Paul Verhoeven

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Nasir007

Re: Paul Verhoeven

#51 Post by Nasir007 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:27 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:31 am
Nasir007 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:54 am
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:24 pm

What an incredibly odd statement to make.
It is just a personal preference. I rarely watch tv shows. Nothing more to it.
It's a limited series with a single director and a single writer. Sounds a lot more like a multi-part film than a tv show.
It is just my personal hangup but I find tv diffuse in general and as such I enjoy it less. I would have doubts that there's 8 hrs worth of story in the novel but that's an entirely different concern. On the other hand, there's a chance of getting 4 movies worth of film-making.

Again, just a personal preference, it is purely an academic concern. Apologies if it was controversial or anything.

knives

#52 Post by knives » Tue May 12, 2020 4:44 pm

It's not controversial. Your argument just isn't communicated clearly. How will this be any more diffuse then if the same project was theatrical?

beamish14

#54 Post by beamish14 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:40 pm

As much as I adore his two previous collaborations with Ed Neumeier, I really wish that he could finally get his Louis Couperus adaptation The Hidden Force off the ground. I'd love to see him do an epic on Dutch colonialism.

Rupert Pupkin

#55 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:45 am

Is Turkish Delight announced on blu-ray somewhere ? perhaps in NL ?
I have just seen a WEB 1080 transfer which looks damned good.

So far I only had the DVD-5 (single layer) US release (was it Anchor Bay?) which I still have, no blu-ray around; whereas, more than "Spetters", like the almost Fassbinderian's Katie Tippel, or Soldier Of Orange this movie is still unreleased. This is my favorite Verhoeven's movie with "Showgirls" (love the open-matte release in France, although in scope it looks better)
And Turkish Delight is perhaps one of Paul Verhoeven's greatest movie.
I was wondering, now that a WEB 1080 transfer is "around" of a blu-ray is announced.
A box set with Katie Tippel, Solder Of Orange, etc... would be awesome.

beamish14

#56 Post by beamish14 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:38 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:45 am
Is Turkish Delight announced on blu-ray somewhere ? perhaps in NL ?
I have just seen a WEB 1080 transfer which looks damned good.

So far I only had the DVD-5 (single layer) US release (was it Anchor Bay?) which I still have, no blu-ray around; whereas, more than "Spetters", like the almost Fassbinderian's Katie Tippel, or Soldier Of Orange this movie is still unreleased. This is my favorite Verhoeven's movie with "Showgirls" (love the open-matte release in France, although in scope it looks better)
And Turkish Delight is perhaps one of Paul Verhoeven's greatest movie.
I was wondering, now that a WEB 1080 transfer is "around" of a blu-ray is announced.
A box set with Katie Tippel, Solder Of Orange, etc... would be awesome.

All of Verhoeven’s pre-1985 features are unfortunately controlled by producer Rob Houwer, save for Spetters, and he is being extremely unreasonable about re-licensing them. I am not aware of a Blu of Turks Fruit in the Nederlands, but I’d love to see restorations of his work.

ballmouse

#57 Post by ballmouse » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:59 pm

Never felt compelled to watch Showgirls based on the premise and the poor critical reception. But after watching Starship Troopers for the first time and not hating it, I thought it would be a change of pace from my usual fare to watch another Verhoeven. Enter Showgirls.

After watching it, I can't help but laugh because the poor reception actually implies viewers expected some sort of straight drama with Verhoeven, the guy who directed Robocop, Total Recall, and subsequently Starship Troopers, and that Verhoeven actually gave his audience too much credit, which makes it even funnier to watch knowing the subsequent reception of the film. The film is hilarious, precisely because it's satirical. The extravagant nudity and dancing, the sexy dumb blonde, the tough, sleezy strip club boss, the even tougher Vegas show boss, and the incessant non-verbal communication via body contact. I struggle to see how any critic could have taken Showgirls or Starship Troopers at face value. Hell, I tip my cap to Verhoeven because he actually added just enough credibility to the production that the film isn't unintentionally good because it's bad. It's actually intentionally good because it is good at being bad. And on the contrary, Berkley put up a fantastic acting job. She is the paragon of a number of women I have met who have looks, ambition, and naivete in a world where that sort of combination can easily be taken advantage of, which is exactly the premise here. I'm surprised Kyle MacLachlan wasn't proud of his acting job; he played the part of corporate sleezeball masquerading as handsome good guy as good on screen as what I see from the guys in real life.

Anyway, enough rambling. I'm excited to read up on everything about it now that I've got my own opinion of the film. My local library has a copy of You don't Nomi so I'll be checking that out as well as anything else I can get my hands on.