2010s List Discussion and Suggestions (Lists Project Vol. 3)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: 2010-2014 List Discussion and Suggestions

#126 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:34 am

thirtyframesasecond wrote:I thought The Intouchables was France's most successful film ever or something. I thought it looked really schmaltzy, like something that could've easily been done by Ron Howard or Paul Haggis.
It is extremely predictable and very cliché.
For the same duo of directors, I much prefer Je prefere qu'on reste amis and Nos jours heureux. Both are much funnier and less superficial / pretentious.
Last edited by tenia on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TMDaines

#127 Post by TMDaines » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:13 am

It made me laugh more than just about any other film has done in recent years.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#128 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:32 am

Friendly reminder that lists are due two months from now, at the end of May. At which point you will never be allowed to talk about any of these movies ever again, so do it now while you still can.

knives

#129 Post by knives » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:53 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:I thought The Intouchables was France's most successful film ever or something. I thought it looked really schmaltzy, like something that could've easily been done by Ron Howard or Paul Haggis.
Yes, that's my impression as well with that European success pushing its Internet popularity. Most of the IMDB votes for example come outside the US by a significant margin.

thirtyframesasecond

#130 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:52 pm

I just checked and it's made $166m in France and almost $450m globally. I don't think it made any impression in the UK oddly (although maybe not since it's unlikely to make the multiplexes and equally unlikely to show in your Curzons).

TMDaines

2010-2014 List Discussion and Suggestions

#131 Post by TMDaines » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:58 pm

It was a reasonable arthouse hit, I believe. It played very well at my cinema. Foreign mainstream comedies often do less well here because of our preference for more high brow works shown with subtitles as opposed to dubbing works that may have a more mainstream appeal.

Curzons I wouldn't consider to be any sort of arbiter of arthouse appeal though. They show all the superhero crap and 50 Shades of Grey after all. Half of their cinemas are showing Eddie the Eagle this week all day.

thirtyframesasecond

#132 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:13 am

TMDaines wrote:It was a reasonable arthouse hit, I believe. It played very well at my cinema. Foreign mainstream comedies often do less well here because of our preference for more high brow works shown with subtitles as opposed to dubbing works that may have a more mainstream appeal.

Curzons I wouldn't consider to be any sort of arbiter of arthouse appeal though. They show all the superhero crap and 50 Shades of Grey after all. Half of their cinemas are showing Eddie the Eagle this week all day.
Curzons are kind of like the Miramax of the independent cinema world now; they started with that quality outsider shtick, but now much more part of the establishment. I'm sure they can make or break an indie/arthouse/foreign film in the UK though.

Last time I went to one was at Victoria; plush seats and about £20 a ticket. Much like anywhere now, it's more about a souped-up "experience" (e.g. more expensive) than the films.

TMDaines

2010-2014 List Discussion and Suggestions

#133 Post by TMDaines » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:53 am

The ones outside their core London ones are really odd. They essentially show most of the big blockbusters, especially during holidays, and only show art house fare during quieter weeks or a few screenings a week. As you say, they are far more about being posh cinemas than diverse programming. Art house for them is their money making brand as opposed to their fundamental reason for existence. I virtually never use the one near me in Knutsford and always head to HOME in Manchester. Just compare their two programming slates this week – yikes! Papusza, Victoria and British indie fare versus Eddie the Eagle and Zootropolis.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#134 Post by Brian C » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:37 am

The Intouchables played for several months here in Chicago-area cinemas, and I worked at one of those cinemas during part of its run. It was a big hit exclusively with the type of older affluent audiences that make stuff like The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel successful.

Altair

#135 Post by Altair » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:28 am

knives wrote: Mr. Turner
...Yet it is so hard to love this film as much as it deserves due to Leigh's typical hatred of the working class (though he directs a fair amount of ire against the wealthy classes here) and laughter at the miseries of his characters. I recognize I'm in the minority on viewing Leigh this way and the film does have a few moments to undercut this critique (Spall's encounter with the prostitute), but I get the sense that Leigh hates Turner for his lack of up bringing, there are many scenes where he tries to show himself and his company as intellectual that seem very teasing.
Sorry for quoting this so long after you posted it, but could you please expand upon this notion that Leigh 'hates' the working class? It's a point of view I've never, ever come across in regards to his work and am intrigued by what makes you think this.

thirtyframesasecond

#136 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:55 am

Altair wrote:
...Yet it is so hard to love this film as much as it deserves due to Leigh's typical hatred of the working class (though he directs a fair amount of ire against the wealthy classes here) and laughter at the miseries of his characters. I recognize I'm in the minority on viewing Leigh this way and the film does have a few moments to undercut this critique (Spall's encounter with the prostitute), but I get the sense that Leigh hates Turner for his lack of up bringing, there are many scenes where he tries to show himself and his company as intellectual that seem very teasing.
Sorry for quoting this so long after you posted it, but could you please expand upon this notion that Leigh 'hates' the working class? It's a point of view I've never, ever come across in regards to his work and am intrigued by what makes you think this.
If anything, you could accuse Leigh of undermining the lower middle classes on the make, those who might've been working class a generation ago but have adopted airs and graces. His more working class characters tend to be rather saintly in comparison.

knives

#137 Post by knives » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Altair wrote:
I think Thirty is right about this film in its vacuum, but I also had in mind Life is Sweet and All or Nothing. Those two don't have the presence of upward mobility to excuse Leigh turning the act of being lower class into some sort of circus of the grotesque. At best they seem to have a zoo like interest for Leigh, but at worst I think he is asking us to take a negative eye to the characters as stupid and self destructive.

knives

#138 Post by knives » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:14 pm

5 Flights Up
Bland to the point of offensive. Richard Loncraine directs presumably between naps as Diane Keaton and Morgan Freeman stare grumpily at young people for being straw men versions of what baby boomers think young people are like. When they're done with that they reminisce about when men where men and any marrying a black person was dangerous. The film suggests something about economic troubles, but when we are arguing in sums over a million dollars the message comes across as divorced from the proceedings in an arrogant fashion. I get that I'm on the opposite side of the audience that this film wants and I'm sure some nostalgic 70 year olds get something out of this, but King Lear this is not.

The Inconsolable
I feel like I need a greater deal of context into Pavese and what Straub has been up to since his other half's death to fully appreciate this, but just in terms of the text given and the bit of biography available this seems like a goodbye letter and while as fully composed as ever a rare emotional display by the cinematic master of the intellect. Perhaps it is too haughty to equate Straub with Orpheus, but the style aids in that suggestion. The film is shot fairly similarly to his Kafka short from the same year adapting a dialog between a priestess of Bacchus (I think) and Orpheus almost ridiculing the act of having emotions and completely ripping apart the tragedy in expressing them while at the same time forcing an acknowledgment of the need for that expression. It's an interesting short which is more immediately enjoyable then the Kafka one though I don't know how much of that has to do with more interplay and a more accessible theme.

The Kindergarten Teacher
This is a more mild film then the thriller that Kino is selling this as, but that genre tease gets at what is so great here. The responsibility of a teacher can be contradictory encouraging students to open up their natural talents and grow, fitting in with the entendre that's a bit more forceful in hebrew for the title, yet keeping a distance so that you don't become involved with that growth. Lapid is brilliant at capturing the personal horror and professional disappointment that this contradiction can bring up if the later elements wear down as it does here in the face of Yoav's bizarre poetic genius. It's creepy and disturbing to watch her fall apart because she becomes too involved with being a gardener. This is done without a bit of realism to the profession, but I don't think that is part of the film's goals which seem aligned with more interior truths so I'm not holding that against Lapid.

Sarit Larry conveys all of this beautifully, but the way Avi Shnaidman is coached is what makes this so effective a terror. Essentially he is left as just a kid with a documentary sense to his performance so strong I wouldn't be surprised if Lapid just filmed him messing around for the most part. Even when he has to do something for the plot like the poetry recitals there's a awkward fidgety nature to him that lets him seem unaware of all the talk the adults are doing for him. He's a completely passive character which heightens the feeling that all of these adults are imprinting their feelings onto him rather then taking him as the average toddler he is. The only thing that seems to take him at face value is the camera. It doesn't do any point of view shots from him, but in scenes where he is present the camera often is taken from his eye line cutting off the adults as the torso and giving a sense of distraction from the ongoing events. There's additional musing about the place of art in Israeli society, ethnic strife within the Jewish community of Tel Aviv, and the economic difficulties in the era of Netanyahu but they aren't dealt with in a terribly interesting fashion and are given too little screentime to be worth more then a mention.

Too Big to Fail
I'm glad for Dom's recommendation because even without seeing The Big Short this proved as a surprisingly smart and well scripted breakdown of the banking crisis. The assumption on Peter Gould's part that everyone already knows the basics and that focusing on the sociopathic regrets and stupidity of those culpable is more informative is what makes this really work. The film primarily focuses on William Hurt's secretary of state and James Woods' Geoffrey Rush's CEO which gives a sense of the heat on both sides. Woods really thinks he's the hero of this story and audience identification doesn't make him entirely wrong, but there are moments where the flop sweat settles and you get a real sense of the Greek tragedy level hubris he embodies. Without getting into the specifics it is clear based on personality how he messed up. Likewise Hurt wants to appear like the voice of reason and responsibility, but as the film so cheekily reminds us this is all his fault anyway and even his good deeds are selfishly motivated perfectly illustrated by his little chat with the Chinese. He too becomes a mess to have as a protagonist. Really the whole script is nearly Mamet level of protagonist-audience relationship complexity with even a few great witticisms like Hurt complaining about Brits closing or some aid asking if he can order a company to go into bankruptcy. There's a lot of great political reasons to like this film and of course this is a murderer's row of actors (nice to see Giamatti do great if again typical work after Win Win), but that story crafting is so good that it sells even just on that.

A Separation
The critical logline of this being a very good, but not especially unique melodrama is dead on. Where the narrative goes is a bit surprising as Farhadi sidelines his best actor in favour of telling the story of the husband's complications with a nurse taking care of his senile father. Even when Hatami returns, though just barely, to the film it is in relation to the nurse and her father-in-law leaving a weirdly conservative message saved by the great empathy that the film gives to all of the characters. In fact the drama forces a complete glossing over of the issues put into place by the opening scene making the title plot just a tool which sounds interesting, but in practice makes one wonder why Farhadi didn't just make Nader a widower instead which would clean up a lot of the fat on the film. The plotting does get a little too Three's Company with innocent misunderstanding upon nervous lies ratcheting the drama leaving a sense that everyone present are idiots unable to just communicate. This is a bit harsher then the film deserves as it is good for what it is and does serve some rare pleasures, but it just isn't up to the standard of Iran's best movies.
Last edited by knives on Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#139 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:17 pm

Glad you liked Too Big to Fail, I pretty much consign your whole response across the board. It's a great and smart film

knives

#140 Post by knives » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:56 pm

After getting used to Roach's anemic films which this shares a lot with on the surface it was a genuine shock that the film was good let alone such an expertly crafted example of character based classical filmmaking. I guess though I should see Margin Call at least to better fit this movie in.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#141 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:27 pm

Margin Call is okay, but I preferred Arbitrage from the "Rich white guys getting away with everything" mini-movement of this period

colinr0380

#142 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:01 pm

Well it does have Brit Marling in, so that's an immediate plus for Arbitrage!

knives

#143 Post by knives » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Ahh, and it is by one of the Jarecki which is an instant plus.

Satori

#144 Post by Satori » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:07 am

I rewatched Spring Breakers (2012) and The Bling Ring (2013) as a double bill recently: I remember liking them both when they came out and both seemed to have a similar interest in unpacking the cultural politics of privileged white teens. But the films are radically different: Spring Breakers revels in the affective textures of this culture: the drugs, dubstep, sex, and video game violence. It seems interested in both the inevitable failure of any search for meaning in this world and the way in which youth try to convince themselves that such meaning still exists. The film ultimately leaves us with the empty shell of a world consuming itself through a sugar rush of empty commodities. The film offers moments of apparent transcendence for its characters (such as the piano performance of the Brittany Spears song) but denies any true fulfillment of desire.

Despite occasionally indulging in this world’s affective flurry through its soundtrack, Bling Ring is more distanced: Coppola reuses the interview technique from Virgin Suicides and frequently frames sequences in long takes from a considerable distance. The celebrated robbery sequence filmed from a far-off security camera is one instance of this, but there are also scenes in the club in which the kids are all talking selfies and posting on facebook shot in this way. Both films are about the aesthetics of boredom: in Spring Breakers, it is the boredom of too much stimulation without any substance, while Coppola's cinematography removes us from the subjective position of the characters in order to make their lives seem boring (or reveal its inherent boredom) to the audience.

Both films borrow from Godard, but they use different Godards: Korine the jump cuts, repetition of sequences, and the use of montage to juxtapose ideas (the Eisensteinian Godard), and Coppola the distancing effect of interviews and long takes (the Brechtian and Bazinian Godards). This is because Coppola is interested in the cultural reasons for these kids' existence: she shows T.V. clips of the vacuous celebrities they are emulating and includes a critique of self-help culture through the Emma Watson character’s mother. The end effect of this is that Coppola opens the door for alternative possibilities; her's is a more pointed diagnosis of youth culture than what seems like Korine's wholesale condemnation of it. I don't honestly know which film takes the best path: Bling Ring risks moralizing while Spring Breakers risks nihilism.

I doubt that I like either of these films enough for them to make the cut when I narrow down my list to 25 (which is proving to be an impossible task in a great half-decade of cinema), but they are both extremely interesting. Spring Breakers might be a bit more impressive to me, if only because I can't stand anything else Korine has done while I love Coppola.

knives

#145 Post by knives » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:04 pm

I feel like I'm suffocating the air out of both ongoing lists. Yikes.

A Walk Among the Tombstones
Liam Neeson's transition into action hero is such an obvious move that it breeds excessive frustration that the move has largely been wasted on poor movies. Fortunately Out of Sight writer Scott Frank knows exactly what makes Neeson the perfect heavy. In what's the best use of this persona since The Grey Neeson is a giant physical threat who towers over everyone, but is brought back to earth through a slouch and hang dog eyes which are reminiscent of nobody short of late Robert Mitchum. As an actor's showcase this hits the spot. Unfortunately it's attached to a lame rendering of tired noir cliches fused onto a too clean '70s aesthetic. The film remains a mild pleasure, but would probably be more enjoyable at a leaner pace ala The Limey. The most obvious thing to cut would be the stereotypical black sidekick who is included I suppose to humanize Neeson, but he isn't even necessary with Neeson's eyes and brow doing it perfectly already.

The Special Relationship
This is a handsome sequel that severely fumbles on the main thing that made the earlier film such a joy. Quaid and Davis are great as the Americans and Loncraine doesn't mess up his end instead giving this a nice and occasionally moody feel. The main issue is that the film is too expansive and buys into itself a little too much. The first thirty or so minutes are unnecessary and Morgan should have shrunk the scope of the film to just one or two instances of the affair rather then every note of their relationship. The same amount of time given to Lewinsky or preferably Kosovo would have been a better use of the film's time and would give a greater sense of forward movement from The Queen. Also a reduction of character would have helped. The tension between the queen and Blair allowed for some effective musings on the purpose of relics in contemporary political life to be thoroughly explored, but the theme here of legacy building comes across too blunt and an afterthought because of how thin spread things are. It really is a major waste of some great talent doing such great work when it is clear how easy it is to raise this to an excellent film.

Willow Creek
This is a meandering, overlong, and repetitive entry in a genre that was dead with the Bush administration. The characters are CW non-entities and the plot follows on The Blair Witch Project way too closely without understanding the payoff. There's one good shot in the film, admittedly it takes up about an eighth of the movie, which is professionally photographed by the low standards of the genre, and some of that World's Greatest Dad wit comes through, but that's stretching an okay 30 minute short to 80 boring minutes.

The World of Kanako
Kamikaze Girls was one of the first films I saw that really caused me to get into film in a serious way so I'm coming into this with a bit of undue nostalgia and overly high expectations leaving my reaction anything but objective. This is a lot more typical of the sort of Japanese films which get imported stateside with the very extreme violence and sex (though Nakashima gives a cleaner, higher budget sheen compared to the usual Miike looks). A lot of the themes too are fairly generic hitting the typical fears of youth, confused sexuality, and the failings of patriarchy that you get in a lot of Japanese films from the past two decades or so. Fortunately Nakashima fully commits delivering a film that is as aesthetically unique as it is mad in its story telling. The pre-credits sequence stuffing the next 100 minutes into an elliptical Russ Meyer inspired seven minutes is the highlight giving something genuinely unseen in recent years where four (at least) timlines are squished together at a rapid pace just barely giving the sense of one story. The rest of the film is a little more typical with the horribleness of who Kanako is being the one novelty though it would have had a greater effect had the father not been so much worse. It's easy to conceive of a better version of this film with just a few minor tweaks, but this variation all the same i pretty excellent. It would have been easy to just let it be a series of quirks with the lollipop sucking cop and the schizophrenia of the lead just being icing on the quirk cake, but everyone works really hard to imbue the proceedings with a genuine emotional honesty which gives a little relief to the aesthetic overload. Also the quirks don't really pileup until the last half hour allowing for something like a naturalistic relationship to develop between the characters and for the themes.

Passion
This is De Palma on a complete lark with some disengagement from the material turning fun into the key word and boy is it ever. For the most part the original film is tossed to the side in favour of an old fashioned actor off. Aside from one key scene De Palma shoots in a relaxed and semi-conventional manner instead refocusing everything in the film so as to better serve the actors. There's still some capitalism critique going on here, but DePalma makes the subtext such literal text here that the film seems more concerned about sexuality then money. Even this is subservient to the actors though as it is used primarily to contrast them while also developing a strange sort of mimesis down to McAdams only wanting sex with her partner wearing a death mask of her.

Finally getting to them McAdams definitely hasn't been better with this easily being her juiciest role so far. I can't think of an actor so underutilized today and it's nice just getting her to display all of her talent. I'm less familiar with Rapace, but she too gets an incredible opportunity here. The way they're contrasted is pretty interesting too with McAdams having her long angularity emphasized while Rapace comes across as soft and short. Her bangs cover her head shrinking her even further compared to McAdams, yet it's McAdams who gets work within a traditional femininity not only in dress, but even in movement where the camera does the walking for her in a lot of scenes while Rapace is much more active flailing all around the place. This isn't De Palma at his best, but it's impressive all the same.

As an aside I'm curious what is so off putting about this film (which all things considered is fairly conventional) that IMDB people have it rated so tremendously low?

Life Itself
This is a pretty average borderline hagiography that I can see the appeal of if you care about Ebert, but James is too close to the material and so jokingly passes over anything compelling or flawed about Ebert's life in exchange for lame heart string tugging or comedic antagonism. Perhaps the film would have been better as a direct cinema thing at the hospital which are the only parts that threaten to be a movie and not an elevated making of extra

Bastards
That definite article that's dropped in the english title is absolutely necessary since the force of this movie and the fact it is almost all emotionally driven is lost without those three little letters. The film is fairly incoherent due to the ellipses and I would have never pieced together the plot as much as I did or as soon as I did with the summary and the incoherence was only further compounded by the fact that I simply could not tell about the actors playing the sister and lover to the point I'm a little surprised they were played by different people. I reserve the right for a rewatch to improve my feelings on this, but even the difficult story telling fits with the singular anger of the film which 'the' really conveys. At times it almost doesn't matter that Denis gives no clue, for example, why half way through the film the lead is in a brawl. Emotionally that makes total sense both because of the sadness of the previous scene and because of the red soaked anger of the film. It's surprising how accurate the poster presents the colour tone of this movie as if the camera's eye had gone totally red with anger.
SpoilerShow
At the same time it might be a little ironic. I can't entirely tell if Marco was having sex with his sister or not, but there is a lot of morally problematic stuff from all of the characters which opens the film up from all of the character's pointed anger into an almost comical, "well you all are bastards," tone that contrasts fantastically with everything. It's perhaps a little too nihilistic, but sometimes its great if totally exhausting fun to revel in such an attitude.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#146 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:34 am

Just a reminder that film club for the next week and a half is devoted to the Coen brothers' Inside Llewyn Davis. If you act fast, this could be your chance to play as warm-up act to Sloper's Bob Dylan.

Also, with just about a month left until the deadline, I suppose people can start PMing me their lists at any time.

Tommaso

#147 Post by Tommaso » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:31 am

Okay, with only one month left, I must finally mention my

Spotlight title:

Sudoeste (Eduardo Nunes 2012): Fritz Lang once said that cinemascope was only suitable for snakes and funerals, so what would he have thought about a Brazilian director who shoots his very first - and so far, only - feature film in an aspect ratio of 3.66? Obviously, the film is entirely unsuitable for watching on smaller screens because of this unheard-of format, but 10 minutes in I almost forgot about it, as it entirely fits the story about the girl/woman Clarice, who lives her entire life in a single day (while it's just a normal day for everyone else in the film). While 'time' gets compressed, space is opened, allowing the viewer to see Clarice's encounters with various people in a small village near a saltwater lake always as things that happen only in the foreground of an immense and inexhaustible, possibly inscrutable 'whole'. I don't know what this film means, but it drew me completely into its quasi-magical reality. Critics have mentioned Tarkovsky and Tarr as comparisons (and I'd throw in Erice as well), but the film is far less bleak than Tarr's works, and its astonishing black & white cinematography and brilliant sense of space as well as its slow and meditative character for me indeed warrants the somewhat over-used Tarkovsky comparison. One of the most immersive and thought-provoking films of this decade, and its technical and artistic mastery makes it hard to believe that this is a debut film. Extremely beautiful filmmaking, in any case.
Last edited by Tommaso on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#148 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:41 am

Yes, that ratio allows for some rather striking compositions.

DVD available here

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#149 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:01 pm

Pretty sure some portion of Lemonade was in a ridiculously wide ratio like that, though I don't doubt this film has more artistic merits than that feature length album commercial

Tommaso

#150 Post by Tommaso » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:44 pm

swo17 wrote:
DVD available here
Sigh... somehow I feared it wouldn't be available via more well-known outlets.
But someone has also put it on Vimeo in its entirety (video no. 51020067). Well, just don't use a laptop screen to watch it.