Andrzej Wajda

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
eltopo

Re: Andrzej Wajda

#26 Post by eltopo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:21 pm

This movie you've forgotten:

Dead Class (1977)

ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage

ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage

MichaelB

#27 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Is this a legitimate DVD release with English subtitles?

If so, what's the label?

rohmerin

#28 Post by rohmerin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:49 pm

stupid question: Do those Polish dvds have SPANISH subtitles?
I love Wajda's cinema,I mean, the 4 I've seen for the moment, but I prepare one retrospective chez moi this Xmas. I've got 6 more Wajda's films to watch for 1st time.

der_Artur

#29 Post by der_Artur » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:15 pm

MichaelB wrote:Is this a legitimate DVD release with English subtitles?

If so, what's the label?
Sorry eltopo did not answer you - he does these pointless posts in a lot of German boards, too. ;-)
The release is legitimate, but according to eltopo's own entry in a German DVD-database it is only sold to libraries and universities. It was released by PROPAGANDA and CRIKOTEKA, but I could find no information on their site regarding this release.
In the same entry it is also mentioned, that the DVD is contained in this Book: KADYSZ STRONY O TADEUSZU KANTORZE but all the shops that list it do not mention the DVD.
But the good thing is: The DVD contains English and Spanish subs (plus German, French and Italian).
Hope this helps.

MichaelB

#30 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:13 pm

rohmerin wrote:stupid question: Do those Polish dvds have SPANISH subtitles?
I'd have to check to be sure, but I'd be very surprised indeed. If they offer subtitles at all, the chances are they'd be in English. Some of PWA's releases also offer French, German and Russian subtitles - but I don't recall any Spanish options.

der_Artur

#31 Post by der_Artur » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:55 am

Land of Promise, Man of Marble and Man of Iron do have Spanish subtitles.

rohmerin

#32 Post by rohmerin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:13 pm

golgothicon wrote:Land of Promise, Man of Marble and Man of Iron do have Spanish subtitles.
Thank you for the confirmation. I desire to travel to Berlin and Poland in springtime, so, I'll try to buy some of those Wajda's.

Katyn is a very good film. What a pity that there's no Spanish subt on the BR or DVD !

menthymenthy

#33 Post by menthymenthy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:32 pm

rohmerin wrote:
golgothicon wrote:Land of Promise, Man of Marble and Man of Iron do have Spanish subtitles.
Thank you for the confirmation. I desire to travel to Berlin and Poland in springtime, so, I'll try to buy some of those Wajda's.
Everything For Sale, Pan Tadeusz, and Zemsta also have Spanish subtitles.

eltopo

#34 Post by eltopo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:19 am

The Wedding / Wesele (1973)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069492/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comparison:

DVD (2005 BestFilm, Poland): http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassun ... vid=146895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4 DVD Box (2006 BestFilm, Poland): http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassun ... vid=160859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rohmerin

#35 Post by rohmerin » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:48 am

May be next year I could go to Poland. My moving to London has blooded my money.
Thank you for the captures. I've not seen that.

One question: I die for watching "A wedding in Germany" that I think it's spoken in German, Does anyone know where it's avalaible with English, Spanish or Italian subt?

menthymenthy

#36 Post by menthymenthy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:07 am

Wow, eltopo, that's quite a difference between the two releases of Wesele. I wonder if the picture quality of Kanal and Popiol i diament are better in that box set than stand alone release.

I have the standard release of both Kanal and Popiol i Diament, and they are dreadful. But if it's much better in the box set, I'll have to grab it.

Anyone tested the discs of Kanal/Popiol from the box set compared to stand alone release?

MichaelB

#37 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:17 am

dmk_world wrote:I wonder if the picture quality of Kanal and Popiol i diament are better in that box set than stand alone release.

I have the standard release of both Kanal and Popiol i Diament, and they are dreadful. But if it's much better in the box set, I'll have to grab it.

Anyone tested the discs of Kanal/Popiol from the box set compared to stand alone release?
I recall the box-set DVDs of Kanal and Ashes and Diamonds being perfectly acceptable - certainly nowhere near "dreadful". If I remember rightly, there was a restoration demo on at least one of the DVDs, so there's every chance they were remastered since the single-disc versions. But I haven't seen those, so can't do direct comparisons.

Tom Amolad

#38 Post by Tom Amolad » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:32 am

rohmerin wrote:One question: I die for watching "A wedding in Germany" that I think it's spoken in German, Does anyone know where it's avalaible with English, Spanish or Italian subt?
There was an English-subtitled VHS release in the US under the title "A Love in Germany," and it's selling cheaply used on Amazon. But if you're in a PAL market, that may not be much help. You're not missing a lot, though. The video was (of course) pan and scan, and it gave subtitles even for moments like "[door slams]" or "[cow moos]." (I'd hardly count it among Wajda's most compelling films, though it does hold some interest if you want to see a Fassbinder cast under a very different director, and Schygulla is memorable.)

menthymenthy

#39 Post by menthymenthy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:11 pm

It's an unsubtitled release, and I'm not sure if it's been confirmed in the past here, but the Polish DVD of Popioly isn't in the original 2.35:1 ratio, and is cropped to 1.85:1. Most of the camera work, which is quite striking at times, seems butchered in this ratio. :(

perkizitore

#40 Post by perkizitore » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Tatarak, but probably no english subtitles.

MichaelB

#41 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:37 am

Merlin isn't reliable on subtitles, and English subs are promised here, here, here and doubtless many other sites.

This is easy enough to check for any Polish film - just type "[Polish title]", "DVD" and "angielskie" into Google. If a significant majority of the sites you turn up promise English subtitles, the chances are pretty high that they're present.

rohmerin

#42 Post by rohmerin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:44 am

Finally I'm travelling to Poland \:D/ so, please, people from Varsaw, Krakow or Breslau / Wrocław , where can I find good DVD stores in the centre of those cities?
I die for buying one or two gorgeous Polish film posters. Any recommedable place to find them?
Muchas gracias.

MichaelB

#43 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:30 am

Empik is usually a good bet - the one in the centre of Wroclaw has a big DVD section in the basement, though it took me some time to find it because it has a separate basement at the front and they're not linked.

I think I've made at least 80% of my Polish over-the-counter purchases in branches of Empik, and I suspect they have at least one in Krakow and Warsaw too.

Zazou dans le Metro

#44 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:40 pm

rohmerin wrote:Finally I'm travelling to Poland \:D/ so, please, people from Varsaw, Krakow or Breslau / Wrocław , where can I find good DVD stores in the centre of those cities?
I die for buying one or two gorgeous Polish film posters. Any recommedable place to find them?
Muchas gracias.
There's a big Empik near the Central station in Warsaw and you can get no better than visiting Galeria Plakatu in the main square of Old Town for film posters. I've been buying there for over fifteen years and unfortunately have seen prices escalate by a 1000%. Staff are very helpful and speak excellent english. If you are into Kubrik Bergman and Tarkovski there are some good but pricey examples.
Have a browse here..http://www.poster.com.pl/poster-gallery.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rohmerin

#45 Post by rohmerin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Thank you very much for the tips. I'll visit both stores.
I am afraid that I can not afford a Polish Kubrick or a Bergman, my budget and interests are more focused in commedia a'llitaliana or a Spanish old film.

Numero Trois

#46 Post by Numero Trois » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:04 am

Korczak is up on youtube in its entirety. With French subtitles, though. It's a terrific film.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#47 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:13 am

Wielki tydzien (Holy Week) from 1995 is being prepared for eventual DVD release with a new HD telecine. Not previously available it is the story of a fugitive Jewish woman in Warsaw in WW2 at the time of the uprising.

L.A.

#48 Post by L.A. » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Siberian Lady Macbeth (1963)

Are there possibly other DVD releases of this available, besides the one from Kino?

MichaelB

#49 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:44 am

The trailer for Wajda's latest (and very possibly last), the long-awaited and much-delayed biopic Wałęsa, which I've heard may be retitled Man of Hope outside Poland as a conscious harking-back to Wajda's great 1977/81 diptych. I suppose there's a certain amount of continuity in that Lech Wałęsa had a small role in Man of Iron, but it does feel a touch opportunist.

Anyway, while it's hard to assess it fairly without subtitles, it looks distinctly superior to The Iron Lady (its closest British equivalent), and while I can't judge the accuracy of Robert Więckiewicz's voice, he certainly looks the part. But then he always was the living spit of Wałęsa - you only had to add the moustache.

MichaelB

#50 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:41 am

This is intriguing - apparently Wajda is premiering a "director's cut" of Wałęsa: Man of Hope in Karlovy Vary.

I wonder what the differences are?