The Lists Project

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
therewillbeblus

Re: The Lists Project

#2476 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:05 am

zedz wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:38 pm
denti alligator wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:26 pm
Would anyone be interested in doing a list on experimental/avant-garde shorts, with maybe a 4-6 month lead time for recommendations and discussion?
I'd be up for that, though I think we ought to include features as well, since there are generally fewer of them, and there are a lot of cases that would be in an awkward intermediary zone that we'd have to constantly litigate and relitigate. Who wants to be the one to tell swo he can't vote for Zorns Lemma?

I will boldly predict that there will be a lot of people wanting to vote for mainstream and arthouse narrative films and arguing over what is and isn't experimental (predictions: Fight Club, something by Christopher Nolan, Fire Walk with Me, 2001, Jeanne Dielman, selected episodes of Deadwood). Though God knows what guidelines could be drawn up to limit the vote to actual experimental cinema.
After watching India Song, that seems like more of a grey area than those others you mention, but I still wouldn't consider it an experimental film. I would consider Inland Empire one- probably the only Lynch to truly bleed from narrative into experimental cinema in its essence. Though I’m not married to that opinion for list purposes if there’s a concrete criteria that excludes it.

Personally, I think you and swo are extremely knowledgeable about the art form and would be confident with any definition you collectively or individually come up with. And I agree on features. Zorns Lemma of course, but also something like Dog Star Man, which is comprised of shorts

senseabove

#2477 Post by senseabove » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:31 am

I'm down. Give me a good reason to get through the Re:Voir discs in my keyvip. And I think we can safely laugh anyone who suggests Fight Club out of the thread as being purposely obtuse or too naive to care. In other words, the typical "okay sure if you wanna vote for it I guess?" standard of our genre-based lists should work as usual. With experimental/avante-garde, whatever the length, the challenge will just be getting enough consensus—I feel like it'd need to be a list of 100 to even get us started, as it's such an insanely wide field of elective affinities. As for lines of demarcation, I think the more interesting question than "will someone vote for Fight Club" is: how hard of a push would it need to get some of you folks to vote for Minnie the Moocher?

denti alligator

#2478 Post by denti alligator » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:10 am

zedz wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:38 pm
denti alligator wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:26 pm
Would anyone be interested in doing a list on experimental/avant-garde shorts, with maybe a 4-6 month lead time for recommendations and discussion?
I'd be up for that, though I think we ought to include features as well, since there are generally fewer of them, and there are a lot of cases that would be in an awkward intermediary zone that we'd have to constantly litigate and relitigate. Who wants to be the one to tell swo he can't vote for Zorns Lemma?

I will boldly predict that there will be a lot of people wanting to vote for mainstream and arthouse narrative films and arguing over what is and isn't experimental (predictions: Fight Club, something by Christopher Nolan, Fire Walk with Me, 2001, Jeanne Dielman, selected episodes of Deadwood). Though God knows what guidelines could be drawn up to limit the vote to actual experimental cinema.
I think swo should be the arbiter. We can debate; he can decide. We might say “non-narrative” to exclude all of your predictions? Even that could be debated, but it might be helpful in narrowing the eligible films (Street of Crocodiles out; Rehearsals for Extinct Anatomies in?) Or maybe not. Meshes of the Afternoon is definitely narrative.

As for length: I would want to limit it. Long experimental films tend to be really long (Walden; Empire), so even Zorns Lemma feels like a short. Can we say 1 hour and under? Or is that too arbitrary?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2479 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:44 am

I would be inclined not to limit eligibility based on length or any other terms. However, if one round of voting that way left us without a consensus, we could allow for additional rounds where people are permitted to get rid of their orphans and replace them with picks that others support.

Also, I could in theory head this up, but another question is whether zedz might like to make his triumphant return to list tabulation with such a project... :D

denti alligator

#2480 Post by denti alligator » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:57 am

swo17 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:44 am
I would be inclined not to limit eligibility based on length or any other terms. However, if one round of voting that way left us without a consensus, we could allow for additional rounds where people are permitted to get rid of their orphans and replace them with picks that others support.

Also, I could in theory head this up, but another question is whether zedz might like to make his triumphant return to list tabulation with such a project... :D
I second that idea. Also fine with the open length.

zedz

#2481 Post by zedz » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:48 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:44 am

Oh, okay.

Let's kick around a few parameters here before we officially set this up, to see if we can get some coherent guidelines in place.

Working from easiest to hardest definitions, a film is eligible for consideration if it is;
- abstract (i.e. non-representational)
- non-narrative
- experimental (here's where things get tricky)

"Experimental" does not equal "independent" or "arty" or "weird": there's some kind of substantial formal leap away from the norms of commercial filmmaking involved.

Experimental cinema is film:
- created outside the mainstream commercial film industry (so studio films are therefore not eligible);
- created in some kind of opposition to the mainstream commercial film tradition (so independent films mimicking commercial forms are not eligible - Herschell Gordon Lewis may have made some bizarre films in his time, but he's not an experimental filmmaker);
- generally acknowledged to be in the tradition of "underground film", 'experimental cinema" or "avant garde cinema" (i.e. if you're the only person who argues that your pet film is experimental, for the purposes of this project, let it go and move on). There's a lot of writing on this subject, and if a filmmaker is well known but doesn't feature within it, maybe they're not part of the tradition.

Scott MacDonald's opening half-paragraph from A Critical Cinema (a series which was - initially- concerned with US experimental film) might be useful as a reference point:

The most interesting and useful film-critical insights of recent years, it could be argued, have been coming not from the continuing elaborations of auteurism and genre studies or from the systematic application of recent French theory to popular film, but from that remarkable body of North American films known variously as "underground film," "the New American Cinema," * "experimental cinema" and "avant-garde cinema." Many, if not most, of the filmmakers loosely designated by such terms explicitly and implicitly view the dominant, commercial cinema (and its sibling, television) not as a competing mode but as a set of culturally conditioned and accepted approaches to cinema - a cultural text - to be analyzed from within the medium of film itself. One of the goals of these critical filmmakers has been to place our awareness and acceptance of the commercial forms and their highly conventionalized modes of representation into crisis. In this sense , the term "avant garde," which is widely used to designate this area of cinema, is a misnomer because it suggests that the films are important primarily because they lead the way for the more conventional forms.

MacDonald's notion of "critical cinema" isn't exactly what I imagine we're looking at (he includes independent narrative feature filmmakers who transitioned into studio work, for example), but his five volumes of interviews give a pretty thorough picture of the kind of filmmakers we're talking about:
Hollis Frampton, Larry Gottheim, Robert Huot, Take Iimura, Carolee Schneemann, Tom Chomont, J.J. Murphy, Vivienne Dick, Beth B., Scott B., Bruce Conner, Robert Nelson, Babette Mangolte, George Kuchar, Diana Barrie, Manuel DeLanda, Morgan Fisher, Robert Breer, Trinh T. Minh-Ha, James Benning, Su Friedrich, Godfrey Reggio, Yoko Ono, Michael Snow, Anne Robertson, Jonas Mekas, Bruce Baillie, Yvonne Rainer, Laura Mulvey, Lizzie Borden. Anthony McCall, Andrew Noren, Anne Severson, William Greaves, Jordan Belson, Arthur Peleshian, Ken & Flo Jacobs, Craig Baldwin, Gunvor Nelson, Rose Lowder, Peter Hutton, Valie Export, Patrick Bokanowski, Yervant Gianikian & Angela Ricci Lucchi, Elias Merhige, Aline Mare, Cauleen Smith, John Porter, Raphael Montanez Ortiz, Martin Arnold, Peter Kubelka, Harun Farocki, Peter Forgacs, Kenneth Anger, Tony Conrad, Nathaniel Dorsky, Peggy Ahwesh, Phil Solomon, Matthias Muller, Sharon Lockhart, Shiho Kano, Ernie Gehr.

Some filmmakers included in the volumes whom I didn't include above are:
Ross McElwee, Hara Kazuo, Christine Choy, Alan Berliner - as they belong more to the tradition of documentary than experimental film
John Waters, Peter Watkins, Charles Burnett, Mani Kaul - I consider these primarily narrative feature filmmakers (with Watkins sometimes straying into documentary / essay film)
Sally Potter, Chantal Akerman - that difficult category of filmmakers who have made unambiguously independent experimental films and unambiguously commercial feature films within the industry. Will need to be considered on common-sense grounds case by case. Philippe Garrel and David Lynch would also be on this watch-list.

* For those not aware of its historical provenance, "the New American Cinema" has nothing to do with Scorsese, Coppola or Easy Rider.

denti alligator

#2482 Post by denti alligator » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:15 pm

Excellent zedz. This is very helpful and I reckon with these parameters there will only be isolated borderline cases to arbitrate. I guess I better get watching!

therewillbeblus

#2483 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:24 pm

Thanks zedz! Just to clarify your three proposed criteria above: does a film work if it meets one of them, or only all three? For instance, I think some of Yvonne Rainer's films are narrative/documentary but also experimental, just as something like Inland Empire has some narrative ambitions but ultimately functions as a series of disconnected experimental pieces (and the extras on the disc confirm that this film was indeed composed and shot differently than his narrative ones, without a definitive script and as a bunch of disconnected abstractions created on the fly across a period of many years - I love the part in the Lynch(one) doc where he's talking about reading through the Bible to try to figure out what this organic thing he's created might even mean!) But also, I don't need Rainer or Lynch to count towards what we're trying to do, just trying to get more concrete about what is what.

zedz

#2484 Post by zedz » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:26 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:24 pm
Thanks zedz! Just to clarify your three proposed criteria above: does a film work if it meets one of them, or only all three? For instance, I think some of Yvonne Rainer's films are narrative/documentary but also experimental, just as something like Inland Empire has some narrative ambitions but ultimately functions as a series of disconnected experimental pieces (and the extras on the disc confirm that this film was indeed composed and shot differently than his narrative ones, without a definitive script and as a bunch of disconnected abstractions created on the fly across a period of many years - I love the part in the Lynch(one) doc where he's talking about reading through the Bible to try to figure out what this organic thing he's created might even mean!) But also, I don't need Rainer or Lynch to count towards what we're trying to do, just trying to get more concrete about what is what.
Off the top of my head, I think most of Rainer's films would qualify: she's firmly established in the tradition and would have to swing pretty commercial to disqualify a film. Likewise, if a filmmaker is firmly established in the commercial tradition, they'd have to make a pretty unambiguously experimental film to qualify, I guess.

Lynch has a bunch of clearly experimental films: the early shorts, Premonition Following an Evil Deed, for instance. Without the context of his (basically commerical) feature career, Eraserhead and Inland Empire would fall into the experimental basket, but as part of that continuum (where Inland Empire is the weirder-than-usual feature he did between the still-quite-weird Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks: The Return) I'm not so sure. And I guess I'm railing against this project becoming just another excuse to celebrate the same old filmmakers that suck up all the oxygen in all the regular lists projects. If you must vote for Inland Empire, go for it, but let's talk about something different for a change.

You know, it would be tempting to simply rule out anybody who's made a commercial studio feature during their career, which would make it brutally cut and dried, but I'm sure that would end up unfairly eliminating some major figures.

zedz

#2485 Post by zedz » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:36 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:24 pm
Thanks zedz! Just to clarify your three proposed criteria above: does a film work if it meets one of them, or only all three? For instance, I think some of Yvonne Rainer's films are narrative/documentary but also experimental.
Oh, I think I misunderstood a bit of what you were asking.

Abstract, non-narrative and experimental weren't cumulative qualities or boxes that needed to be ticked, but simply increasingly large subsets of cinema.

All abstract films are non-narrative (in the sense that if you anthropomorphize a random shape enough to fashion a narrative with it, it's no longer non-representational); all non-narrative films are experimental (since narrative film is the commercial norm); but experimental film is a much broader category, and much harder to define, and it often does include representation (e.g. Castro Street), characters (e.g. Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome), narratives (e.g. Riddles of the Sphinx) and other characteristics of commercial cinema. But none of those films look anything like a commercial feature.

therewillbeblus

#2486 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:56 pm

Thanks! Yeah no, that's all fair, and honestly I'd only be interested in considering something like Inland Empire if its experimental value was enhanced by other films we go through in the project. Like, if I run through so many esoteric, buried, non-commercial films that operate similarly to rogue components or the structure of the Lynch, read compendiums on experimental film and read others' thoughts here to aid these interpretations, only to come to some wild conclusion that actually, Inland Empire is the greatest/ultimate experimental film ever, because [countless hypothetical reasons yet to be determined, coming from other members here, ancillary resources, etc.], that would be cool. But that may not happen. That's the only reason I wouldn't want to rule something like this out. Having said that, I'm really here to explore untraveled waters, so good with whatever ruling exists. My experience re-evaluating whatever is excluded can happen separately if others don't see value in the hypothetical situation I'm proposing.

denti alligator

#2487 Post by denti alligator » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:33 pm

Honestly, I think it will be more difficult to determine with cinema from 1895-1910.

zedz

#2488 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:57 pm

In terms of other parameters, I think this would work best as a long-running project (Till the end of the year? This time next year? Let's steer clear of any other list deadlines, anyway), so people have time to track down and absorb plenty of films, and a 50-film-or-nothing vote, since the field is vast and there is likely to be so much vote-splitting that a consensus list might be a challenge to achieve (which would be fine with me!) (And if you can't find fifty experimental films you love out of the entire history of cinema, then maybe this isn't your list project.)

therewillbeblus

#2489 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:29 pm

I love that, especially since it allots so much time to delve into blind spots and acquire discs as they're recommended that may have to come from across the globe. For instance, several members here have been super helpful at pointing me in the direction of certain experimental releases that are more or less comprehensive than OOP ones I'm seeking but come from, say, your area of the world (i.e. Len Lye - New Zealand) and I suspect that knowledgeable parties will be able to break down releases people may want to seek out with specifics on X vs. Y overlap on compiled films, or opt for DVD to get Z more films than the blu-ray works, etc. This seems a bit more complicated as far as accessibility given multiple releases, what's in print, what release contains/omits which key films, etc. than an auteur project where a list of films show it's on blu in France, or to avoid this one DVD because it's in the wrong AR

zedz

#2490 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:31 pm

Actually, the wikipedia page on Experimental Film provides a useful overview of the form, and a useful definition in its opening paragraphs, and might be a good general guideline for what's in and out:

Experimental film or avant-garde cinema is a mode of filmmaking that rigorously re-evaluates cinematic conventions and explores non-narrative forms or alternatives to traditional narratives or methods of working. Many experimental films, particularly early ones, relate to arts in other disciplines: painting, dance, literature and poetry, or arise from research and development of new technical resources.

While some experimental films have been distributed through mainstream channels or even made within commercial studios, the vast majority have been produced on very low budgets with a minimal crew or a single person and are either self-financed or supported through small grants.

Though I propose that we rule out films "made within commercial studios" just to miminize ambiguity and bickering. But this wouldn't affect a 'mainstream' stalwart of experimental cinema like the NFB / ONC, or the British GPO Film Unit.

senseabove

#2491 Post by senseabove » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:45 pm

I like long-running and 50-or-nothing. How do folks feel about it being at least 50 and up to 100 per list? Considering the vast majority of relevant films are on the shorter end, I don't think it'll be a difficult to get 100 for most of us.

therewillbeblus

#2492 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:46 pm

I'm good with all of these proposals

denti alligator

#2493 Post by denti alligator » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:52 pm

Yes to long-running. I’d be fine with 50 or 100. Let’s get a discussion thread going!

(EDIT: I wonder how useful these lists would be: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ ... arde_films)

zedz

#2494 Post by zedz » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:44 pm

denti alligator wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:52 pm
Yes to long-running. I’d be fine with 50 or 100. Let’s get a discussion thread going!

(EDIT: I wonder how useful these lists would be: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ ... arde_films)
A quick sample suggests they'd be way too broad as guidelines for this project. They include films like Germany, Pale Mother, Svankmajer's Faust, Crimes of the Future (2022), The Tracker, Anatomy of Hell, Teorema, Gerry. . .

Most of the films on the early list seem to be early pioneers of special effects. In a way, every very early film was experimental, but not in the sense that the term is now used.

I'm foolishly trying to pull together a viewing list (i.e. what's available on disc) before launching the discussion thread.

denti alligator

#2495 Post by denti alligator » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:55 pm

zedz wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:44 pm
I'm foolishly trying to pull together a viewing list (i.e. what's available on disc) before launching the discussion thread.
Any luck with this? It might not be worth the effort—or you could post what you have and we can suggest additions as the discussion continues. I just got the new Ken Jacobs set put out by Kino. Not sure how much of this material has appeared in 1080p before?

zedz

#2496 Post by zedz » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:30 pm

I’ve broken the back of it, and part of my brain, and realising there are a lot of things long out of print that I don’t think are worth the effort unless somebody desperately wants to include them. Maybe kick off next week?

And I’m currently thinking that maybe we should presuppose that narrative features aren’t eligible, but can be ruled in on a case by case basis.

denti alligator

#2497 Post by denti alligator » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:42 pm

zedz wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:30 pm
And I’m currently thinking that maybe we should presuppose that narrative features aren’t eligible, but can be ruled in on a case by case basis.
Sounds reasonable. It’s going to be hard to define “narrative,” of course. But I think we will be able mostly to agree.

therewillbeblus

#2498 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:30 pm

I’m curious what zedz would say about La flor, which is obviously not an experimental film but functions as both a film about narrative and a radically anti-narrative film, disrupting and destroying it cheekily in service of celebrating performance. It’s a giant experiment composed of mini-experimental sections, but it’s also definitively and thematically narrative. I imagine this is entirely excluded, which is totally fair, but I do wonder what the difference between experimental and avant-garde is

zedz

#2499 Post by zedz » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:03 am

Nope. It belongs to the long tradition of unusual narrative films. The last section on its own might qualify, but it’s not on its own.

Love Torn in Dream, for instance, is about as weird and original as narrative cinema gets (and far wackier than La Flor), but it’s not an experimental feature in the sense that Dog Star Man or La Region Centrale are.

This reassures me that a general bar on narrative features is the right way to go!

therewillbeblus

#2500 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:21 am

Yeah I was gonna do that anyways. It’s interesting you bring up Love Torn in a Dream, because it follows the general outline of ‘radically experimenting with narrative’, but I’d consider it more of an ultra-narrative film resulting from the joys of freewheeling manipulative experimentation than Llinas’, which seems to be fatalistically subverting narrative to arrive at the power of the women as performers against the consciousness of the artists’ wills, like a gravitational pull on Llinas from a spiritual ouija board. So it’s more anti-narrative by mistake rather than design, even if the disruption was part of the initial plan and structure from the outset.

But yeah, the Ruiz is the best example of experimenting with narrative and yet it’s not an experimental film. Neither is the Llinas (I never would’ve voted for it), just wanted to gauge your thoughts in reference to the parameters. I think I’m still lost on where definitions of experimental and avant-garde align or differentiate, the latter has always felt more abstract

I guess the real question is: where do the bulk of Godard’s films fit?