Ernst Lubitsch

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Ernst Lubitsch

#126 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:03 pm

Like Ozu's I Was Born But, I feel So This Is Paris often seems to have a pretty amazing "virtual soundtrack" that can be disrupted by poorly matched background music.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#127 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:03 pm

That Uncertain Feeling coming to Blu (complete with the usual VCI typo)

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#128 Post by soundchaser » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:22 pm

Probably Lubitsch’s worst sound film. Glad it won’t be lost to time, but don’t go in expecting a masterpiece, or even the typically enjoyable Lubitsch experience.

therewillbeblus

#129 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:59 pm

I think That Lady in Ermine is worse, but they’re both duds. I recall That Uncertain Feeling being more “watchable,” but in some ways it’s more frustrating because there’s a lot more potential in the material gone unrealised. So the first time through you’re seeing a decent set-up, moving towards the TV with a ‘maybe this time..’ and watching a missed goal on an empty net, over and over. I wonder how it’d play again with zero expectations, but I’d rather revisit all the brilliant stuff instead

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#130 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:09 am

Well, I like it!

therewillbeblus

#131 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:25 am

I 'd be interested to know why!

Matt

#132 Post by Matt » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:38 am

I like it too. I think, as an independent production, it’s certainly more modestly scaled than most of his other sound films, and it’s definitely a step down from the Olympian heights of The Shop Around the Corner. But Oberon and Douglas are as charming as can be, and it has some very funny moments (“Egészségedre!”), running gags (“Keeks!”), and amusing commentary on psychoanalysis. To me it’s funnier than Cluny Brown and more coherent in tone than Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife.

I will admit that Burgess Meredith’s Alexander Sebastian might be one of Lubitsch’s most annoying characters, right up there with Miriam Hopkins’s in Design for Living.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#133 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:17 am

Wasn't Uncertain Feeling a re-make (of sorts) of one of his earlier (lost, I believe) silent films?
Last edited by Michael Kerpan on Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#134 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:33 am

I found it sadly quite unfunny, but I will likely revisit with the new Blu-ray to see if my assessment has changed any. Of the Lubitsch sound films that retain his directorial credit, I’d agree it’s his worst