The Lists Project

An ongoing survey of the Criterion Forum membership to create lists of the best films of each decade and genre.
zedz

Re: The Lists Project

#2201 Post by zedz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:21 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:17 pm
Definitely like the idea of a music video list project. I might be able to participate a bit in this one! I have those "The Works of..." collections as well, so would be able to collaborate with zedz on talking about them (and I also have fond memories of Channel 4's fantastic Mirrorball series from 1999 which preceded it)

And I agree on Michel Gondry working wonderfully in the music video area. Sugar Water and Come Into My World are fantastic, and I hope the other video domino mentions is the Massive Attack one, which seems like a music video version of stylistic conceits used in Cocteau's The Blood of a Poet!
I'm pretty sure domino's top three includes 'Let Forever Be'. From memory he's an even bigger champion of that one than me.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2202 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:26 pm

The odds of anything but Let Forever Be topping my list are so infinitesimal that they rival the lotto. To put guessing games out to pasture, that and Come Into My World and Bjork's Bachelorette are the three I was thinking of

zedz

#2203 Post by zedz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:55 pm

Voila!

It's as if Busby Berkeley somehow had a glimpse into the future, saw the cheap video effects of the 1980s, and tried to recreate them with real-life choreography.

As with 'Come Into My World' and most of Gondry's best videos, just coming up with the concept for the film is as remarkable as actually pulling it off.

'Come Into My World's imaginative coup is managing to conceive of a universe in which time is both linear and looped, and choreographing his action in four dimensions with motion control in order to demonstrate what that would look like.

Come Into My World

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2204 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:32 pm

Worth keeping in mind that the only version of Let Forever Be on YouTube is cropped to be "widescreen," so one will need to watch it on the Gondry DVD to get the full effect. The disc is actually OOP, but there appears to be several used copies available on eBay for less than $10 shipped

BenoitRouilly

#2205 Post by BenoitRouilly » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:44 am

And here's the "making of" for Come Into My World.
It was shot in a real street of Paris (not a studio set) and in one take!

colinr0380

#2206 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:26 am

There are so many great Gondry videos on that set that Let Forever Be is a worthy number one (Bachelorette is also a fave too). Especially for anyone who can sympathise with being kept awake by incessant drumming only to oversleep and end up being late for work in the morning! And Come Into My World is wonderful too: I sometimes think that it is all of the themes of Haneke's Code Unknown compressed into a couple of minutes!

It is worth noting also that The Chemical Brothers got a run of magnificent music videos in the late 90s and early 2000s: The Test is my absolute favourite (Buster Keaton homage and all), but I also like Setting Sun (mostly for the film posters on the walls!) and the 'life story of a bone obsessed party animal' Hey Boy Hey Girl and of course Block Rockin' Beats (which is a kind of homage to The Warriors). Not to mention Sofia Coppola doing gymnastics in Elektrobank (NSFW) by Spike Jonze, and Out of Control with Rosario Dawson!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2207 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Discussion of the country viewing project moved here