Woody Allen

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
justinbaker2

#26 Post by justinbaker2 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:41 pm

denti alligator wrote:And I guess only Michael and I think Broadway Danny Rose is up there with the best of them.
Count me in for "Broadway Danny Rose." The little Thanksgiving party followed by the across-the-street tracking shot is one of the most poignant bits in all of cinema for me.

swingo

#27 Post by swingo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:54 pm

I agree. for me, Broadway Danny Rose has one of the greatest beginnings in all the films I've seen. the reunion at the delicatessen is superb.

Lino

#28 Post by Lino » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:57 am

Just eschewing the debate for a side road for a bit but I'd really would like to know which one of "the early, funny ones" you guys like the best.

For my part, I keep changing my position: it used to be Love and Death, then Bananas, then the italian segment of Everything you always(...), and now it's Take the Money and Run which I didn't like at all when I first saw it and it's grown on me since then to occupy the pole position!

Any thoughts?

skuhn8

#29 Post by skuhn8 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:04 am

Haven't seen the "early, funny ones" in many years, so definitely time to revisit (sadly unavailable for rental in this neck of the woods--zip, nada). But at last appraisal I loved Love and Death and despised Bananas with the rest falling in between.

My first exposure to Woody Allen was Sleeper...when I was about 5 years old. I didn't know it was supposed to be funny, and of course would have no idea who or what a Woody Allen would be but it had a big influence on my dreams for the next ten years or so until I finally rewatched it and realized it wasn't some Kubrickian sci-fi post-apocalyptic nightmare as perpetuated and expanded in my dreams, but rather, a trite aged comedy.

devlinnn

#30 Post by devlinnn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:03 am

Play it Again, Sam for me, by a wide margin these days. The one key theme and obsession that runs through all of Woody's work, that of dealing with reality when the dreams of imagination are far more enticing, finds it's beginnings here. As the final moments of Casablanca play out, the close-up profile of Woody, agog and lost in dreams, sums up the next 30 years perfectly. Not just for him, but us also. The original play is brougt to the screen with delicate simplicity, the performances pitch-perfect. Keaton really is a comic genius, and her partnership with Allen here sublime.

That Woody decided not to direct this one allowed him the freedom to observe, listen and interact with fellow actors on a better level than previous films also. We also have a complete, strong story, with a number of set pieces to rival Chaplin and Keaton. It still hurts from pain and laughter to watch him set the mood for his blind date, and the ending really is the stuff that dreams are made of. A minor masterpiece.

Fletch F. Fletch

#31 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:23 am

Annie Mall wrote:Just eschewing the debate for a side road for a bit but I'd really would like to know which one of "the early, funny ones" you guys like the best.
Speaking of which, has anyone heard or know if Woody Allen's comedy albums are any good? Albums like Standup Comic or Woody Allen on Comedy? Just curious...

flambeur

#32 Post by flambeur » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:53 am

Stand up comic is good, includes:
Compact disc.
Recorded live at Eugene's, San Francisco, Aug. 1968, The Shadows, Washington, D.C., Apr. 1965 and Mr. Kelly's, Chicago, Mar. 1964.
All selections previously released.

Contents: The vodka ad -- Vegas -- Second marriage -- The great Renaldo -- Mechanical objects -- The moose -- Kidnapped -- Unhappy childhood -- The science fiction film -- Eggs Benedict -- Oral contraception -- European trip -- The lost generation -- Private life -- Brooklyn -- The army -- Pets -- My grandfather -- My marriage -- Bullet in my breast pocket -- N.Y.U. -- A love story -- The police -- Down south -- Summing up.
I've found some of these jokes, bits have appeared in some of his films as well.

Galen Young

#33 Post by Galen Young » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:09 am

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Albums like Standup Comic or Woody Allen on Comedy? Just curious...
Pure gold! His standup material fits hand in glove with all his writings, plays and films. It's a real time capsule which is part of its charm I think. Whenever I feel a bit blue, I throw this disc on and all my worries melt away in tears of laughter. (I usually alternate Woody's Standup Comic with William S. Burroughs Dead City Radio...!)

Costas

#34 Post by Costas » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:34 am

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Speaking of which, has anyone heard or know if Woody Allen's comedy albums are any good?
As far as I know, this collection contains all his recorded output. Great stuff.

Fletch F. Fletch

#35 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:05 pm

Costas wrote:As far as I know, this collection contains all his recorded output. Great stuff.
Looks good... thanks!

Gordon

#36 Post by Gordon » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:39 am

I'll just let the man speak for himself:

"If you don't fail now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe." - Woody Allen

Dylan

#37 Post by Dylan » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:40 pm

I heard from somebody that on that dismal show “The View,â€

Michael

#38 Post by Michael » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:31 pm

Dylan, reading your words made me want to go through the Woody Allen phase again. Beautifully expressed.

During the 80s when Woody Allen was in his prime, every time his new film came to my small town.. it was a special event for me. I fondly remember going to see Hannah And Her Sisters four times in one week... and how much I wanted a friend like Holly - a glorious performance by Dianne Wiest, wasn't it? What Allen gave me as a teen was a wholly wonderful world of beautifully rich, intelligent, passionate, charming folks and his love for art inspired me so tremendously that he made me feel not so "lonely" in that small town I grew up in. I longed for that world so much that I moved to NYC immediately after my high school graduation. It was the best time of my life.

Anyway, I've never seen Celebrity but after learning how much you love it, I will look for this film with much anticipation.
Last edited by Michael on Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flambeur

#39 Post by flambeur » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:32 pm

Well here's my simple take, albeit brief. Many people, may I say especially women, find his mannerisms both on and off screen annoying and childish and basically have had enough of this act. Example being my wife, I can watch his films till the cows come home but my wife, despite liking many of his films finds him annoying, especially since he's in most of them. Basically, his act wears thin after awhile.

Again, I'm only speaking from what I think is my wife's perception and maybe a universal perception, he comes across as a whining, juvenile delinquent on screen and off. There's no denying his talent, but it takes a great deal of patience to put up with his personal demeanor.

Astroman
FAQ: "Man or Astroman?"

#40 Post by Astroman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:53 pm

Anybody else feel that Woody Allen is unfairly disliked/maligned?
Yes and no. First off, I'm a huge Woody Allen fan. Have been since I saw a double feature of Take the Money and Run and Young Frankenstein back in the mid-70s. I was in grade school at the time (such a lucky kid), and to this day it remains one of the three cinematic epiphanies that's helped shaped my filmic and personal sensibilities.

I've seen everything he's done, at least up until recent years. Seeing Curse of the Jade Scorpion was such a hollow experience for me, I haven't been too interested in seeing his newer work since. I will, eventually. I still revisit Love and Death, Annie Hall, and Husbands and Wives, to name three, every year or so. But to "serious" film folk like you or I, I don't think his new work has been perceived as very good, I'm sorry to say.

Now, for the more casual moviegoer, and the audience of The View in particular, his work hasn't been paid attention to at all, not since the early nineties and his tabloid-ready personal life took shape. I have defended him to whomever wished to focus on his lifestyle (as opposed to his work) whenever his name came up. Unfortunately, it comes up whenever he's interviewed, and quotes about his "paternal" relationship with his wife are excerpted in the celebrity section of the daily newspaper. I'm certain he could care less what people think about the choices he's made in his life, but damn if it doesn't seem like he's giving ammunition to his detractors. Hence the tisk-tisk-ing on thoughtful daytime television programming (an oxymoron, surely).

I'm not saying it's fair. Woody Allen has made some of my favorite films, with moments both funny and serious that I often think of fondly, and recall in conversation with my friends ("Did you say... wheat?"). But that's how I see it.

jorencain

#41 Post by jorencain » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:19 pm

I think the common misconception is that he slept with his adopted daughter. Whenever I try to explain the facts of the situation to anybody, they don't want to hear it, since they've already made up their minds. I think that, after all the media-hype surrounding him, Soon-Yi, and Mia Farrow, he could have tried to change his public image. He didn't, for better or for worse, and I think the image has stuck for those who don't care to look into it at all.

Anyway, concerning "Celebrity"...I'm also a big fan of this film, although I wouldn't rank it as high as Dylan does (what's your #1?). For me, the problem is that it isn't very funny. If I watch it as a Woody Allen drama, without expectations of big laughs, then I think it works very well. I agree that the cinematography is gorgeous, perhaps the most beautiful in his entire output, and I enjoyed Branagh's performance quite a bit. While I still think he's a very funny person, his last 5 films or so have packed a little less of the comedic punch that his earlier work does.

I really can't wait to see "Match Point." No matter what his critical response is, I'll always be in line to see his next film.

emcflat

#42 Post by emcflat » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:47 pm

So long as this thread has been so violently resurrected :) , there seems to be something missing. What about Without Feathers, Getting Even and Side Effects? My introduction to Woody was by his hilarious prose, which was given to me as a gift by a friend of mine. I can't believe that no one here has read and loved these, as I first did in High School, which was a great starting point for me. Every bit as endearing and ridiculous as his best slapstick moments and to me it blows his stand-up out of the water.

As far as his "nebbish" persona, be it exaggerated or not, I don't find it trying at all, mostly because he can manipulate it so well. Rarely is it played solely for the low gags, and even when it is there is always some kind of intelligence behind it. The fact that Woody is at least trying to write movies for intelligent people and get them made consistently at his age should be lauded and cherished. He works with excellent DP's and his films are always beautiful to look at. It's been said before and it will be said again: bad Woody Allen is better than good (insert hack director of your choice.) WAY better, IMO.

It goes back to that line "If you don't fail now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe." I am sure that he completely believes that, and that is inspiring. All directors should be so comfortable with themselves and their output! Woody Allen is a comedic genius who loves to work and does it well all the time and greatly some of the time. That's more than good enough for me.

David Ehrenstein

#43 Post by David Ehrenstein » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:15 pm

He has alays been a slight comic talent -- treated by the NYT as if he were a major one. Hell, as if he were God. Broadway Danny Rose is my favorite followed by Annie Hall. Never much cared for Manhattan. Of his recent work Bullets Over Broadway, Everyone Says I Love You and Manhattan Murder Mystery are enjoyable. The rest are spotty to unbearable.

Dylan

#44 Post by Dylan » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:15 pm

First and foremost, I don't believe that Woody Allen has ever made a bad film. Yes, a few of them I've found to be decent at best ("What's Up Tiger Lily?" or "Hollywood Ending"), but nothing that's come from him can be considered 'bad', at least in my opinion. The harshest I could be on an Allen film would be my opinions of "Hollywood Ending" and "Jade Scorpion," neither are bad but both are in my bottom five of his works. The problem I have with both is that I feel that they start off very weak and unbelievably, but once you hit about the thirty-five minute mark in both, they start to become enjoyable, with some good laughs.

I personally was floored by "Anything Else," a great film which at the time I saw it I thought would start a big revival of Allen among young adults, but that didn't happen and in turn became his biggest bomb. His last film, "Melinda and Melinda," was even better, a lovely, intelligent, sad, and spectacularly funny movie. And "Match Point" keeps seeming more and more promising.

I find it interesting that "Broadway Danny Rose" seems to be the favorite of so many who are only casual fans of Allen (and many who aren't fans at all still like it). While I certainly like it, it's never been one of my favorites.

Of his early funny ones, my favorite is probably "Love and Death," which is literally a huge laugh every minute, so much so that it becomes rather intoxicating (at least for me, and I've seen it at least five times). It's also beautifully shot by Robert Bresson's cinematographer, Ghislain Cloquet. I also find "Play it Again, Sam" to be an excellent film.

emc, I just ordered "The Complete Prose of Woody Allen" online and I can't wait to read it. A month ago I read the entire "Woody Allen on Woody Allen" in just a day, a riveting and personal book, great for fans. And while I don't have his standup CD, I have heard it, and it's wonderfully funny. And yes, I find it amazing that he completes a film every year, and I'll always be in line opening day for a new Allen film.

Michael, don't set your hopes too high for "Celebrity," as many don't like it. I'm not sure if you'll like it, but I'll be interested to hear what you think regardless. Joren, I do find it funny (especially when Branagh has that flashback of his high school reunion, or when he dances with Theron at the nightclub...hilarious), though I mostly look at it as a fascinating, neurotic, rather tragic, and decadent look at the nightlife (not even that of a celebrity, as Branagh isn't in the film, just of anybody who loves to hang out at night). I think it's Allen's most "modern" film, despite being in black and white (and I don't think I'd like it nearly as much had it been in color).

And yes, I can't tell you how many times I've heard he slept with his adopted daughter, or even worst, he slept with his daughter. What crap, and that just proves that people who dismiss him just cling to that as the reason they don't like him because they don't care to find a good reason. It was the adopted daughter of his girlfriend, and there is a world of difference. And from what I hear and read, it's a great relationship, (what I saw in "Wild Man Blues" was very paternal and sweet). And now she's 35, and one of the most well-known modern women in New York, and it's obvious that it's a great relationship because it's lasted 13 years.

And I agree with flambeur that women seem to find his mannerisms off putting and unattractive. Personally, I don't think think he's a bad-looking guy, so I guess it's more the way he presents himself that women don't like. I think guys can typically understand him more than women, though I'm still trying to figure out exactly why.

Michael, Wiest is wonderful in "Hannah and Her Sisters" (and won the Oscar), and I understand your wanting a friend like her character. Personally, especially during my senior year in high school, I really wanted a friend like his character Isaac in "Manhattan."

Dylan
Last edited by Dylan on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David Ehrenstein

#45 Post by David Ehrenstein » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:49 pm

Ghislain Cloquet also shot Mickey One. Love Dianne Weist in Bullets Over Broadway --"Don't speak!"

Gordon

#46 Post by Gordon » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:33 pm

I shot a moose, once. I was hunting up-state New York, and I shot a moose, and I strap him on to the fender of my car, and I'm driving home along the west side highway, but what I didn't realize was, that the bullet did not penetrate the moose. It just creased the scalp, knocking him unconscious. And I'm driving through the Holland tunnel - the moose woke up. So I'm driving with a live moose on my fender. The moose is signaling for a turn, y'know. There's a law in New York state against driving with a conscious moose on your fender, tuesday, thursday and saturday. And I'm very panicky, and then it hits me: some friends of mine is having a costume party. I'll go, I'll take the moose, I'll ditch him at the party. It wouldn't be my responsibility.

So I drive up to the party and I knock on the door. The moose is next to me. My host comes to the door. I say "Hello. You know the Solomons". We enter. The moose mingles. Did very well. Scored. Two guys were trying to sell him insurance for an hour and a half. Twelve o'clock comes - they give out prices for the best costume of the night. First price goes to the Burcowiches, a maried couple dressed as a moose. The moose comes in second. The moose is furious. He and the Burcowiches lock antlers in the living room. They knock each other unconscious. Now, I figured, is my chance. I grab the moose, strap him onto my fender, and shoot back to the roads, but - I got the Burcowiches. So I'm driving along with two jewish people on my fender, and there's a law in New York State ... tuesdays, thursdays and especially saturday.

The following morning the Burcowiches wake up in the woods, in a moose suit. Mr. Burcowich is shot, stuffed and mounted - at the New York Athletic Club, and the joke is on them, because it's restricted.
Pure gold. His stand-up monologues are one of the best 'reasons to be cheerful', says I.

Schkura

#47 Post by Schkura » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:36 pm

Director Woody Allen's second film to be shot in London, due for release in summer 2006, will be called Scoop.
The film had been known as Woody Allen Summer Project. Trade website Screen Daily said it was "a light comedy about sex, love, suspense and murder".
<italics added to heighten redundancy>

Fletch F. Fletch

#48 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:58 am

[quote="Dylan"]And while I'm here, I'll defend “Celebrity,â€

benm

#49 Post by benm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:46 pm

what i'd like to know is why everyone is saying he's so underappreciated and yet he topped one of the top 100 lists here and had many many more throughout the lists. is it just this congregation that happens to love him but still find him underappreciated or are we just talking general public here?

Dylan

#50 Post by Dylan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:36 am

Some things never change. I had Jay Leno on in the backround tonight as I was cleaning my room and he makes a joke about Woody Allen, he said that therapy hasn't been working for Woody and proof of that is because he married his daughter. Leno probably knows the specifics, but I guess a quick joke can't hurt him, right? I guess I should take that with good humor, but this sort of thing doesn't help the dreadfully common misconception of Allen's marriage (how many times do I have to shout "adopted daughter of his girlfriend?"). Though I guess maybe Leno will be kinder toward Allen if one of the "Match Point" stars goes on his show to promote it.

With that out of the way, I'll respond to some of these posts. Indeed, "Scoop" is the title of Allen's next film, and Allen will star in this one, playing a washed-up magician. Fletch, that scene in "Celebrity" with Branagh and Ryder is by and far my favorite scene in the film, and probably my favorite scene of Allen's career. I can think of few scenes in cinema where a man confesses his infatuation/love to a woman that are more beautiful; it's so convincing, sweet, and realistic in its seeming spontinuity and honesty. He even calls her his obscure object of desire (and the French poster for that film is in Branagh's apartment in the film, it must be a favorite of Woody's). That scene floors me. I looked at some of this film again a few days ago (as I was examining some of Sven Nykvist's work I own for some writings I want to start), and in this glance I was incredibly struck at how stark the black and white was, and I never really noticed before that the B&W here has a similar glow and tone to Nykvist's B&W work for Bergman (I had just watched some of "Shame" before putting "Celebrity" in). I guess it's not so surprising, but noticing the similar treatment of film stocks in both films excited me for some reason (I guess I'm not as familiar with Nykvist's treatment of the exposure and tone of his black and white as much as I am of his compositional style...his work has a gorgeously unique glow that I look forward to studying much further). I'm speaking mainly of the scenes in Branagh's apartment, which I guess is my favorite photography in the film (I don't think anybody could make a room look as beautiful as Nykvist did).

With that said, I'm very interested in this cinematographer Remi Adefarasin, who shot "Match Point" and is also shooting "Scoop," so I'm assuming he and Woody have a nice working relationship. He's one of the few working black cinematographers I know of (the other at the moment being Ernest Dickerson, who did a beautiful job on "Do the Right Thing" and other films). The shot on the "Match Point" French trailer of Rhys-Meyers standing by the elevator as the beams of light shine on him is stunning, as are numerous other shots.

Which brings me to Allen's work with cinematographers, which has been incredibly versatile since Woody stopped working with Carlo Di Palma. Carlo was actually supposed to shoot "Celebrity," but he didn't want to fly to the US again to do it. He retired in 2001, and thus "Deconstructing Harry" remained their final collaboration. A side note to that: I watched "Wild Man Blues" a couple months ago and when Woody plays in Rome, Carlo Di Palma (who isn't identified by a caption so you have to know what he looks like) is in the backstage showing his support for Woody (a hardcover book I have, Woody Allen at Work, shows them working together and they always seemed to be having a great time to some extent). Anyway, since then Woody briefly reunited with Sven Nykvist for "Celebrity," Fei Zhao shot his next three, and then we had Wedigo von Schultzendorff, Darius Khundji, Vilmos Zsigmond, and now Reni Adefarasin, which Allen has settled with for now. I'd love to see him shoot with Storaro sometime (and "Picking up the Pieces" which Allen, probably reluctantly, starred in and Storaro shot doesn't count, though it certainly had beautiful photography...now that I think of it, I'd love to hear what they thought of each other while working on that, which was a bizarre crude humor film that seemed so utterly deeply below either of their standards). Perhaps more realistically (since Storaro is semi-retired) is a collaboration with Christopher Doyle. That would certainly be interesting.

And why is Woody underrated? The really nice thing is that he isn't underrated on these boards, but publically I'd say that he's the most underrated of the known directors (which include Coppola, Scorsese, Kubrick, Spielberg, etc.), because so many people know who he is and yet so few seem to appreciate him or his work. I've forever heard that he is adored in Europe, but as a citizen of the US I haven't met anybody in real life other than my father who actually likes Allen's films. I'm really hoping that "Match Point" will change this and will bring him in a decent public light again.