Hirokazu Kore-eda

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Hirokazu Kore-eda

#126 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:43 am

dda1996a wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:28 am
That list is full of rather failures though, ain't it? I'm sure some have their fans (and I haven't seen all of them), but Black Cat, White Cat is the only good film out of that list (Sisters Brothers is ok and better than Dheepan, I haven't seen Wind Will Carry but I'd heard only good things about it). To answer my original question, seems a lot of Palme winners take a Gambit and fall with their follow ups
The reaction on To the Wonder was certainly more mixed compared to Tree of Life, but there are many (myself included) who think it is among Malick’s very best.

Glowingwabbit

#127 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:52 am

That's interesting as The Wind Will Carry Us is probably held in higher esteem than Taste of Cherry by many (myself included).

dda1996a

#128 Post by dda1996a » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:28 pm

As I said, I sadly haven't seen either but word is Wind Will Carry Us is a great film (it is indeed a brilliant poem)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#129 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:52 am
That's interesting as The Wind Will Carry Us is probably held in higher esteem than Taste of Cherry by many (myself included).
Seconded. My favorite Kiarostami film.

I'll guess Kore'eda and his team know what they are doing with his newest film. ;-)

Raymond Marble

#130 Post by Raymond Marble » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:52 pm

If any of you are Midwesterners, from September 17-29 the Webster University Film Series in St. Louis, Missouri is running a nine-film retrospective of Kore-eda's films. Highlights include two screenings of Distance (has that ever shown theatrically in the U.S. before?), one screening of Air Doll, and After Life from a 35mm print. The screenings of Maborosi, After Life, Distance, and Nobody Knows will be introduced by and with a post-film Q&A by Linda Ehrlich, who has published extensively on Kore-eda and recorded the audio commentary on Milestone's release of Maborosi.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#131 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:01 pm

I think Distance may have shown up in a retrospective before. Hope you get a chance to see everything you can. ;-)