Luchino Visconti

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Lowry_Sam

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#176 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:06 am

I thought I heard something about a restoration of Rocco & His Brothers, but in looking online I don't see anything...perhaps it was just my wishful thinking, as the current (US) dvd is horrible & I've held out buying the MOC in hopes of a blu-ray release some time soon.

Matt

Re: Criterion and Sony

#177 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:30 am

Rocco was restored several years ago. The MoC DVD presents that version. Milestone (who I think still owns the distribution rights in the US) never came out with a DVD or BD of the restoration. Their old DVD is still in print. TF1 in France was supposed to release a BD a couple of years ago (see above) but apparently never did. That would have been the first HD release of the film, and there are currently no others. My guess is no HD transfer exists.

criterion10

Re: Luchino Visconti

#178 Post by criterion10 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:31 pm

I don't believe there is a separate thread for The Damned, which I watched for the first time yesterday, so I'll post a review I wrote for the film here:

Luchino Visconti's The Damned is one of the more frustrating films I have seen in recent memory, because for every step it takes forward, it also takes two backwards.

The first act of the film is easily the most cohesive and well-established, though even this part is not without many of the flaws found later in the film. Much information is instantly thrown at the viewers, by having characters (some of which are very easy to mix-up and confuse, due to their similar looks) reveal their extensive plans about their impending actions. It's all given in such a dialogue-heavy manner that it often becomes rather difficult for the viewer to follow. However, the first act does lead towards a logical conclusion, a Macbeth-like scheme that pulls the audience directly into the story.

But, as it continues onwards, it becomes clear that Visconti is not quite sure what direction he seeks to take his film towards. The film often shifts focus from character to character, no one in particular being as well developed as they should be, nor with any clear storyline being established. And while, one does get the impression that the film is truly about Martin, played by a wonderfully sinister Helmut Berger, his character is never directly the center of the film, nor developed well enough to make it possible for the audience to entirely invest in him.

(An interesting note that I find rather telling is that Visconti originally centered the film around Dirk Bogarde's character in the original four-hour edit. It appears that shortening the film by such a great length might have had a negative effect on the storyline and a general sense of inability to properly restructure the film.)

Visconti directs the film in a highly stylized, borderline campy manner that both works to its advantage and disadvantage. At times, the wonderful costumes and set designs, operatic manner similar to that of a soap opera, and frequent zooms so very reminiscent of the 1970s make the film stylistically a treat to enjoy.

Yet it does become rather excessive, and especially with a running time of nearly 160 minutes, it could have easily been twenty minutes shorter (there is one sequence referred to as the "Night of Long Knives," involving a homosexual Nazi orgy, that should have been left entirely on the cutting room floor, as it was in the original American release). I can't say I was ever really bored though, so that's a plus. Visconti also drowns his scenes in zoom after zoom, reaching a point that I am sure would even Jess Franco rolling his eyes.

Though for all its warts, there is something rather interesting about watching these awful, despicable human beings, corrupted by power and greed, embark on a series of twists and turns, trying to out-do one another for a greater rank. In this regard, The Damned does have a rather Shakespearean edge to it, albeit unfortunately without the refined aspects around the edges that made the renowned writer's works so great.

GaryC

#179 Post by GaryC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Mubi UK are currently streaming an HD version of Sandra (Vaghe stelle dell'orsa..., or Of a Thousand Delights as it was called on its UK cinema release in 1965). This version has English audio, rather oddly. It's available until 16 August.

L'innocente is also being streamed, until 17 August. This has Italian audio with English subtitles, but is SD.

Toby Dammit

Re: Luchino Visconti on DVD

#180 Post by Toby Dammit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:48 am

This thread's been dead for quite a while. Some random updates are necessary

1.- Rocco and his Brothers. The 4k restoration was edited by Masters of Cinema in 2016. Region A/1 is not realised yet. Milestone films has the rights, according to what I readed

2.- The Witches (episode "La Stregha brucciata Viva") is out this week on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK and will be released in the US January 30th, by Arrow

3.- The Innocent. Realised by Cult Film in 2017, region Free

4.- Ludwig. Realised by Arrow Academy in 2017. Beautifully restored and presented.

5.- Conversation Piece. Dual Format edition by Master of Cinema in 2016. I have a previous BluRay edition by Raro Video.. Beware! wax image

6.- Vaghe Stelle dell'Orsa / Sandra: Was restored in 2013 by the Cineteca di Bologna, and exhibited in the section of Classics in the Venice Festival. No BluRay edition was realised in USA or UK to date. ( The Spanish BluRay is a bootleg. Poor image that recalls a mediocre DVD. To refrain)

7.- Death in Venice. I have no news of a new restoration or a first edition on BluRay

8.- The Damned. Same.. no news

hearthesilence

#181 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 pm

Still waiting for the Film Foundation restoration of The Leopard to get an English-language BD release (subtitled, that is) that will stay in-print.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#182 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Yes. If Criterion can rerelease Monterey Pop, hopefully they can take another stab at this as well.

Toby Dammit

#183 Post by Toby Dammit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 pm

You're right. Criterion took the strange decision to reissued its old HD master and not take the restoration in 4k, which was released in France and Italy on similar date. -I will update my old post, which was on the previous page-

0.- The Leopard. The 4k restoration was edited in France in 2012. Region A/1 is realised by Criterion with his own old HD master in 2014.

1.- Rocco and his Brothers. The 4k restoration was edited by Masters of Cinema in 2016. Region A/1 is not realised yet. Milestone films has the rights, according to what I readed

2.- The Witches (episode "La Stregha brucciata Viva") is out this week on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK and will be released in the US January 30th, by Arrow

3.- The Innocent. Realised by Cult Film in 2017, region Free

4.- Ludwig. Realised by Arrow Academy in 2017. Beautifully restored and presented.

5.- Conversation Piece. Dual Format edition by Master of Cinema in 2016. I have a previous BluRay edition by Raro Video.. Beware! wax image

6.- Vaghe Stelle dell'Orsa / Sandra: Was restored in 2013 by the Cineteca di Bologna, and exhibited in the section of Classics in the Venice Festival. No BluRay edition was realised in USA or UK to date. ( The Spanish BluRay is a bootleg. Poor image that recalls a mediocre DVD. To refrain)

7.- Death in Venice. I have no news of a new restoration or a first edition on BluRay

8.- The Damned. Same.. no news

rohmerin

#184 Post by rohmerin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm

The Leopard is on Blu in Italy by Medussa in a two disc with a documentary Tornatore made about Lombardo, the producer. I thinks it-s the 4K but I'm not sure.

Conversation Piece, I've got the French blu. It was produced by Gaumont. I don't know about its transfer or differencies.

You forget Senso. Criterion, Studio Canal in France, I own both.
Cristaldi in Italy also has White Nights and Senso on Blu. I don't own any.

Toby Dammit

#185 Post by Toby Dammit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:08 pm

rohmerin wrote:The Leopard is on Blu in Italy by Medussa in a two disc with a documentary Tornatore made about Lombardo, the producer. I thinks it-s the 4K but I'm not sure.
The italian Bluy Ray for The Leopard is the 4k restoration.. 99% secure.
rohmerin wrote:You forget Senso. Criterion, Studio Canal in France, I own both.
Cristaldi in Italy also has White Nights and Senso on Blu. I don't own any.
I did not mention SENSO because has its definitive editions in BluRay both in America and in Europe. Le Notti Bianche can have a Criterion upgrade any day in the near future, because the HD master is very good

Missing titles:

Lo Straniero/The Stranger, Probably the lost Visconti ... I think it does not have a decent edition not even on DVD. According to my memory it had many problems with rights.

La Terra Trema and Ossessione need a major restoration. I think the masters that exist are just as acceptable DVD

hearthesilence

#186 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:42 pm

rohmerin wrote:The Leopard is on Blu in Italy by Medusa in a two disc with a documentary Tornatore made about Lombardo, the producer. I thinks it-s the 4K but I'm not sure.
A warning about the Medusa disc, it looks like it has a significant contrast boost, especially compared to the French BD of the same restoration. (Unfortunately the French disc does not have English subtitles.)

rohmerin

#187 Post by rohmerin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 pm

The stranger was re released in French cinemas in 2009 by Las acacias but apparently there-s no French DVD.

http://www.acaciasfilms.com/film/l-etranger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look the poster: Paramount, Les Acacias and CCN.

Jack Phillips

#188 Post by Jack Phillips » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Yes, I was disappointed with the Medusa disc myself and have gone back to the Criterion (I haven't seen the Pathe).

bugsy_pal

#189 Post by bugsy_pal » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm

I have the elusive Australian BD of The Leopard from late 2011. It also uses the 4K restoration. It looks pretty good to me - blacks are darker, perhaps to the point of losing some detail. From memory it has the dreaded yellow subtitles, but is at least English-friendly.

Robespierre

#190 Post by Robespierre » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:56 am

I'm taken aback at the fact that this Visconti thread has few replies; perhaps the film specific threads have more activity? Anyway, I love Visconti's operatic tendencies and the films I've seen from him overflow with passion; even death in Venice, which I kind of hated, contains his always elaborate mis en scene. Rocco is one of my favourite movies and I wonder who has the rights in region A? It seems like a shoe in for CC and MOC already put out their disc.

Werewolf by Night

#191 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:25 pm

Milestone Films has been working on their Region A Rocco disc for quite a time. No recent news on that, alas.

Fred Holywell

#192 Post by Fred Holywell » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:Milestone Films has been working on their Region A Rocco disc for quite a time. No recent news on that, alas.
As of November '17, Rocco is supposed to be coming early this year.

Jonathan S

#193 Post by Jonathan S » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Robespierre wrote:I'm taken aback at the fact that this Visconti thread has few replies; perhaps the film specific threads have more activity?
There is a parallel Visconti thread with recent posts covering Bluray releases (despite the title). Maybe they should be merged?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#194 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Jonathan S wrote:
Robespierre wrote:I'm taken aback at the fact that this Visconti thread has few replies; perhaps the film specific threads have more activity?
There is a parallel Visconti thread with recent posts covering Bluray releases (despite the title). Maybe they should be merged?
Done

Fred Holywell

#195 Post by Fred Holywell » Wed May 23, 2018 5:05 pm

The Film Society of Lincoln Center is presenting Visconti: A Retrospective June 8 - 28.

The series will also screen at Harvard Film Archive (Cambridge, MA), TIFF (Toronto, ON), Bampfa (Berkeley, CA), National Gallery of Art (Washington, D.C.), MFAH (Houston, TX), and The Gene Siskel Film Center (Chicago, IL).

Visconti, a Complete Retrospective of the Italian Cinema Titan, Starts June 8

Saimo

#196 Post by Saimo » Thu May 24, 2018 6:35 am

Ripley's Film (who already released a good DVD in 2009) is currently working on a new Ossessione restoration, from newly discovered 35mm elements.

Toby Dammit

#197 Post by Toby Dammit » Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 am

Saimo wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:35 am
Ripley's Film (who already released a good DVD in 2009) is currently working on a new Ossessione restoration, from newly discovered 35mm elements.
Those are great news!

Stefan Andersson

#198 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:16 pm

"Operazione Gattopardo" (Ed. Feltrinelli, 404 pages) seems like an interesting, Italian-language book about the film.

I don´t read Italian, so haven´t read the book. Found some intriguing info, though, here:
http://www.bookciakmagazine.it/togliatt ... attopardo/

The book has info about a 197-minute version of the film, shown March 27, 1963 in Rome and containing around five scenes not in the Cannes version at 185 minutes:
"the nightmares of prince Fabrizio in the inn of Bisaquino, a comparison between Sedàra and the peasants, a dialogue between Conte Cavriaghi (Mario Girotti, future Terence Hill) and Angelica in the attics, a conversation between Sedàra and Tancredi in the living room and a further exchange of jokes between the prince and Colonel Pallavicino (Ivo Garrani).Fragments that today are lost." (Google translation)

205 minutes is often noted as the length of the film pre-Cannes. The difference between 197 and 205 minutes might be due to intermission time and, possibly, exit music.

More information here, from the same book:
https://cinema.fanpage.it/a-50-anni-dal ... e-inedite/

"Alberto Anile and Maria Gabriella Giannice, authors of the book "Operation Gattopardo", have rediscovered some cut scenes among which we find Don Fabrizio in a hotel room intent to flirt with a cocotte, or Tancredi who urges Don Calogero to use the military against peasants and Pallavicino who prophesies the arrival of the black shirts." (Google translation)

I hope the writers of the book, and/or the article quoted, haven´t mixed up cut scenes with other scenes featuring Tancredi, Don Calogero and Pallavicino still existing in the 185-minute version.

I believe the scene with Fabrizio in the hotel room can be glimpsed in one of the film´s trailers.

The writers of the book have also done a short documentary, "I Due Gattopardi". More info about scenes with Don Calogero talking to peasants, and then to Tancredi, can be found here:
https://www.corriere.it/spettacoli/13_o ... 875c.shtml

For info about the Ludwig screenplay, go here (in French):
http://www.cinematheque.fr/article/1118.html
Visconti originally preferred a 4,5-hour version.

Extensive credits, including music list:
http://www.cinematheque.fr/film/43889.html

Mods: hope I haven´t posted the last two links before!

Fred Holywell

#199 Post by Fred Holywell » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Thanks for the info and links, Stefan. A few years ago, I posted about two of the lost scenes here and here. And I posted about the three scenes that survived in their French versions here.

Stefan Andersson

#200 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Fred Holywell wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:36 pm
Thanks for the info and links, Stefan. A few years ago, I posted about two of the lost scenes here and here. And I posted about the three scenes that survived in their French versions here.
Glad you appreciated the info and links!

Many thanks for reminding me of your earlier posts. Great reading!

Two of the scenes on YouTube, with Don Calogero talking to peasants and Tancredi, are discussed in a short documentary, "I due gattopardi", made by the writers of "Operazione Gattopardo". I don´t think the docu is on any home video release of the film, but it was shown alongside the restored Gattopardo at Il Cinema Ritrovato, and in rerelease in Italian cinemas, in 2013 (see the Corriere della Sera article I linked to).

Other sources:
http://distribuzione.ilcinemaritrovato. ... attopardi/
http://www.dagospia.com/rubrica-2/media ... -65418.htm
https://www.indie-eye.it/cinema/alcinem ... urata.html