The Lists Project

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
clutch44

#76 Post by clutch44 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:22 am

Tedcogs, are you still around and if your personal situation with the move and all is too much to take on the list, then maybe you should hand it off to someone else. I don't suggest this in a mean spirited way, just as a way to unburden you in a time where family should be and is your main priority. I'm off work and will compile the list prior to returning to work on Aug 12 if you prefer. Let me know.

yoshimori

#77 Post by yoshimori » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:39 pm

It'll be interesting to see if you get a response, clutch. Tedcog's last post on the board seems to have been that of July 7 (above).

Penny Dreadful

#78 Post by Penny Dreadful » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:49 pm

Maybe we should go ahead and start up the 70's list? That way we can wait for tedcogs while moving along with the project.

Gregory

#79 Post by Gregory » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:19 pm

I would much prefer to get the 1960s list finalized before we even think about the next one.

Michael

#80 Post by Michael » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:36 pm

I emailed tedcogs last week to offer some help ...still no response from him.

Penny Dreadful

#81 Post by Penny Dreadful » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:41 pm

I would much prefer to get the 1960s list finalized before we even think about the next one.
It looks like that won't happen unless someone takes over for tedcogs.

Rufus T. Firefly

#82 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:21 am

I suggest that given tedcogs's personal situation that everyone re-sends their lists to someone else. He's indicated previously that he has other priorities and it has been a long time since the cut-off date, so I don't think it would be rude to take it out of his hands without waiting for his response. One less thing he has to be burdened with.

I think I was the first person to volunteer to do the compiling for the 60s list, and I have the time to enable me to turn the list around within a couple of days, so I don't mind doing it if people want to PM me their lists.

clutch44

#83 Post by clutch44 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:41 pm

Great, I remember Archie being the first to volunteer and think he should get the shot. The main thing is for some definite timeframes for submission and turnaround. Could I suggest that lists be sent in by Aug. 10 and published by Aug. 15. If Archie cared to continue with the 70's list afterwards, great if not I'll volunteer to do it as long as the lists are sent in by Sept. 1. I don't mean to be pushy on this, just enjoy the work that has been done on this and want to see it continue. Thoughts?

Gregory

#84 Post by Gregory » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:06 pm

I'm traveling abroad until around the end of next month and have only intermittent computer access, so I`d hoped that we`d continue the past custom of leaving a month or two of time between the completion of one list and the deadline for the next. I don`t mean to be selfish, but I have enjoyed participating in this project so far. Also, because I´m away from my computer where my 1960s list is saved, I won`t be able to re-send it to Archie. Tedcogs, if you see this, I`d very much appreciate it if you could PM my 1960s list back to me.

duane hall

#85 Post by duane hall » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:47 pm

Gregory, might you have a copy of your list in your PM and/or email sentbox? Just thought I'd ask, though you've probably checked already.

Thanks, Archie, for taking the reins. You got mine.

Michael

#86 Post by Michael » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:57 pm

Just forwarded my 60s list to you, Archie. Thank you so much for taking over. Very much appreciated. :D

Gregory

#87 Post by Gregory » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:13 pm

Duane, thanks for pointing that out. I haven`t used the private message thing all that much but probably still should have thought of that.

Rufus T. Firefly

#88 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:02 pm

Okay, I have received 7 lists so far. I will go with Clutch44's idea of a deadline of August 10 and will aim to publish by Aug 15, so that gives everyone 10 days. Late entries up to the publication date will be accepted, though obviously the earlier you get them in the better (for me).

As to future lists, I will see how onerous compiling the lists is before I put my hand up.

kieslowski_67

#89 Post by kieslowski_67 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:28 am

Archie Leach wrote:Okay, I have received 7 lists so far. I will go with Clutch44's idea of a deadline of August 10 and will aim to publish by Aug 15, so that gives everyone 10 days. Late entries up to the publication date will be accepted, though obviously the earlier you get them in the better (for me).

As to future lists, I will see how onerous compiling the lists is before I put my hand up.
I am sending you the list this weekend.

lord_clyde

#90 Post by lord_clyde » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:40 pm

So tomorrow's the deadline? Wow, I can't believe this list is finally getting finished! Seriously, I haven't been this excited since Van Helsing was announced! (I hope I'm not as dissappointed.)

GringoTex

#91 Post by GringoTex » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:19 am

I've been out of the country and just resubmitted my list to Archie.

Rufus T. Firefly

#92 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:01 pm

OK, I have received lists from Langlois68, Solaris72, Hrossa, kieslowski, kieslowski_67, backstreetsbackalright, delmont, Brian Oblivious, jorencain, lord_clyde, ola t, Penny Dreadful, zedz, clutch44, Gregory, Michael, duane hall, Kambei, yoshimori and I'm also no longer waiting for Godot (sorry, couldn't stop myself).

If anyone else is intending to submit a list, you have until Sunday night Sydney time, which for those of you on the wrong side of the equator is about 2.5 days from now.

backstreetsbackalright

#93 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:51 pm

What's that, 22 lists? Should be plenty to make this interesting. I'm really curious what the top 10 will look like. I'm also dreading the 70s List submissions. So many films to catch up on! So many to revisit! There couldn't possibly be enough time.

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#94 Post by ola t » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:19 am

Archie just PM'd me that he wants to disqualify one of my entries because it was made for (and originally shown on) television. My impression was that anything that is a film in any reasonable sense would be eligible, no matter what length, genre, form of distribution, etc. What do other members think?

It's pretty common for television films to be shown theatrically outside their country of origin -- there are several examples by Fassbinder and Bergman, for instance. It seems very arbitrary to disqualify something that lots of people may have seen on the big screen just because its world premiere was on a small screen.

Arn777

#95 Post by Arn777 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:07 am

I am planning to send me list tomorrow. I have a Rosselini film made for French TV, and I agree with Ola T, films made for TV should definitely be included.

Michael

#96 Post by Michael » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:39 am

Archie just PM'd me that he wants to disqualify one of my entries because it was made for (and originally shown on) television. My impression was that anything that is a film in any reasonable sense would be eligible, no matter what length, genre, form of distribution, etc. What do other members think?

It's pretty common for television films to be shown theatrically outside their country of origin -- there are several examples by Fassbinder and Bergman, for instance. It seems very arbitrary to disqualify something that lots of people may have seen on the big screen just because its world premiere was on a small screen.
Same here. Three titles were disqualified: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas! I was heartbroken to replace those titles with the new ones since those holiday classics were an enormous part of my childhood. So if Ron Howard's shitty Grinch is eligible while Chuck Jones' classic with Boris Karloff isn't, that doesn't make sense to me.

And I couldn't even imagine removing Fassinder's made for TV film Martha from my already composed '70s list. So what should I do ?! I thought movies of all kinds were counted. :?

Rufus T. Firefly

#97 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:55 am

ola t wrote:Archie just PM'd me that he wants to disqualify one of my entries because it was made for (and originally shown on) television. My impression was that anything that is a film in any reasonable sense would be eligible, no matter what length, genre, form of distribution, etc. What do other members think?

I was under the impression that there was a rule against it. Looking anew at the "official" rules there is no such rule. I think it requires discussion because I had the impression that the lists were aimed at cinema. Where would one draw the line if we allowed material originally made for and first shown on TV to be included? I recall a cinema here showing episodes of Star Trek, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Lost in Space on the big screen. Should they be included?

I'm happy to go with the herd, or with an adjudication by Matt, or whatever.

It's probably a moot point however, given that none of the titles in question would make the top 100 anyway. For what it's worth, the titles I have questioned of various persons are:

Culloden
A Charlie Brown Christmas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

Matt

#98 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:54 am

We never really had to deal with this question before since television was not really a factor in the earlier lists. We've been pretty liberal with qualifications, though, so I think it's fair game. Let's draw the line at commercials, though, but I think music videos will be fair game when the '80s list rolls around.

lord_clyde

#99 Post by lord_clyde » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:39 pm

Music videos you say? I like that ruling.

backstreetsbackalright

#100 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:48 pm

lord_clyde wrote:Music videos you say? I like that ruling.
I abhor it, only because it means it makes for a more difficult narrowing-down project for me. But objectively speaking, it's definitely the right thing to do. Maybe we should start a thread on music videos, to get our brain juices flowing...

A question: What about television series? Mini-series? What's the thinking on those?