It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
 Post subject: Re: Jacques Rivette
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:04 pm 

All the Best People wrote:
one could even consider it a third part of a trilogy following Paris Belongs to Us and Out 1 (I read the section on the film in the Mary Wiles monograph on Rivette after watching this and she made the same argument, actually).

I don't know why everything always has to resolve into trilogies. Rivette has made a number of films revolving around the same concerns (basically: vague conspiracies + theatre), so why not include La Bande des Quatres and Va Savoir? Those two films actually fit more closely with the earlier pair than Le Pont du Nord does.

One thing I love about Rivette's cinema is that he has these very consistent strands running all the way through his career, which get mixed and matched in all sorts of ways. Sometimes the same handful of elements come into play in a similar combination as before; sometimes there's a fresh and delightful confluence; sometimes there's a messy pile-up - but it's all Rivette. Artificially demarcating small conceptual gulags among the works seems counter to his actual film practice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:23 pm 

zedz wrote:
All the Best People wrote:
one could even consider it a third part of a trilogy following Paris Belongs to Us and Out 1 (I read the section on the film in the Mary Wiles monograph on Rivette after watching this and she made the same argument, actually).

I don't know why everything always has to resolve into trilogies. Rivette has made a number of films revolving around the same concerns (basically: vague conspiracies + theatre), so why not include La Bande des Quatres and Va Savoir? Those two films actually fit more closely with the earlier pair than Le Pont du Nord does.

One thing I love about Rivette's cinema is that he has these very consistent strands running all the way through his career, which get mixed and matched in all sorts of ways. Sometimes the same handful of elements come into play in a similar combination as before; sometimes there's a fresh and delightful confluence; sometimes there's a messy pile-up - but it's all Rivette. Artificially demarcating small conceptual gulags among the works seems counter to his actual film practice.

I think what unites these three is that they are all specifically about Paris at a certain time politically and culturally to a greater extent than some of the others. It's obviously unofficial and just a way to think about the films.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:40 pm 

I wouldn't say that the three you mention are any more Paris (and/or time) specific) than the other Paris-connected films (like Gang of Four or Va savoir). Pont du Nord is my favorite Rivette film (FWIW). ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:22 am 

I'd be interested to read why it's your favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 am 

Why do I love PdN so much? One, the interplay between mother and daughter playing not-quite-compatible, chance-met, temporary comrades. Two, the exploration of out-of-the-way (now probably mostly vanished forever) corners of Paris. Three, the pacing. Four, everything else. I first saw this (and long knew it) only in unsubbed form -- and even bought a multi-standard VHS player to play this and a few other otherwise-unfindable, but must-see (for me) films. It also helped that I had a crush on Bulle Ogier ever since I saw her in Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (when this first came to the theaters in the US).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47