Edward Yang

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
beamish14

Re: Edward Yang

#226 Post by beamish14 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:52 am

AxeYou wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:23 pm
If anyone’s interested in the piano scores in Yi Yi, I managed to catch a word with Kaili Peng (composer and Yang’s widow) today at Lincoln Center’s Edward Yang retrospective. She said they were hoping to release the scores this year or next.

Did you get the impression that this includes physical releases? I’d love to get some of those on vinyl

AxeYou

#227 Post by AxeYou » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:26 am

I only got a very brief exchange with her while she was leaving the theater. IIRC she said she'd been thinking about releasing them for some time and was now hopeful to make it happen this year or next year. But no specifics beyond that, sorry!

dcsmith

#228 Post by dcsmith » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:57 pm

I have tickets for That Day on the Beach, Mahjong, and Confucian Confusion at BAMPFA in Berkeley, California which is showing all of Yang's movies next month if anyone wants to meet up for coffee before hand.

AxeYou

#229 Post by AxeYou » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:15 am

Broadway Circuit in Hong Kong claims to be screening a “4K restoration” of Yi Yi this month.

I haven’t been able to find any announcement of a 4K restoration anywhere. The current DCP & Blu-ray are based on an HD master from an interpositive scanned on the infamous Spirit Datacine. It’s definitely one of the softer-looking Blu-rays I have. I believe that old restoration is what Lincoln Center screened for their Yang retrospective in December/January. While I certainly hope there is indeed a new restoration, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a misprint.

nicolas

#230 Post by nicolas » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:17 pm

AxeYou wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:15 am
Broadway Circuit in Hong Kong claims to be screening a “4K restoration” of Yi Yi this month.

I haven’t been able to find any announcement of a 4K restoration anywhere. The current DCP & Blu-ray are based on an HD master from an interpositive scanned on the infamous Spirit Datacine. It’s definitely one of the softer-looking Blu-rays I have. I believe that old restoration is what Lincoln Center screened for their Yang retrospective in December/January. While I certainly hope there is indeed a new restoration, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a misprint.
I’m getting my hopes up that it’s a new restoration. I always found it suspicious that there was barely any talk of Yi Yi during the recent Yang retrospectives and restoration talk. It would be only fitting to tackle his final masterpiece as well together with his early films, so maybe they weren’t quite ready to release it.

diamonds

#231 Post by diamonds » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:23 pm

AxeYou wrote:
SIFF is now advertising this too, as part of a "series celebrating the 4K restorations of his five masterpieces"

feihong

#232 Post by feihong » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:19 am

Looks like Happinet in Japan is listing a blu ray of A Confucian Confusion from the new 4k restoration. YesAsia lists it as releasing April 3rd.

andyli

#233 Post by andyli » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:13 am

diamonds wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:23 pm
AxeYou wrote:
SIFF is now advertising this too, as part of a "series celebrating the 4K restorations of his five masterpieces"
Someone who attended the Hong Kong screening reported that it was more or less the same as the Criterion transfer, even starting with the Criterion logo. So don't get your hopes up.