Film Noir Classics

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Film Noir Classics

#1 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:16 am

Full specs announced:
Film Noir Classics

Bringing together four all-time classic titles from two of the world's most celebrated directors, this essential BFI box set, in collaboration with Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, delivers that unique combination of intrigue, moral ambiguity and stylish black and white photography which truly defines this much loved Hollywood genre.

Fallen Angel (Otto Preminger, 1945)
Eric Stanton (Dana Andrews) is a down-on-his-luck press agent who falls for the beautiful Stella (Linda Darnell). When Stella is found murdered, Eric becomes the main suspect. Using his investigative instincts to find the real murderer, Eric soon makes a shocking discovery.
Extra feature: Original theatrical trailer and on screen biographies.
USA / b&w / 98 mins / Original aspect ratio 1.33:1

Whirlpool (Otto Preminger, 1949)
Ann Sutton (Gene Tierney) is the well-dressed wife of a successful psychoanalyst (Richard Conte). When she is arrested for shoplifting, the scandal is averted by the intervention of a sinister hypnotist (José Ferrer). However, Ann soon finds herself caught up in a web of blackmail and murder.
Extra feature: On screen biographies.
USA / b&w / 93 mins / Original aspect ratio 1.33:1

Night and the City (Jules Dassin, 1950)
Harry Fabian (Richard Widmark), a small-time American nightclub tout, dreams of entering the wrestling rackets of post-war London. Scheming with his long-suffering girlfriend (Gene Tierney) and the sultry wife of a nightclub owner (Googie Withers), he attempts to take on the racketeers.
Extras features: Interview with Jules Dassin, commentary by Paul Duncan and comparison of the US and UK versions.
UK / b&w / 92 mins / Original aspect ratio 1.33:1

Where the Sidewalk Ends (Otto Preminger, 1950)
Mark Dixon (Dana Andrews) is a brutal cop whose harsh methods get him in trouble with his superiors. When he accidentally kills a murder suspect he knows he is finished if he's discovered. He decides to dispose of the body and pin the murder on someone else. Soon he will pay the ultimate price.
Extra feature: Original theatrical trailer and on screen biographies.
USA / b&w / 91 mins / Original aspect ratio 1.33:1

This set includes an illustrated booklet with essays, cast and credits.
Release date: 16 November 2009
RRP: £29.99 / cat. no. BFIVD870 / cert 12 / 4 discs
As with the Jacques Tati collection, I'm expecting this to be a repackaging of the existing BFI Preminger/Dassin discs into slimline Amaray cases contained within a cardboard sleeve. I'm also assuming that all the original booklet info will be compiled into a single volume, but I'll check when my copy arrives.

Der Spieler

Re: Film Noir Classics

#2 Post by Der Spieler » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:54 pm

The transfers for the Preminger films are weaker than the Fox ones, but the price reflects that.

It might be worth the buy for the Dassin alone also.

perkizitore

#3 Post by perkizitore » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:25 am

Der Spieler wrote:The transfers for the Preminger films are weaker than the Fox ones, but the price reflects that.

It might be worth the buy for the Dassin alone also.
Actually in HMV is sold for 18 quid, so for someone that doesn't really care about transfers it works cheaper than importing the Fox's. But if you already have Night and the City don't bother buying this set.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:03 pm

Murasaki53

#5 Post by Murasaki53 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Could someone tell me whether this box set carries English Subtitles?

Thanks in advance for your help with this. The DVD Times review mentions them but no other online retailer has them in the specs. I am a little hard of hearing and so do require them.

tojoed

#6 Post by tojoed » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:13 am

Murasaki53 wrote:Could someone tell me whether this box set carries English Subtitles?

Thanks in advance for your help with this. The DVD Times review mentions them but no other online retailer has them in the specs. I am a little hard of hearing and so do require them.
Yes, it does. Good news for we deafies. :)

Murasaki53

#7 Post by Murasaki53 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks for letting me know. Much appreciated.

Der Spieler

#8 Post by Der Spieler » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Short questions:

If the discs in there are direct ports of the previous editions, why is 'Night and the City' marked on DVD Times as region-free on the box set review, but region 2 on the single disc one? I'm mixed up.

Also, do you guys think I should buy this set or should I go with just 'Night' and the Fox 'Sidewalk'? I've never seen 'Fallen Angel' and 'Whirlpool' so I don't know whether it's worth it or not. I know the transfers are inferior to the Fox ones. But I was just wondering...

perkizitore

#9 Post by perkizitore » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:36 am

It's only 14 quid, so you shouldn't be thinking about it.

Der Spieler

#10 Post by Der Spieler » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:48 am

In canadian dollars it's almost double if you add the shipping, so I'm trying to sort out my best options.

My questions still stand!

otis

#11 Post by otis » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:44 pm

The Fox editions of Whirlpool and especially Fallen Angel are definitely superior, and they seem to be pretty cheap on Amazon these days. I'd go with them.

Der Spieler

#12 Post by Der Spieler » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:43 pm

I'm not that interested in these two films. But buying the BFI box would cost the same as buying 'Night and the City' BFI + 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' Fox. I love these two movies and I'm not sure whether I should gamble on the quality of 'Sidewalk'. Also wondering about region coding like I've said earlier.

Finch

#13 Post by Finch » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:28 pm

My copy of the BFI Night and the City is Region 2 encoded. If you think you can definitely do without the other two films in the set, I'd just get Night and Sidewalk individually.

Der Spieler

#14 Post by Der Spieler » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:50 am

Thanks! I'll go with the individual releases.