Roman Polanski

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

swo17

Re: Roman Polanski

#76 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:31 pm

aox wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:29 pm
Polanski has been expelled from the Academy

along with Bill Cosby
He was expelled last year, the more recent news is that he's suing for reinstatement as brought up here

furbicide

#77 Post by furbicide » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 am

I’m kind of surprised he cares so much about it, to be honest. What do you get from being a member of the Academy, apart from getting to vote for their silly awards? It’s not like Polanski needs the legitimacy, and I’m guessing he won’t be attending any US-based industry shindigs any time soon...

dda1996a

#78 Post by dda1996a » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:04 am

I think it's more on principle I guess

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#79 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 am

Poland has released a complete Polanski Blu-Ray set, with shorts and every feature (yes, all of them, allegedly even the segment Polanski made Olive cut) and English subs. Some caps here. Note that Carnage appears to be cropped for some reason (though that’s a bargain bin title) and the Ghost Writer is opened up (not cropped), and several titles are in 25/1080i

FrauBlucher

#80 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon May 27, 2019 8:48 pm

kekid

#81 Post by kekid » Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 am
Poland has released a complete Polanski Blu-Ray set, with shorts and every feature (yes, all of them, allegedly even the segment Polanski made Olive cut) and English subs. Some caps here. Note that Carnage appears to be cropped for some reason (though that’s a bargain bin title) and the Ghost Writer is opened up (not cropped), and several titles are in 25/1080i
According to the listing for this item on Amazon.com, discs on this set do not have English subtitles.

Roscoe

#82 Post by Roscoe » Wed May 29, 2019 11:24 am

Scorsese's evident delight in at least not having lost to Rob Fucking Marshall is my main memory of that event.

vertovfan

#83 Post by vertovfan » Fri May 31, 2019 1:55 am

Empik and dvdmax.pl both list English subtitles (napisy: angielskie) on the big Polanski set from Poland, as does domino's link (for the non-English films, at least - the English-language features appear to have only Polish subs). It's also the same packaging as the Wajda set from a year or two ago, which I can confirm is completely English-friendly. The screencaps for the short films Rozbijemy Zabawę... and Lampa look much better than what I remember from the UK blu-ray release of Knife in the Water - I'm no expert, but the shorts on that disc looked like upconverts to me.

If only that Wajda set had been released on blu-ray as well!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#84 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Chinatown has gone up on iTunes, Vudu, and the Microsoft Store for purchase in UHD. It includes the commentary by David Fincher and Robert Towne and a bunch of bonus material. Not sure if that means a restored disc is on the way.

Also worth noting that it's not compatible with Movies Anywhere since it's Paramount, so. Choose carefully where you buy it, because that'll be the only place you can watch it.

black&huge

#85 Post by black&huge » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Fincher commentary? I hope this gets a criterion release

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#86 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 am

Worth noting that the aforementioned digital version of Chinatown is currently only $4.99 on iTunes (4K UHD and bonus features are included by default), and that an Apple TV app will be out for Roku and other streaming devices by the fall, according to Apple. Perhaps as soon as next week when the new line of phones is announced and their streaming service is presumably detailed. So you could buy it now and even if you don't have an Apple device to watch it on, you could presumably do so very soon.
black&huge wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:57 pm
Fincher commentary? I hope this gets a criterion release
The commentary made an appearance on the 2012 Blu-ray, so you can buy it very inexpensively now! It has just also been carried over to the UHD digital version, and the film being in that resolution is new (especially since it sounds like it's not the same restoration as said Blu-ray)