Nobuo Nakagawa

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
zedz

#26 Post by zedz » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:06 pm

Annie Mall wrote: It may not be groundbreaking like some other experimental works of its time but it still stirs up the emotions like very few. And that is remarkable given its age.
I'm enjoying this discussion, but I have to take issue with the implication that it's unusual to have a strong emotional connection with an old film. In this era of cheap post-modern irony it's probably rarer to find films that directly appeal to the viewer's emotions.

Stefan Andersson

Ghost of Yotsuya

#27 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:54 am

Greek DVD of Ghost of Yotsuya by Nakagawa definitely OOP?

Xploited's site states Yotsuya Kaidan 2, the Nobuo Nakagawa CinemaScope version of the oft-filmed Ghost of Yotsuya is OOP. This Greek DVD was part of New Star's Japanese Horror Collection.

I've e-mailed New Star re: if it will be back in print.

Anybody know anyplace online to buy it?

Lino

#28 Post by Lino » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Criterion will be releasing it eventually as they've acquired a bunch of Nakagawa titles distribution rights, if you are prepared to wait.

Le Samouraï

#29 Post by Le Samouraï » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Lino wrote:Criterion will be releasing it eventually as they've acquired a bunch of Nakagawa titles distribution rights
First I have heard bout this. Do you have a source? Man, an Eclipse or Criterion set of the Nakagawa titles wouth make my year!

Cinephrenic

#30 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Le Samouraï wrote:
Lino wrote:Criterion will be releasing it eventually as they've acquired a bunch of Nakagawa titles distribution rights
First I have heard bout this. Do you have a source? Man, an Eclipse or Criterion set of the Nakagawa titles wouth make my year!
Here

Le Samouraï

#31 Post by Le Samouraï » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:44 pm

Cool. Thanks. Hadn't noticed that before. A Criterion/ Eclipse release of Nakagawa would be fantastic... well, any release of Nagakawa would.

manicsounds

Re: Nobuo Nakagawa

#32 Post by manicsounds » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:19 am

Recently I watched "The Lady Vampire" on TV. There hasn't been any Nakagawa films released in the US since Synapse's releases back in 1997. Fun film, reminiscent of Hammer in style, yet this was made before Hammer's Dracula film.

Last edited by manicsounds on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

feihong

#33 Post by feihong » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:52 pm

So now that the thread has bubbled to the surface, I can go ahead and ask: has anyone here seen "Horror: Koheji Lives"? Nakagawa's last film, made I believe for ATG...I have been looking for this film for decades and never seen hide nor hair of it.

zeroism

#34 Post by zeroism » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:10 pm

feihong wrote:So now that the thread has bubbled to the surface, I can go ahead and ask: has anyone here seen "Horror: Koheji Lives"? Nakagawa's last film, made I believe for ATG...I have been looking for this film for decades and never seen hide nor hair of it.
A DVD (unfortunately without English subs) was released in Japan at the beginning of September. I haven't seen it, but based on the screencaps I've seen, the transfer looks great and the film looks fascinating.

feihong

#35 Post by feihong » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:39 am

zeroism wrote:A DVD (unfortunately without English subs) was released in Japan at the beginning of September. I haven't seen it, but based on the screencaps I've seen, the transfer looks great and the film looks fascinating.
Oh my god. That is momentous! I'm going to have to get that disc when I can next afford it.

Maybe one day someone will subtitle this. Out of love or something.