It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When the Wind Blows
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:01 am 

Dual format edition available January 22.

Post subject: Re: When the Wind Blows
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:56 am 
Carthago delenda est

From Amazon:

When the Wind Blows (DVD + Blu-ray)
Directed by Jimmy T Murakami
Screenplay by Raymond Biggs

Jim and Hilda Bloggs (Sir John Mills and Dame Peggy Ashcroft) are a middle-aged couple, who believe that the British government is in control as they prepare for Nuclear War. When the countdown begins they roll up their shirtsleeves and follow government guidelines that were actually distributed to households around Britain in the 1970s. They paint their windows white, build a fortress of doors and pillows, take the washing in and put away two packets of ginger nuts, one tin of pineapple chunks and a good supply of tea.

This cautionary tale is both humorous and macabre in its consideration of one of the most horrific possibilities of modern life. When the Wind Blows is a story about love, tenderness, humanity and hope. Adapted by Raymond Briggs (The Snowman) from his best-selling book, When the Wind Blows features an original soundtrack by Roger Waters, and title song by David Bowie.

Special features
Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
Audio commentary with First Assistant Joe Fordham and Film Historian Nick Redman
Jimmy Murakami: Non-Alien (2010, 75 mins): feature-length documentary about the film's director
Interview with Raymond Briggs (2005, 14 mins)
The Wind and the Bomb (2005): the making-of When the Wind Blows
Protect and Survive (1975, 51 mins): public information film about how to survive in the event of a nuclear explosion
Isolated music and effects track
Fully illustrated booklet with new writing on the film by Raymond Briggs, Jez Stewart and Bella Todd, and full film credits
UK | 1986 | colour | 84 minutes | 1 x BD50 | 1 x DVD9 | Region B (Blu-ray) Region 2 (DVD) | Cert PG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:02 pm 

This is a brilliant film, I'm so happy to see it finally released

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:14 pm 

Crap, another TT I bought bites the dust. :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:09 pm 

TT’s disc had no optional English subs which was a major bummer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:41 pm 

Here's the trailer

Wonderful news! Its a beautiful but incredibly harrowing and bleak film, one that perhaps could only exist in the wake of the huge acclaim for The Snowman (which itself has a pretty brutal 'circle of life', or rather 'water cycle' ending!). What other film features the characters building their own coffins, wrapping themselves up in their shrouds (in this case potato sacks) and performing their own eulogies in the upsetting ending.

Plus its got the fantastic opening title sequence with the one objective glimpse of the outside world, first in live action footage of bombs being transported through small towns in the dead of night, segueing into the animation as Jim takes his bus ride home from town. All scored to David Bowie's title song, which is up there with Art Garfunkle's Bright Eyes in getting the tears flowing! I also really like the animation style of the film, with the cell animation of the characters overlaid on top of physical sets, all the better to 'ground' the film in some sense of physicality, like a little minature dollshouse set that is soon to be destroyed.

I'll always treasure though my first viewing of the film when the VHS tape I was recording a television broadcast of the film on ran out just minutes before the end, but it cut off right in the middle of Jim's rose-tinted reverie about being a fireman during the Blitz, and just before the downward turn into the full effects of the radiation sickness start. For me (and I know it runs totally counter to the intentions of the film, which lightly nudges towards a critique of the previous generation that has allowed such apocalyptic situations to come about, because of their nostalgia for getting through previous conflicts with a cup of tea and a can-do attitude!), I'd always like to imagine the couple forever being left inside the comfort of their reminiscences, even whilst the world burns (and the milkman runs late) outside.

___

And that looks to be a fantastic package of extras too! The commentary and isolated score is presumably carried over from the Twilight Time release? The Jimmy Murakami documentary sounds really exciting too (he also directed Battle Beyond The Stars for Roger Corman a couple of years before doing his Raymond Briggs adaptations)

Protect and Survive is an inspired inclusion as another fusion of antiseptically distancing animation and discussion of the ultimate horror, and also for providing similar rules (busy work?) for the population to follow in the event of a nuclear attack as appear in the early sections of When The Wind Blows.(The pamphlet is apparently getting republished too!) It is perhaps the ultimate scary public information film (talking practically about tagging bodies with their names and addresses and moving them to another room in the house when a death occurs, and so on). Protect and Survive has been weirdly influential on protest music too, with the narration turning up in Two Tribes by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Though perhaps the funniest is the song by The Dubliners!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:58 pm 

tenia wrote:
Crap, another TT I bought bites the dust. :|

TT had a major flaw in the audio.
i don't know if you noticed. The effects were lke having an echo or something.
There was an online youtube video somewhere that showed this.

I haven't seen this film, but i hope it's fixed for this edition because I'd like to buy it!

edit: Oh, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LJHeiW ... e=youtu.be

the previously released DVD didn't have those problems, so it's not on the source.
Let's hope the issue is not baked on the HD source!

Is there somewhere where we can email them and notify them about the issue?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:01 am 

If they weren't aware of the issue before, they certainly are now - thanks!

Usually this sort of thing is caused by the M&E tracks being accidentally muxed into the audio along with the official film soundtrack, and is easily fixable at the authoring stage - although you're right to flag up the possibility that it might be baked into the master.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:38 am 

The actual soundtrack album for the film has a problem where they use dialogue from the film in between the songs, but its mixed so low in comparison to the music, you'd have to crank your volume up way beyond reasonable levels.

And I wonder if the BFI could fiind a way to include the disturbing nuclear war short A Short Vision - you can view it on their channel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 am 

Full specs announced:
Quote:
When the Wind Blows
Written by Raymond Briggs
Directed by Jimmy T Murakami

BFI Blu-ray/DVD release on 22 January 2018

When the Wind Blows is a story about love, tenderness, humanity and hope in the face of nuclear war. Adapted by Raymond Briggs (The Snowman, Ethel and Ernest) from his best-selling graphic novel, it features an original soundtrack by Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) and title song by David Bowie. It will be released on Blu-ray/DVD by the BFI in a Dual Format Edition on 22 January 2018, packed with special features including interviews, a documentary on the director and the public information film Protect and Survive (1975).

Jim and Hilda Bloggs (voiced by Sir John Mills and Dame Peggy Ashcroft) are a middle-aged couple who put their faith in the government as they prepare for nuclear war. When the countdown begins, they roll up their sleeves and follow the advice contained in the real-life official booklet of the time, Protect and Survive. They whitewash their windows white, build a shelter out of doors and pillows, take the washing in and put away packets of ginger nuts, a tin of pineapple chunks and a good supply of tea.

This legendary, cautionary tale is both humorous and macabre in its consideration of one of the most horrific possibilities of modern life.

Special features
• Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition;
• Audio commentary with first assistant editor Joe Fordham and film historian Nick Redman;
Jimmy Murakami: Non-Alien (2010, 77 mins): feature-length documentary about the film’s director;
The Wind and the Bomb (1986, 25 mins): the making of When the Wind Blows, featuring interviews with producer John Coates, director Jimmy T Murakami and writer Raymond Briggs;
• Interview with Raymond Briggs (2005, 14 mins): the author discusses When the Wind Blows and other works;
Protect and Survive (1975, 50 mins): public information film designed to be broadcast when a nuclear attack was imminent;
• Isolated music and effects track;
• Illustrated booklet with a new introduction by Raymond Briggs, an essay by executive producer Iain Harvey, writing by Jez Stewart, Claire Kitson and Bella Todd, and full film credits.

Product details
RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1280/ Cert PG
UK / 1986 / colour / 84 mins / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.37:1 / BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit) / DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio (320kbps)

When the Wind Blows launch screening & Q&A at BFI Southbank, Sun 28 Jan

This new release will be celebrated with a special screening at BFI Southbank (NFT3) on Sunday 28 January at 3.20pm, followed by an on stage Q&A with executive producer Iain Harvey. It is a part of the BFI’s year-long celebration of the craft and creativity of animation taking place from January – December 2018. Details will be announced soon.