Jean Grémillon

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Tommaso

Re: Jean Grémillon

#201 Post by Tommaso » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:21 pm

"Gardiens de Phare" can be watched on youtube here. Masterpiece.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#202 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:I'll cosign swo's picks, especially the last two, but I also need to point out that, unless something's changed, Gardien de phare and June 6th are still his rarest and most impossible to see, with no circulating bootlegs that I'm aware of.
Plus ça change
http://www.amazon.fr/6-juin-%C3%A0-laub ... 3%A9millon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
with english subs

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#203 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:16 am

Well I know that as far as this form is concerned war stopped at midnight but too late for the list I received Grem's 6 juin a l'aube this morning.
The package, in the form of a hardback book, is extremely english friendly with both the essay and text of the film translated as well as subs on the film. The book also has oodles of stills and also houses the DVD. Will give it a spin when my head stops after New Year's frollicking.

JimmyTango

#204 Post by JimmyTango » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:54 am

Tommaso wrote:"Gardiens de Phare" can be watched on youtube here. Masterpiece.
This is comparative to Cabinet of Dr. Caligari in terms of visual importance in my opinion but yet it is barely known. A while ago I compiled a small list of essential early films that never made it to any format (except noted*) let alone DVD/Blu-ray that really should be considered by Criterion or anyone for that matter.

The Lighthouse Keepers (1929) Jean Gremillon
A Page of Madness (1926) Teinosuke Kinugasa *Poor quality bootleg DVD... in 3D?
Limite (1931) Mario Peixoto *Bonus DVD as part of Revista da Cinemateca Brasileira 7/13 Issue
Song of Life (1931) Alexis Granowsky
Ganga Bruta (1933) Humberto Mauro *OOP VHS in Brazil
Strachy (Spooks/The Ghosts/Anxiety) (1938) Eugeniusz Cekalski & Karol Szolowski

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#205 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Pattes Blanches slated for a blu release by Gaumont late 2015. Would make a great double bill with the restored Lumiere d'été on blu with MoC but I'm not gonna bet the farm on it.

rohmerin

#206 Post by rohmerin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:16 am

Centinela alerta. A very poor film, my short review in headlines with several pictures I made.

http://rohmerin.blogspot.com.es/2015/01 ... inela.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#207 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:46 am

rohmerin wrote:Centinela alerta. A very poor film, my short review in headlines with several pictures I made.

http://rohmerin.blogspot.com.es/2015/01 ... inela.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As Bukowski said- Sometimes you just have to piss in the sink.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#208 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:15 pm

Pattes Blanches on blu coming October 7. English subs
http://www.amazon.fr/Pattes-blanches-Bl ... s+blanches" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#209 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Is that what the title means? Gross.

Making allowances for quantity, this is actually slightly more exciting than yesterday's Rivette news!

whaleallright

#210 Post by whaleallright » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:16 pm

I'm much more partial to Grémillon than Rivette, so this is today's good news for me. Some Grémillon cultists don't think much of Pattes blanches and/or declare it to be more Anouilh's film than Grémillon's, but I adore it. It has some of the rarefied oneiric quality of Cocteau's best films.

P.S. The Blu-Ray appears to have a half-hour documentary on Grémillon as a bonus feature.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#211 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:05 am

david hare wrote:It's the first Grem Blu Ray which is saying something. It's a deserving title as well.

Nabob, has there ever been any more news about the Japanese restoration and/or release of Gardiens? It hasn't even turned up on the backchannels.
I thought I had mentioned at the time of the Edinburgh retro but apparently not. Gardiens was indeed of Tokyo provenance but the 35 mm print, whilst eminently seviceable and the only source of any value we are going to get, was not a full blown restoration but a possible source for one. I think it was a bit of EIFF programme hyperbole or maybe it had been restored in the past but don't hold your breath as you will turn blue and wither. Yes Jonah there is a new 30 min doc on the disc, Has everyone picked up Le 6 Juin a l'aube? Very nice little package totally bilingual in hardback book style with interview with Straub as bonus

whaleallright

#212 Post by whaleallright » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:19 pm

4k "restoration" of Gueule d'amour will be screening at Cannes this year:
http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/article/62136.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#213 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Gueule d'Amour coming from TFI on blu in november. Highly likely to have english subs. Roll on La Petite Lise

DeprongMori

#214 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:56 pm

The title of this thread shows up blank (no URL) on the "Recent Forum Activity" homepage. Any idea whether this can be fixed with browser settings? I've tried all sorts of things. Thanks.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#215 Post by soundchaser » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:00 pm

This may interest some here. I spent last night and some of today re-syncing the existing English fansubs for Gueule d'Amour (posted onto a subtitles database by someone named "satranc") to the 2016 Blu-Ray release. In addition to changing the frame rate, I had to translate ~2 minutes of material that was missing from the original English and French sets. This meant relying on the heavily truncated French SDH and my own rusty knowledge of the language. I also cleaned up a few stray typos and a phrase or two that wasn't well-translated.

I'm not pretending they're perfect - there are a few idioms I still can't make heads or tails of (if anyone knows a less literal meaning of "I have a meeting with a mouse"...), and things get slightly dicey sync-wise at about the 50 minute mark, but they're at least watchable now.

You can find both the 24fps and the 25fps DVD version here. Enjoy!

(Mods, if posting these is against the forum rules, please let me know and I'll remove them.)

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#216 Post by soundchaser » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi David, great to get some more info on this. Yes, I went in and translated all the missing dialogue to the best of my ability (which is probably not up to the level of some, admittedly), so nothing's totally out-of-sync - a half-second or so at the most. (I know, because I watched it myself last night all the way through as a test - what an ending!!!). I downloaded yours and Herrschreck's commentary not long ago, but I haven't watched the film with it yet. I'll be glad to contribute to getting these subs cleaned up even more and out there for a wider audience on the backchannels.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#217 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:35 am

Dainah la Métisse and L'amour d'une femme both coming on blu from Gaumont Classics (which normally means bonus extras). Possible eng subs on Dainah but no details confirmed yet. October

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#218 Post by soundchaser » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:36 pm

And L'étrange M. Victor likely to be restored and released sometime next year, per the CNC. What a time to be a Grémillon fan!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#219 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:04 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:36 pm
And L'étrange M. Victor likely to be restored and released sometime next year, per the CNC. What a time to be a Grémillon fan!
Would be an even greater year if someone got the silents and Petite Lise out

Calvin

#220 Post by Calvin » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:41 am

It doesn't provide any details, but this would seem to confirm that Pathe has restored Petite Lise and it's available for programming purposes.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#221 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:39 am

Well thanks for that, it is perhaps a step forward and if made available on blu would be the answer to a maiden's prayer- La petite Lise's that is not me.
I would willing endure another period of lockdown if it meant this coming to fruition.
This film ranks alongside Blackmail and 'M' in importance of studies of the early sound film if not surpassing them.

Calvin

#222 Post by Calvin » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:41 pm

Agreed. L'étrange M. Victor is now up for pre-order with a release date of March 24th, so hopefully we'll get La petite Lise by this time next year.