John Waters

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Raymond Marble

Re: John Waters

#126 Post by Raymond Marble » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:20 am

John Waters' new book Carsick comes out today (June 3rd). If you're so inclined, you can get signed copies from Atomic Books here: http://www.atomicbooks.com/index.php/ca ... erica.html (Sorry, not presently remembering how to make a nicer-looking link. Damn my lack of sleep!) Atomic Books is the bookstore in Baltimore that receives John Waters' fan mail, though he doesn't own the place. Either way, it beats the hell out of getting the book from Amazon.

Gregory

#127 Post by Gregory » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:04 pm

So, I've seen it observed that Ursula from The Little Mermaid resembles Divine, but I don't quite see it; I'm seeing a more uncanny resemblance with Jessica Rabbit's face:
The weird hairline that looks like a wig is slipping off the back of her head, the shape of the head, the lips, the almost vertical eyebrows...

Moving along, more interestingly, I was just reading a book that refers in passing to a New York production of Medea that starred Divine as the eponymous lead, and Blondie’s Gary Valentine (Lachman) and photographer Lisa Persky as Medea's ill-fated children. So I thought it was a stage thing, but then this datebook entry refers to shooting it with David Lochary, and says they called it "Media" because it was back when video was "new." Does anyone know if it was a video work and if it's ever been seen?

Raymond Marble

#128 Post by Raymond Marble » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:41 am

When I saw that there was a new post in this thread I assumed it was to mention the complete retrospective Lincoln Center is putting on in September, to include even the early, impossible-to-see, not-even-available-as-bootlegs short films ("Hag in a Black Leather Jacket," "Eat Your Makeup," "Roman Candles"). I'm super excited; there is a trip to New York in my future.

But no, I have no answers about your Medea question, sadly. I'd definitely be interested in hearing updates, if you find any further information.

hearthesilence

#129 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:51 am

Re-posted by MUBI:

FrauBlucher

John Waters

#130 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:16 am

Look, it's Steve Buscemi's younger brother.

bearcuborg

#131 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:50 am

Maybe you should take another look at that picture...

FrauBlucher

#132 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:51 pm

#-o That's what happens when you look at stuff on your phone.

bottled spider

#133 Post by bottled spider » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:17 am

In case you ever wondered to yourself "What is John Waters' favourite poem?", the answer is here. Read at your own risk.

FrauBlucher

#134 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Blutarsky

#135 Post by Blutarsky » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:16 pm

I felt this was the best place to place it. In tradition of the yearly output of John Waters films, it looks like Pink Flamingos and Desperate Living are OOP from WAC’s DVD. Even though it has been speculated for a year and a half that Flamingos was to get a blu Ray from WAC, maybe they changed their hearts to see Criterion giving Waters the proper treatment he deserves.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I must admit, getting these yearly Waters rereleases is a major treat. A 4K Restoration of the classic Chicken Sex Scene with commentary would practically make my year. Long live the Pope of Trash!

Aunt Peg

#137 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:25 am

Thanks for posting Waters' list. I'll catch up with the ones I haven't seen. So glad he loved Swallow.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#138 Post by Never Cursed » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:52 am

Glad to see more Deerskin love!

therewillbeblus

#139 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:16 am

If that one didn't make his list I'd be worried about him