Akira Kurosawa

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
teddyleevin

Re: Akira Kurosawa

#76 Post by teddyleevin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:05 am

Has Those Who Make Tomorrow showed up anywhere? A few dozen people have logged it on Letterboxd. Does it show up in retrospectives from time to time?

In the past few months, this review of Kurosawa's TV documentary Song of the Horse was published. I'd be shocked if it ever gets better treatment than this anytime soon, but it would make a great supplement to any potential future Blu if Criterion can get their hands on it. The DVD is still for sale here for $14.95. I just ordered one in time for a personal Kurosawa retrospective to finish off the 5 (really 6.33333) of his films I've not seen and revisit the rest.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#77 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:03 pm
Michael Kerpan wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:09 pm
At least Kurosawa's Idiot was only slashed to pieces by the studio (with stupid intertitles to fill in some of the gaps created) -- the cinematography and performances themselves were not mucked up....
Having just seen the Kurosawa film two weeks ago, I'm thinking its mutilation was worse than Ambersons from a simple storytelling perspective. The whole first hour of The Idiot is nearly incomprehensible whereas Ambersons still works as a story even as its missing material that would have explained character motivation, supported plot points, and provided an incredibly rich subtext referencing the industrialization of the town. As clumsy as some of the re-shot footage and re-editing looks, it's nothing compared to the ridiculous editing choices in the Kurosawa film (specifically, I'm talking about the laughable "time-lapse" wipes used to shorten scenes where no apparent time has passed).
(moved by me from the Ambersons thread)

I agree, the editorial slashing (and intertitles) are horrendous butchery (probably worse than what was done to Ambersons overall), but what remains is all "original". Since Dostoevsky's Idiot is one of my very favorite ones, I can't judge how hard it might be to follow Kurosawa's film without having the benefit of familiarity with the source.

Roger Ryan

#78 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 am

Not having read the original Dostoevsky novel, I was dependent on the Kurosawa film to work on its own. My reaction to the first 60 minutes or so was "oh boy, I'm going to need to read the novel to understand what's going on here", but the last 90 minutes I found particularly effective. With just one viewing, I feel it's obvious that the studio retained as much of the "second" film (when considering this work as being conceived as two feature-length parts) as possible. The footage chosen to remain in the first half feels arbitrary, but the almost desperate nature of the assembly is astounding: two intertitle interruptions after the story is underway to explain large portions of the plot followed by the surprise appearance of a narrator seven or eight minutes into the film to catch the viewer up a bit more (a narrator who then never returns!). The numerous scenes in the first half reduced to snippets with wipe transitions represent the worst editing I've seen in major studio release. Just heartbreaking that this adaptation was treated this way, especially considering it came between two Kurosawa masterpieces (Rashomon and Ikiru).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#79 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:50 am

It is mystifying that Shochiku did not retain everything and release this as a 2-parter -- as that was still something being done in Japan -- even for prestigious films (like Imai's The Blue (or Green) Mountains.

The last half of the film is more concentrated and intense -- a perfect match for the novel (which I highly recommend -- except for the long rants towards the end in favor of the Russian Orthodox Church and against the Roman Catholic one). I think the cast is as close to perfect as one could possibly imagine. Chieko Higashiyama (the Tokyo Story mother/grandmother) is really wonderful as the Prince's aunt -- as outstanding as the four principals. I don't know if Mifune was ever better than he was in this...

L.A.

#80 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:12 am

Paste Magazine on Stray Dog which is now 70 years old.

wattsup32

#81 Post by wattsup32 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Not totally sure if this is the best place to ask this, but do we think there may be a Bergman, Varda, Fellini style box set coming in the next couple of years? I am trying to decide whether to buy the AK blus I don't yet have during the BN sale.

JSC

#82 Post by JSC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:01 pm

I kind of doubt it, as they already did the AK100 DVD set, the Bergman was also on his centennial as is the Fellini, and with the Varda set they had the rights to the majority of her films. I'd be happy if they'd simply start getting more titles out (Madadayo, Stray Dog, Sanshiro Sugata, Red Beard please!)

wattsup32

#83 Post by wattsup32 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:26 pm

JSC wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:01 pm
I kind of doubt it, as they already did the AK100 DVD set, the Bergman was also on his centennial as is the Fellini, and with the Varda set they had the rights to the majority of her films. I'd be happy if they'd simply start getting more titles out (Madadayo, Stray Dog, Sanshiro Sugata, Red Beard please!)
I am sorry. My question was worded terribly. What I meant to ask was do we think there will be a Kurosawa box with all blu-rays. All of the titles you mention have been released by Criterion as stand alone DVDs (except Madadayo which was only in the AK 100 set). I assume you knew that and so you meant you wish they'd get more titles out on blu-ray. In that case, your point still stands and you think there won't be an AK100 style set coming in blu-ray.

What do others think?

wattsup32

#85 Post by wattsup32 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:05 pm

Thanks for directing me to that thread. The consensus seems to be probably-ish. So I'll hold off on buying the individual blus.

andyli

#86 Post by andyli » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:46 pm

Toho is releasing Ikiru and Stray Dog on 4k UHD in March. Both in SDR. No English subs.

manicsounds

#87 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:58 pm

Unfortunate that like the Blu-rays, Toho decided not to carry over the "It's Wonderful to Create" documentaries to the 4K.

andyli

#88 Post by andyli » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:22 am

It's interesting that Toho chose to start with these two non-samurai titles. I wonder if they would appeal to the UHD buying crowd. Also, like Universal did with the Hitchcocks, Toho seems to be giving up the wholesale approach and instead choosing to have the master's works trickle out.

andyli

#89 Post by andyli » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:05 am

andyli wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:22 am
It's interesting that Toho chose to start with these two non-samurai titles. I wonder if they would appeal to the UHD buying crowd. Also, like Universal did with the Hitchcocks, Toho seems to be giving up the wholesale approach and instead choosing to have the master's works trickle out.
I take back what's been said. In addition to the four already-announced UHD releases, now they have High and Low and Kagemusha set for May. At this speed, half of his oeuvre will be out on UHD by the year's end.

andyli

#90 Post by andyli » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:09 am

manicsounds

#91 Post by manicsounds » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:25 pm

On the weekend I rented some VHS tapes from a store that's soon to close their rental business including their rare selection of videotapes. There were two Akira Kurosawa documentaries that as far as I can tell have never been reissued digitally. 「黒澤明の世界」 ("The World of Akira Kurosawa") (1979) and 「黒澤明と仲間たち」 ("Akira Kurosawa and His Team") (1985). (Neither have IMDB entries or English titles so those are just literal translations)

"The World of Akira Kurosawa" was shot on 16mm film and is a comprehensive 79 minute documentary on the making of "Kagemusha". Someone posted a low quality video on Nico-Nico Doga in two parts:
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19875349
There are scenes of Kurosawa getting frustrated on set and complaining to his staff and actors, footage of original actor Shintaro Katsu in wardrobe before he was let go, press conference footage including Katsu's after the announcement, lots of behind the scenes footage and exclusive interviews of Kurosawa during the six month production.

"Akira Kurosawa and His Friends" is a shot-on-video roundtable interview with Kurosawa along with many of his longtime collaborating crew, including Ishiro Honda, Teruyo Nogami, etc. as they chat while drinking and eating, shot during the production of "Ran" in a studio setting. The 90 minute documentary isn't particular to "Ran" but everyone recalling a number of Kurosawa's works from the past, from where they started to behind the scenes stories.

Both have quite a number of clips and trailers from various films within, but they are both fascinating works and footage that have curiously been trapped in the analog age. Especially with "The World of Akira Kurosawa", there must be origiinal film elements to be able to work with, but as seeing Toho is not interesting in putting documentaries or featurettes on their newly released Kurosawa UHDs and Blu-ray reissues, who knows if these will ever see the light of day again?