Jacques Rivette

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

furbicide

Re: Jacques Rivette

#1251 Post by furbicide » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:58 am

Fascinating stuff, Soundchaser, thanks!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1252 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:53 pm

I wonder whether Up, Down, Fragile has _any_ connection with the previously-envisioned unwritten musical...

soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts

#1253 Post by soundchaser » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:40 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:53 pm
I wonder whether Up, Down, Fragile has _any_ connection with the previously-envisioned unwritten musical...
Frappat makes an argument in Secret compris that Laurence Cote’s Ida serves as the film’s phantom (“revenant”) in the same way the goddesses do in Duelle and Noroît, and Marie does in her eponymous film. I’m not totally convinced, but it’s an argument nonetheless...

Rivette sort of undermines that claim in Wiles’s monograph — he makes it clear that the film’s story came largely from its three actresses, because he had the money and opportunity to make a film but no ideas other than that it should be a musical.

I think the missing musical probably didn’t get any further than the barest concept stage, but it’s easy to imagine it would have been tonally similar to HBF, even if it would have featured a totally different plot.

quim_font

#1254 Post by quim_font » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Can anyone recommend me a place to watch Celine and Julie Go Boating? Is the BFI DVD my only option?

soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts

#1255 Post by soundchaser » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:21 pm

The only place it's streaming is the BFI's proprietary platform, which I'm pretty sure is inaccessible in the US. But the BFI Blu-Ray can be had from a third-party Amazon seller for around $10, if you're Region B capable. The US rights, as far as we know, are still held by New Yorker (maybe? are they even a company any more?)

swo17

#1256 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:24 pm

Only ever released in the U.S. on VHS!

quim_font

#1257 Post by quim_font » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:28 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:21 pm
The only place it's streaming is the BFI's proprietary platform, which I'm pretty sure is inaccessible in the US. But the BFI Blu-Ray can be had from a third-party Amazon seller for around $10, if you're Region B capable. The US rights, as far as we know, are still held by New Yorker (maybe? are they even a company any more?)
swo17 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:24 pm
Only ever released in the U.S. on VHS!
Thanks, that was my understanding as well. A scandal, if you ask me.

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#1258 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:16 pm

quim_font wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:13 pm
Can anyone recommend me a place to watch Celine and Julie Go Boating? Is the BFI DVD my only option?
If you PM me I might be able to help.

For what it's worth though, I just picked up the BFI blu-ray, and it looks magnificent. I first watched Celine on the subtitle-less French DVD after years of looking, using an extra monitor for subs, and then caught it on 16mm at the Quad in January––and so it's quite great to me to be able to have such a lovely looking print on hand whenever I want it.