The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
Finch

Re: The Horror List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Project)

#2201 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:40 pm

I wish I had checked in more often on this thread and submitted a list. My Top Ten would have been:

1) Eyes Without A Face
2) I Walked With A Zombie
3) Cure
4) Black Sabbath
5) Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me
6) Seconds
7) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
8) Island of Lost Souls
9) Don't Look Now
10) Alien

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2202 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:25 pm

I thought about Seconds, which would have made my top 10 easily, maybe top 5, but even though the ending is as horrific as you can get I classified it more in my mind as a sci fi thriller.

zedz

#2203 Post by zedz » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:35 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:Oof, that's rough. Assuming zedz submitted a list, I think I'm in the clear.
Whuh-oh.

therewillbeblus

#2204 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:46 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:25 pm
I thought about Seconds, which would have made my top 10 easily, maybe top 5, but even though the ending is as horrific as you can get I classified it more in my mind as a sci fi thriller.
Same, it was on a very short list of films in a 'genre-consideration' section - along with Night of the Hunter, for example - but I just couldn't bring myself to bump a film I saw as predominantly horror for it. I can see a world in which both of those (and terbin's top picks of Curse of the Cat People and Juliet of the Spirits) make a future list, even near the top, but in my mindset right now the horror parts are overshadowed by other genres, even if that's "fantasy."

Films that are undoubtedly horror in theory but have vibes that signal something less specific for my definition (Detention and Happy Death Day 2U, for example) will probably land on the sci-fi list which I think is generally more flexible since its title doesn't elicit a feeling by which to define (i.e. the arguments we've had here of horror as defined by traditional tropes/superficial concepts or the psychological sensations, to oversimplify the poles).

zedz wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:35 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:Oof, that's rough. Assuming zedz submitted a list, I think I'm in the clear.
Whuh-oh.
Luckily City of Pirates still placed high - but together we could have infiltrated the top ten!

Noiradelic

#2205 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:01 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:44 pm
I've got to give Lisa and the Devil another chance one of these days.
I should have picked this to watch on the last night. Instead I went with the The Love Witch, which is borderline horror at best and I didn't like very much. The level of acting is wildly inconsistent and the pacing is very off among other issues. Did watch Kill Baby Kill! for the list.

Finch

#2206 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:20 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:25 pm
I debated it for a long time but I figured it scares me more than most "proper" horror films even on revisits when I know the ending that I thought, fuck it, it goes in. But if I absolutely had to throw it out, I guess it'd make way for something like The Innocents.

Finch

#2207 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:23 pm

I need to rewatch City of Pirates but my French box set is still boxed up in Edinburgh so it'll be a long time before I get to it. My memory of it is too hazy that I wanted to commit to putting it on my list. Maybe by the time the next horror lists get compiled, I'll have seen it, and maybe next time I'll remember to participate before the deadline.

therewillbeblus

#2208 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:39 am

Blind spots to get to 100/100:

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House
After putting this one off for a seemingly unanimous nod-and-shrug tempered praise, I was pretty surprised to see it make the final horror list. Perkins is such a talent at creating atmospheric anxiety in space with a patient and attentive eye, so much so that I found myself drawn to this film from the beginning despite a lack of narrative or character pull. Even if this doesn’t have the creativity in reworking the genre and strategic narrative architecture that The Blackcoat’s Daughter does, the experimental choices in repurposing old ideas though Perkins’ skin-crawling meditative style is worth experiencing, regardless of the absence of having anything unique to say like his first feature at the helm. The problems start to show after the first half, and the story and consequences are so directionless, and ultimately meaningless, that the film winds up feeling like a cheat. Horror movies don’t need to say anything but if a house is haunted it’s helpful to have a worthy reason, and if characters die the shock should be earned. I get that Perkins was attempting to detract from these expectations and again focus his horror on the feelings of loneliness and isolation, which is an admirable route, but one that is executed sloppily. I felt like the further we got into the actual ideas of the film, the less weight the skillful exposition carried. Perkins is a masterful filmmaker. He just needs to draw from the well that inspired his terrific first feature rather than phoning in story and putting his talent to uneven projects.

Surviving Edged Weapons
This wasn’t on my radar, but what a strange find. There is an obviously unintentional humorous reading to view this through, but the intensity of its illustration is taken seriously enough by the filterless filmmakers that we too can’t help but be alarmed by the piercing realism embedded in the absurd context that is entirely socially constructed. In essence the film functions as a horror, and any perceived “objective” comedy is actually fabricated by us, while the horrors are scathing in the real threats in existence that propelled this film into being. The aspect that sells this film is the thesis that people are unpredictable, and that if one is to take a logical risk-management stance in social engagement, they can not only trust no one but not even their own instincts, skilled assessments, or personal experience. This wasn't as baffling a film experience because this isn't new information for me- or told in a new way.. I grew up with a black-belt father who related everything to karate (still does) and has schooled me for hours on the dangerousness of knives as well as the unpredictability of people in the world - though this way of approaching life, regardless of the truth within, is far too overwhelming and terrifying to allow into my consciousness as any segment of a lifestyle blueprint; a trauma-based line of life that works for him and not for me. Good film, and one that elicited a lot of self-reflection from personal and family history, along with being an interesting piece of propaganda when viewed through its historical context of 80s N. America. [Note: While I didn’t find this film to be very funny once I got into its rhythm, the Satanic cult lady was hysterical in its fear-mongering self-seriousness, though even this was a 'fair' choice of scene for its time, following the string of satanic cults that where seemingly everywhere, at least in the northern midwest]

Pontypool
This was a strange beast, starting out with what appeared to be dry comedy and slowly transforming into a far more unsettling yet intriguing concept with novel ideas for a genre film. Character actor Stephen McHattie proves to be a strong leader, who can operate alone with gusto playing off of himself or others as a radio announcer, and many of the best moments are due to his delivery of the promising script, migrating across tonal changes with subtle humor and behavioral honesty. I didn’t love the film as much as some here, but the originality was always welcome. I think the didactic allegories were smarter in the writing room than they were in execution, but that’s only a complaint because of the ambitions this was on track to realise. That it even manages to test the waters is still a form of accomplishment, and I enjoyed the ambiguity of how language can be weaponized and numbed, meaningful and meaningless, fake and authentic, overused and underutilized in power as a kind of sacrilegious gluttony. Of course there’s more to dissect in this exploitation of the tool that is our primary outlet for comprehension and transmission with social impacts and roboticism of Western cultures’ ‘talking without saying anything’ stereotype, as well as the concrete oversimplification of specific connotation recycled as offense dilution of its gifts to the gods, losing steam without the space for abstract critical thinking, but that’s the beauty of the broad premise- theoretically.

Frankenstein Created Woman
Where has this film been all my life? Easily the best Hammer film I’ve ever seen (and I like Hammer) this gem has so much going for it I don’t even know where to start. The color palette pops as does the simple but detailed milieu, reminding me of a restrained Lisa and the Devil with a narrative that flows like an eclectic stream of ideas. We get the chamber thriller first act with a gang of hoodlums that must have inspired A Clockwork Orange to a mesh of variance in character arcs intertwining to give everybody a moment to stew in their own humanity in all its encompassing philosophical anxieties, sociological frustrations, and unbridled passion, eventually leading to Frankenstein’s own disruption of his solipsistic practices to mindfulness and empathy. Part of what sells this is the exploration of a diverse set of people, dynamics, and systems, with layers of psychologies, motives and secrets buried like Easter eggs to either be explained or hinted at with a subtle expression. I love Cushing’s first moment of compassion in a fleeting look of pathos where you can see his eyes leave the clouds and focus on the present, which is so brilliant it shows an entire range of skills for Cushing internalized in the blink of an eye. That his Frankenstein reaches a point where his selfish ego drive and selfless empathy become synonymous is just too paradoxically honest and deep to imagine (for not only his creation but a dignified soul and its carrier, which sheds light on respecting all parts of a person from physical to psychological, as well as taking a complex humanist lens in metaphorcally seeing a person as having both good and evil souls within, refusing to define someone by a single action). I honestly don’t know how Fisher and company pulled it off so effortlessly.

I’m also a sucker for the thriller this is in composition: that where we are provided just enough information to know that stress is brewing with no idea where it will go, expectations constantly upended because there was only cryptic, playful signifiers to energy rather than specific content (I thought of Dragon’s Inn or a single-set play like Sleuth multiple times in the first half) and even when we’re in the last third the plot keeps us on our toes right with the jaw-dropping exposition. This is a film that is so curious, inspired, intuitive, and alive that it breathes air into spaces I didn’t think were possible. I’m glad this made the final list, but sincerely apologize for the late viewing, for this would surely have placed somewhere near my top ten, and if lists were due tonight it probably would have cracked it. I haven’t been this high-on-film in a long, long time.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2209 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:43 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:39 am
I’m glad this made the final list, but sincerely apologize for the late viewing, for this would surely have placed somewhere near my top ten, and if lists were due tonight it probably would have cracked it. I haven’t been this high-on-film in a long, long time.
This is why I like having the orphan rescue round for the decades lists

therewillbeblus

#2210 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:12 am

Yeah, I would’ve bailed out your Riget too

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2211 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:13 am

I barely survived tabulating once yesterday, a secondary round of voting will never be offered by me. This is one reason swo is a better list runner than me

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2212 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:39 am

Sorry, that wasn't intended as a dig. The way I tabulate results makes it perfectly manageable to do two rounds, though I work with spreadsheets for a living

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2213 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 am

I was being sincere! This confusion would never have happened with Stunned Rex Harrison as my avatar

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2214 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:44 am

WHAT ARE YOU HIDING BEHIND THE SUNGLASSES

colinr0380

#2215 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:34 am

This was my list from back in 2012, which I decided would discount voting for them again this time around:
”colinr0380’s 2012 submission” wrote:1. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
2. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
3. Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
4. Psycho (1960)
5. Alien
6. The Haunting (1960)
7. The Seventh Victim
8. Tetsuo II : Body Hammer
9. The Hitcher (1986)
10. I Walked With A Zombie
11. Don’t Look Now
12. The Wicker Man (1973)
13. Day Of The Dead (1985)
14. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)
15. The Thing (1982)
16. The Fly (1986)
17. Ring (1998)
18. Eyes Without A Face
19. Evil Dead II
20. Kairo/Pulse (2001)
21. Witchfinder General
22. Dead of Night (1945)
23. Candyman
24. Shivers (They Came From Within)
25. The Hunger
26. Short Night Of The Glass Dolls
27. Halloween (1978)
28. The Return of the Living Dead
29. The Birds
30. Island Of Lost Souls
31. Cronos
32. An American Werewolf In London
33. The Innocents
34. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
35. The Brood
36. Carrie (1976)
37. Targets
38. Quatermass And The Pit
39. Black Christmas (1974)
40. Nosferatu, A Symphony of Horror
41. Death Line
42. Les Revenants (They Came Back)
43. The Changeling (1980)
44. Kwaidan (1964)
45. From Beyond
46. Stagefright - Aquarius
47. Cat People (1982)
48. Inferno (1980)
49. Fright Night
50. Wolfen
So my submitted list this time around looked very strange. There are still omissions that I will probably get to if we ever get to do this a third time around (for instance I completely forgot about The Entity and The Blair Witch Project! And have not yet got to The Blackcoat’s Daughter, or Hereditary, or Get Out, or Us, etc, etc. And I went for Ghosts of Mars over Prince of Darkness for some reason!)

Here is the list I submitted this time around. Take it as not tastes changing, but instead as an extra fifty recommendations to add on to the first list, both of films I did not get to mention the first time around and new discoveries.

1. Ring 2
2. Beyond The Black Rainbow
3. All The Colours of the Dark
4. Aliens
5. Psycho II
6. The Vanishing (1988)
7. The Blob (1988)
8. Braindead (Dead Alive)
9. Hannibal (2001)
10. mother!
11. Martyrs
12. Salem’s Lot (1978)
13. Mandy (2018)
14. LifeForce
15. Body Snatchers (1993)
16. Rabid (1976)
17. Paperhouse (Also Ran)
18. The Devil’s Backbone
19. The Gate
20. Inside (aka A l’interieur) (2007)
21. Innocent Blood
22. Saw VI
23. Ring 0: Birthday
24. The Legend of Hell House
25. Fiend Without A Face
26. Aftermath (1998)
27. Nurse Diary: Beast Afternoon
28. Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
29. Howling VI: The Freaks
30. Little Otik
31. One Missed Call (2003)
32. The Tingler
33. Friday The 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter
34. Alien: Covenant
35. Hollow Man (which I cannot wait to compare to the latest Invisible Man film!)
36. The Sorcerors
37. The Flesh-Eaters
38. Dellamore Dellamorte
39. Cat’s Eye
40. From Beyond The Grave
41. And Soon The Darkness (1970)
42. Strip Nude For Your Killer
43. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Also Ran)
44. In the Mouth of Madness (Also Ran)
45. Deep Red (1975)
46. The Howling
47. Audition (Also Ran)
48. Pitch Black
49. Ghosts of Mars
50. Cannibal Holocaust

I’m actually glad to have contributed so many titles to the list that otherwise would not have been mentioned at all!

therewillbeblus

#2216 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:55 pm

Other random horror catch-up viewings:

L'Amant double might be more of a psychological thriller for a chunk of its runtime, but Ozon’s film takes on Cronenberg’s Dead Ringers by inverting a lot of the small and large ideas to make for something less dramatic and more psychologically unraveling as to what is reality. The genius of the film is that we don’t trust our own surrogate, not just because of her reality-testing, but because the narrative itself detaches us from her so we aren’t sure if she even operates from the same confused position as we are in. It’s objective filmmaking to an extreme, binding and unbinding us from characters and scenes with curious investment. It may be manipulative, but Ozon has crafted such a tempered thriller that mild chaos exists in pockets of every exchange and movement, unpredictability becomes a rule that infects everything, and the confident sterile compositions barely mask the crises permeating this madhouse. I’m not sure if the film really works as a whole, but it earns major points for not really caring what I think and sticking to its guns til the bitter end. Also, here’s another French movie with awful therapist(s?) to add to the pile. The film functions so well as intrusive manifestations of the areas of the brain that are hedonistic in connotation and left in the subconscious for a reason, that you can’t help but be amused at the lengths Ozon goes to assault Vacth and us with seemingly all of them! And the body horror, when it comes, is a treat.

All the Colors of the Dark (rewatch): I only remembered that this film existed once I saw it on the final list. Revisiting it only cements how visually exquisite this is in its bold ideas and unhinged insanity. The opening surreal dream sequence alone should make this worth seeing, as well as the ambient nightmarish score that always feels on the verge of triggering a left turn into hell. I still have no idea what, if anything, is revealed in the end which feels like it presents multiple contradictions at once, but I don’t think the film has any interest in making me care in its pure uncompromising technique. There isn't enough substance here to prompt me to even recall it apparently, but the ride is enjoyable.

Lord of Illusions: Mostly fun dystopian adventure, with some sick ideas and a neo-noir framework. Undoubtedly horror, though not the kind I typically gravitate toward for this list- still the world-building is exceptional in its methodology of collecting basically every scary visual idea and scattering them throughout this schematic prison. The film breathes in its spacious scope and yet is undoubtedly a cave with no light in sight; engaging and exciting, yet suffocating in its hopeless trappings. I respected the vision but the ideas lost me towards the end in its cartoonish finale. I know it wasn’t trying to be anything more than what it was, but even Bakula (who is great here) dissolves into a useless tool amidst the exaggerated madness. I have to hand it to Daniel von Bargen, who is perfectly cast here, that he makes a worthy thunderous god-villain.

Fish and Cat: Well this is different! I was pretty taken with this film from the start, as soon as the relay handoffs in narrative begun, suggesting an impartial stance in merit to any particular character which allowed for a looseness that encapsulates all people orbiting around the same sun of time. This seemingly ambiguous direction felt so liberating in assigning a supreme value to all equally, and empowered interest in whoever graced our presence in any given moment. Simultaneously there is the inherent absurdity to life that sucks any notion of being above merciless disappearance, nor are people offered a dramatic termination, reminding me a bit of the Coens’ portrayal of neutrality to life in No Country For Old Men by way of Bela Tarr, whilst providing the fleeting time populated with passion and interest. People are humanized and cast aside, in a juxtaposition that sparks affirmation and humility. I don’t know if I would have placed this on my horror list, but there’s enough to unpack here to reveal some deep terrifying truths about humanity and in the same breath there is so much respect that I can’t help but smile. Apparently the score was intended to emulate that of a B-horror movie but it transcends any I’ve heard, and entranced me every time we were offered a helping along with the flowing expression of time and space engulfing these people in this atmosphere that is both desolate and bursting with flavor.

therewillbeblus

#2217 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:55 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 pm
Also Rans:
37. Night of the Demon - Just a baffling result given the enthusiasm for Indicator's amazing release a couple of years ago...
I had this on my list until the very end and it was hard to take it off, but ultimately the reasons I love the film have less to do with its horror and more with broader magic. It’s still one of the best movies about the problems with skepticism I've seen, especially in how it involves the audience in confronting our own resistances while maintaining the untethered fun of an adventure film, appearing to model itself after Hitchcock’s 50s works.

therewillbeblus

#2218 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:25 pm
Sandberg's channel is here. His most recent short is Shadowed.
What a great short, in many ways better than Lights Out, though I’m biased because Sandberg used the exact ending in my own horror script that’s been sitting on my comp for the better part of a decade

Rayon Vert

#2219 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:00 pm

Three films I had on my to-watch list that I didn’t have time to do before the project deadline. As it happens, the first two of these ended up on knives’ list.

The Tomb of Ligeia (Corman 1964). (rewatch) Like most of the Corman Poe works, if you want to appreciate them you have to get into the spirit of them. In terms of suspense and plot, they aren’t always tops, which is true of this last one, but this final film in the series is also more of what you do get out of them: a certain luxury and baroqueness of production design and camera work, providing a sort of rarefied aesthete’s atmosphere, which sometimes creates a sensual mood and a kind of visual poetry. I’m definitely with knives’ reading on this one in terms of the power of the aesthetic, and how it feels radically different at times from the earlier films in the series, especially with the mainly exterior shots in the first half (and how even inside the abbey’s main hall, whether it’s a studio set or not, it feels like we’re still “outside”). Knives singles out Price’s performance, but I was quite taken with the life Elizabeth Shepherd gives to her role(s).

Fear in the Night (Sangster 1972). (1st viewing) I’m afraid my opinion is more in line with Mr. Sausage’s here. This is another one of Sangster’s mini-Clouzots (or Diaboliques to be more precise), but late in the game and very much a rewrite of Nightmare (1964) especially in some ways, but minus the style and the wonderful black-and-white photography. Not all that suspenseful either and fairly slow to get going.

@knives: I’m curious as to why this one stands out for you?

The Phantom of the Opera (Fisher 1962). (rewatch) I dismissed this the first time around because it’s so tame and contains so little horror, and wasn’t what I expected from Hammer. But even though the phantom scenes are middling at best, I was struck this time at the qualities of the rest of this production. I found myself very engrossed in the rest of the story involving the production of the opera, which takes up the better part of the film, and Hammer’s bigger budget here definitely shows in many ways, in the sets, the music and so on. It’s very appealing visually, and all of the actors here play their parts very well. I was almost sorry the film’s narrative had to go into the phantom business.

knives

#2220 Post by knives » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:33 pm

Embarrassingly, it's because I misremembered the name of Straight on till Morning which is what I mean to vote for. I do like Fear in the Night a lot though.

Rayon Vert

#2221 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:44 pm

OK, makes more sense! They both came out together as a double bill, but yeah Straight On has something special going.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2222 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:14 pm

No wonder the redux of this list fizzled, we should have held it after everyone could watch this

therewillbeblus

#2223 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:17 pm

You had me at Slash

I’m still waiting for him to make a movie about our high school’s infamous Senior Scavenger Hunt, which had died down mostly by my year. It was in production forever, all throughout my time in high school there, but eventually died (for obvious reasons if you look into it)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2224 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:29 am

It's come to my attention that the UK Blu-ray of Triangle has deleted scenes absent from the US version. A search on YouTube will yield an upload of all of them in one video. Nothing worth seeing more than once and all wisely cut, but a curio for fellow fans. As you might expect, most of it is from material before they arrive on the cruiseliner. I think having George
SpoilerShow
responsible for the fucking ship capsizing
was realllllly laying on excess guilt in a film that didn't need more underlining of the theme, and would have been a distraction if kept in

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#2225 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:45 am

I'll agree with you on that, and also wonder about the purpose of suggesting that Sally had romantic feelings for Greg when the film is otherwise entirely free of romantic tension, save the brief mentions of some characters being married to other characters. It's interesting to see that the scenes were all cut in different stages of production, since the one you mention in the spoiler-box has all its VFX done while the one immediately afterwards has lingering greenscreen.