Essential Art House: 50 Years of Janus Films

Discuss releases in the Janus Contemporaries, Eclipse, and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
HerrSchreck

#226 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:44 am

Even me, a cut & dry hetero, knows that you probably like a stiff drink while sticking your pipe inta crack Dave.

Nothing

#227 Post by Nothing » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:06 am

Hmm... it's been 5 years since I saw the film and I remember being disappointed. It is hard to go in-depth, since I currently have no desire to watch the film again - and none of the supporters of the film have given me any reason or argument for why I should do so, either. Not sure what 40s and 50s French cinema has to do with this, btw.

Personally, I cannot help but view this in light of the Red Desert thread in which Mr. Hare was proved categorically wrong by myself, after having accused me of all sorts of bizarre agendas. Fine - "block out" my posts and continue to believe that you're always right.

Nothing

#228 Post by Nothing » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:33 pm

La Bete Humaine and Toni, now those are classics...

Mists of Regret looks kind of interesting anyway, may check that out.

Andre Jurieu

#229 Post by Andre Jurieu » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:35 pm

davidhare wrote:I should of course choose the very wise Andre option and simply block out people like Nothing, or simply choose not to acknowledge their posts ... Perhaps you could offer instruction on this "third path" to handle stupid posts, perhaps the "gently admonishing" form? Or maybe the "studied weariness" pose. No these dont really work for me. I prefer the Andre option.
I'm confused. So what exactly is the "Andre option" now?

I'll be honest. I was kind of puzzled by your response to Nothing as well. I'm not exactly sure what "fair Frenchie pervert movies" or A Prairie Home Companion have to do with Nothing's overly reductive dismissal of Le Jour se lève, or why he has to prove he's an expert in Gabin, Carne, and/or France of the 40s and 50s in order to state his opinion of the film. We aren't requiring everyone who has a positive opinion on Grand Illusion to state their academic qualifications regarding their knowledge of WWI, Renoir, and Erich von Stroheim. Unlike a_film_by, where everyone is comparing their credentials instead of discussing films, we usually just let that kind of posturing go. Could you at least expand upon your own position, because I'm kind of intrigued as to what a A Prairie Home Companion has to do with this situation and where the whole "fair Frenchie pervert" categorization came from?

toiletduck!

#230 Post by toiletduck! » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:41 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:I'm confused. So what exactly is the "Andre option" now?
It would appear to be stirring up shit just as it starts to settle. Good God, man, duck!

-Toilet Dcuk

Andre Jurieu

#231 Post by Andre Jurieu » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:46 pm

toiletduck! wrote:It would appear to be stirring up shit just as it starts to settle. Good God, man, duck!
Don't you mean, "dcuk?"

Yeah, this might not be the best course of action on my part (yet another addition to my long list of ill-advised actions), but I'm kind of interested as to the Altman connection and the "fair Frenchie perverts" thing.

Mr Sausage

#232 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:39 pm

davidhare wrote:You're tacitly endorsing this, by virtue of your light dismissal of Nothing's post as "off the cuff", when in fact the forum has - obviously unenforecable - guidleines about blanket statements including the need to argue your point.
Oh that's nonsense. I called it "off the cuff" because it wasn't even the focus of his post, it was a mere side comment. Since I clearly endorse the reprimand he received from Matt, Toiletduck, ect., I fail to see how I could also be "tacitly endorsing" reductive and generalized comments by saying you were over harsh in your response. Perhaps you're not a fan of dealing with issues according to their context and as the individual event requires. I, on the other hand, am, and will criticize over-reactions as much as I will silly generalizations.

And you're right, the forum does have guidelines about blanket statements (unenforced as it is). But it also has rules about rudeness and insults--both of which are themselves poor substitutes for argument.
davidhare wrote:I prefer the Andre option.
Don't you mean the JaimeChristely option?

Nothing

#233 Post by Nothing » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:00 pm

my memory of Monsieur Lange is sketchier than my memory of Le Jour se Leve, so I'll have to sit that one out for the time being :) fwiw, in perhaps somewhat unadventurous fashion, La Regle du Jeu and Partie de campagne are the Renoirs I find myself returning to time and again.

humhum, which of you is JaimeChristely?

Gregory

#234 Post by Gregory » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:00 pm

Nothing wrote:humhum, which of you is JaimeChristely?
His name is spelled Christley, just for the record, and he was banished a couple of years ago. He was hotheaded but was also probably the only banned member in the forum's history whose comments about film were often worth taking seriously. The others haven't been at all a loss, if memory serves.
Last edited by Gregory on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arsonfilms

#235 Post by arsonfilms » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:29 pm

Just to um... get back on topic, how many people invested in 50 Years, and of those who did, is it worth investing in the book alone? The whole box isn't worthwhile for me because I have a lot of the titles and I'm a bit of an extras hound, but I'm pretty seriously considering the book by itself. Thing is though, even in college I never would have spent $65 on a book, and I was hoping more people would weigh in. How extensive is the information/lavish are the photos? Is it something you'd find yourself going back to repeatedly?

hammock

#236 Post by hammock » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:08 am

arsonfilms wrote:Just to um... get back on topic, how many people invested in 50 Years, and of those who did, is it worth investing in the book alone? The whole box isn't worthwhile for me because I have a lot of the titles and I'm a bit of an extras hound, but I'm pretty seriously considering the book by itself. Thing is though, even in college I never would have spent $65 on a book, and I was hoping more people would weigh in. How extensive is the information/lavish are the photos? Is it something you'd find yourself going back to repeatedly?
I did buy it just to see what it was all about and my intension was to re-sell it with a loss. Problem is I can't let go of it now even though I already own all the movies (except unreleased ones of course) and all 3 Janus Films catalogues that could make it up for the book to some extend. I'm attracted to pretty things (the ones who know my wife can vouch for that) but there is no way this book can be justified if you already own most of the movies - just buy the book. As an investment I would think you will loose money, but then again, I did see people buying a sealed Salo with stickers for $1,000 so why not buy a lovely book with 50 excellent movies for $600? The reason why no one posted anything about the content of the book so far might be that no one got to read it yet. In case someone did read it - reviews please!

jorencain

#237 Post by jorencain » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:27 am

I did. Check the bottom of page 8. The short version: buy the book!

tryavna

#238 Post by tryavna » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:12 pm

arsonfilms wrote:Thing is though, even in college I never would have spent $65 on a book
Did you never take a biology or chemistry course? I remember my bio textbook costing around $75 or so, and that was over 10 years ago.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#239 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:12 pm

my Biology book cost $120 and contained no pictures of Tishiro Mifune.

Mr Sausage

#240 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:31 pm

tryavna wrote:
arsonfilms wrote:Thing is though, even in college I never would have spent $65 on a book
Did you never take a biology or chemistry course? I remember my bio textbook costing around $75 or so, and that was over 10 years ago.
Hell, most anthologies for English survey courses cost around sixty - eighty dollars. No Mifune there, either.

arsonfilms

#241 Post by arsonfilms » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:37 pm

Mr_sausage wrote:
tryavna wrote:
Hell, most anthologies for English survey courses cost around sixty - eighty dollars. No Mifune there, either.
In college I went out of my way to buy everything used, if I bought it at all. There was certainly required reading that would have cost me in excess of $100, but I always made due with an earlier edition that cost me $10. Worked my way through and graduated Summa Cum Laude entirely debt free. I couldn't have done that paying full price.

I suppose what I'm interested in the most is whether 50 Years has reference value, or if's the sort of thing you flip through casually while sitting by the coffee table, waiting for guests to arrive. The decriptions from the website and forum members makes it sound wonderful, but a more in-depth review of the content would be of great use to me, if anyone has the time.

hammock

#242 Post by hammock » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:17 am

OK guys - no more complaining. Deep Discount DVD is having a 20% off campaign that works with this box set making it $475.91 shipped. Here is the information you need and I personally checked it with the code SUPERSALE a minute ago and it worked...

Any one of them should work from 10 - 18 November for a 20% discount.

DVDTALK
USATODAY
NYTIMES
SUPERSALE
DDDCD
DD1110
DVDPRICESEARCH
LATIMES
ESPN
YAHOO
JIM
WGN
XM

and here is a screendump of how the design of all the menus look:

MikeATF

#243 Post by MikeATF » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:20 pm

Ordered the book and a shirt, and I got a FREE Janus mug and button.

WOOHOO!

HerrSchreck

#244 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:57 am

ANyone else find it slightly amusing they palmed these old transfers off for a big ol price, spiffed up with a nifty book-- and then immediately superceded some of those unrealeased film's transfers with twinkling new releases on CC (PANDORA, FIRES...)?

Now we know why they don't announce their schedule very far in advance.

Matt

#245 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:50 am

According to Michael Carver on DVDTalk, the box is now "out of print." I assume this just means that now that Xmas is over, it will only be available through the Janus online store. At least until next Xmas. At that price, it's not exactly the kind of thing retailers want sitting on a shelf waiting to be bought.

toiletduck!

#246 Post by toiletduck! » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:30 am

There's a copy sitting in the Facets Videotheque. I've been known to stop in just to look at it if I'm in the neighborhood.

-Toilet Dcuk

a.khan

#247 Post by a.khan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:22 am

Does anyone know if I can pick up ONLY the book at an online retailer that ships to US post boxes (the CC Store, unfortunately, does not)? Thanks!

kinjitsu

Le Jour se lève

#248 Post by kinjitsu » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:45 pm

DVD Beaver review of Le Jour se lève(from the Essential Art House)
Last edited by kinjitsu on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sherlockjr

#249 Post by sherlockjr » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:03 pm

So when can we expect this?

kinjitsu

#250 Post by kinjitsu » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:19 pm

sherlockjr wrote:So when can we expect this?
1.) CERTAINTIES: [Titles that has been officially indicated under way for DVD issue by Criterion]

LE JOUR SE LÈVE (Marcel Carné, 1939, France) - Although technically released through Criterion's store as part of the "Essential Arthouse: 50 Years of Janus Film" box/book set, this is yet to receive a spine number.