The Jacques Tati Collection

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

FrauBlucher

Re: The Jacques Tati Collection

#201 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:34 pm

It'l be interesting to see what CC comes up with. The bar is high.

manicsounds

#202 Post by manicsounds » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:31 pm

In the paragraph about Trafic, you spelled "Everybody" wrong...

Also, I assume this has both English and French subtitles for everything including extras.
About the English subs: There were a lot of portions in his films, especially Jour De Fete which had a lot of unsubbed dialogue on the BFI. How are the subs for the Studio Canal? More "integrale"?

michaelgsmith

#203 Post by michaelgsmith » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:38 am

manicsounds wrote:In the paragraph about Trafic, you spelled "Everybody" wrong...

Also, I assume this has both English and French subtitles for everything including extras.
About the English subs: There were a lot of portions in his films, especially Jour De Fete which had a lot of unsubbed dialogue on the BFI. How are the subs for the Studio Canal? More "integrale"?
Everything has English subs. The first thing you see when each disc loads is a menu asking you to select "France" or "United Kingdom" -- so I assume the Studio Canal UK discs will be identical (though the packaging will obviously be different). I haven't seen the BFI discs but the subtitles on these seemed fairly complete.

manicsounds

#204 Post by manicsounds » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:18 am

So the incidental dialogue has subtitles too? Even in French it sounds a bit unintelligible.

Are you going to give a rundown on the bonus features and specs in your review, or just keeping it to the main features?

michaelgsmith

#205 Post by michaelgsmith » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:15 am

Not all of the incidental dialogue has subtitles. As I'm sure you know, often in Tati the sound of the characters' voices is more important than what they're actually saying (which, as you indicate, sounds unintelligible or half-intelligible by design). However, I didn't feel that there were any passages in any of the films where subtitles were egregiously missing.

I'll just be sticking to the main features on my blog for now. The only special feature I watched was a documentary on the making of Jour de Fete, which was quite good. Honestly, the set is so stacked with extras that it will probably be a very long time before I get around to watching them all.

MichaelB

#206 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:44 am

michaelgsmith wrote:Not all of the incidental dialogue has subtitles. As I'm sure you know, often in Tati the sound of the characters' voices is more important than what they're actually saying (which, as you indicate, sounds unintelligible or half-intelligible by design).
Yes, didn't Tati specifically request that certain passages not be subtitled? For similar reasons, he was very keen on producing English-language (as opposed to dubbed) versions of his films.

michaelgsmith

#207 Post by michaelgsmith » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:28 pm

I never heard about him specifically requesting no subtitles for scenes but I don't find that hard to believe. It seems almost absurd that he would bother creating a version of Mon Oncle with English-language dialogue and signage when you consider how little of either is in the film. Dialogue probably plays the biggest role in Jour de Fete. It's crucial, for instance, that the dialogue in the documentary scene about the U.S. postal service be subtitled. The rest of the films can be enjoyed virtually without subtitles.

Orlac

#208 Post by Orlac » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:05 pm

So...is Criterion release these for sure? If so, does it bode well for their other Canal+ titles like The Third Man and Peeping Tom?

knives

#209 Post by knives » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:07 pm

Yes and no in that respective order. The Tati estate specifically intervened to allow a Hulot release by Criterion which should come out some time this year. Other Studio Canal titles don't have that fortune.

Orlac

#210 Post by Orlac » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Cool, and nuts.

HitchcockLang

#211 Post by HitchcockLang » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:28 pm

knives wrote:Yes and no in that respective order. The Tati estate specifically intervened to allow a Hulot release by Criterion which should come out some time this year. Other Studio Canal titles don't have that fortune.
Do we know yet if this insistence by the Tati estate includes only the first three Hulot films or if it extends to Trafic or if it even extends to Jour de Fete and Parade?

I'm really hoping for a more or less complete Tati box from Criterion. Heck, they could even throw in The Illusionist.

knives

#212 Post by knives » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:34 am

I don't believe we have any definitive word on what may or may not be included, but I believe only Trafic would be up in the air as it is fully owned by Canal, while the rest are only leased to them.

HitchcockLang

#213 Post by HitchcockLang » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:01 am

knives wrote:I don't believe we have any definitive word on what may or may not be included, but I believe only Trafic would be up in the air as it is fully owned by Canal, while the rest are only leased to them.
Good to know though disappointing. Not that I don't trust your judgment, but how do I know that Trafic is fully owned by Canal?

EddieLarkin

#214 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 am

Moe will tell you that Trafic is actually owned entirely by the Tati Estate. Apparently it was already licensed to SC when Criterion wanted it, so they had to go through them. Whether that is correct or not, I do not know.

Giles

#215 Post by Giles » Wed May 28, 2014 10:56 pm

shaky wrote:Whew, those PLAYTIME caps look glorious. Really calls attention to the compression found on the ol' Criterion blu-ray. I'm not entirely sure yet what to make of the color discrepancy though.
ah, so that's where the colors went. I remember being wow'ed by a 70mm print of 'Playtime' (first time view at the AFI Silver) then watching the Criterion blu when it came out elicited a "ewww - not impressed"

for the French disc to use the actual 65mm elements is a major plus. Criterion's use of the 35mm reduction internegative was a step down in my opinion.

MichaelB

#216 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 29, 2014 5:29 am

Giles wrote:Criterion's use of the 35mm reduction internegative was a step down in my opinion.
But to be fair to them, it would have significantly increased the production budget, and they're a single-territory distributor. Same goes for the BFI.

As I argued a few years back, a full-scale restoration would be a large-scale cultural project that would need the backing either of the French ministry of culture or a major distributor serving multiple territories, which is why I'm not surprised that the Tati estate ultimately decided to collaborate with StudioCanal (probably the biggest European major with similar cultural priorities).

whaleallright

#217 Post by whaleallright » Thu May 29, 2014 3:18 pm

n/a
Last edited by whaleallright on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zot!

#218 Post by Zot! » Fri May 30, 2014 12:02 pm

jonah.77 wrote:if electronics manufacturers are serious about pushing 4K and 8K as home-theater formats (kind of a hail-mary pass for Sony at this point), the first thing they ought to do is sponsor a 8K restoration of this film. I'm sure that will happen soon. :roll:
It would amuse me to no end, if instead of the Avatar exclusive that came packaged with the first 3d sets, you would instead get a 4k copy of a mostly mute French film that famously bombed.