014 11:29 am

with unique and exclusive extras

antnield

#4 Post by antnield » Thu May 22, 2014 2:14 pm

zedz

#5 Post by zedz » Thu May 22, 2014 3:48 pm

That's probably the most gorgeous teal and orange cover I've ever seen.

What A Disgrace

#6 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:54 pm

I'm crossing my fingers that some early Borzage films, like Humoresque, or even some of the films he acted in under Thomas Ince, will be included as extras. When will the specs be announced?

antnield

#7 Post by antnield » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:12 pm

• Alternative ending (1932, 5 mins): more optimistic ending to the film that was shot for American audiences
• War Scenes in Italy (1915, 1 min): a Topical Budget newsreel item showing crowds gathering in Rome to hear the announcement of Italy’s entry in to the war
• Austrian Prisoners in a Concentration Camp (1916, 3 mins): scenes of Austrian prisoner’s of war in Italy in 1916
• The Latest Crime of the Sinister Hun (1918, 2 mins): a Topical Budget newsreel item documenting the burial of nurses and wounded soldiers killed in an air raid on British and Canadian hospitals in France.
• Frank Borzage Talks to Cecil B. DeMille (1937, 3 mins, audio): an interview segment extracted from the Lux Radio Theater production of A Farewell to Arms
• Fully illustrated booklet featuring full film credits and essays by Geoff Andrew, Adrian Wootton, and Kent Jones

rohmerin

#8 Post by rohmerin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:36 pm

Finally the happy ending Herve Dumont described and I swear I watched on tv anytime in the 90's has surfaced !!!

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:50 am

Full specs announced:
A Farewell to Arms
A film by Frank Borzage
Gary Cooper, Helen Hayes, Adolphe Menjou

New Digital Restoration

Based on the best-selling novel by Ernest Hemingway, Frank Borzage’s Oscar-winning film adaptation of the tragic Great War romance has been newly restored by Lobster Films. It will be made available on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, released by the BFI in a Dual Format Edition (containing both Blu-ray and DVD discs), on 22 September 2014.

An impossibly handsome Gary Cooper stars as the somewhat cynical Lieutenant Frederic Henry, an American enlisted in the Italian army to drive ambulances during the war. Through his doctor friend, Rinaldi (Adolphe Menjou), he meets Catherine Barkley (Helen Hayes), an English nurse whose fiancé was killed at the Somme. What starts as a flirtatious and casual encounter soon develops into something much deeper – but can their passion survive the terrible consequences of the war?

A hugely popular film when it was first released in 1932, A Farewell to Arms was nominated for four Oscars, winning Best Cinematography (Charles Lang) and Best Sound (Franklin Hansen and Harold Lewis).

Special features
• Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition;
• Alternative ending (1932, 5 mins): the ending shot for US audiences;
War Scenes in Italy (1915, 1 min): newsreel footage of crowds gathering in Rome to hear the announcement of Italy's entry into the war;
Austrian Prisoners in a Concentration Camp (1916, 3 mins): footage of prisoners of war in Italy in 1916;
The Latest Crime of the Sinister Hun (1918, 2 mins): newsreel footage of the burial of nurses and wounded soldiers killed in an air raid;
Frank Borzage Talks to Cecil B. DeMille (1937, 3 mins, audio): an interview from the Lux Radio Theater production of A Farewell to Arms;
• Illustrated booklet featuring essays by Geoff Andrew, Adrian Wootton and Kent Jones

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / cat. no. BFIB1196 / Cert PG
USA / 1932 / black and white / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / Optional audio description track / 85 mins / Original aspect ratio 1.33:1
Disc 1: BD25 / 1080p / 24fps / PCM mono audio (48k/16-bit)
Disc 2: DVD9 / PAL / Dolby Digital mono audio (320kbps)

L.A.

#10 Post by L.A. » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:08 pm

manicsounds

#11 Post by manicsounds » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:34 am

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#12 Post by Drucker » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:23 am

I finally picked this up, having loved the Carlotta Borzage blu rays. What an exquisite film and pleasant surprise. I'm sure it's fans already know, but the beautiful, flowing camera that is present really recalls his silent stuff. There are shots, especially early in the film as we go in and out of hotel windows, that immediately recall the flights up stairs in a film like Seventh Heaven.

There are so many times that when I watch a sound film by a silent director I love, the magic just feels lost with a static camera. Not the case at all here. On top of the wonderful camera use, the story is beautifully told, the sets and shots are gorgeous, and the film never truly lets up on the sense of dread that the story requires. While there are cringe-worthy, dated Hollywood moments (Helen Hayes holding Gary Cooper's arm, making him promise her he never loved any other woman), but for the most part, the melodrama works, the montage sequences are beautiful, and that final shot is fantastic. What a great film.