Charlie Chaplin and Criterion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
denti alligator

Re: Charlie Chaplin and Criterion

#226 Post by denti alligator » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:27 am

What makes you think they'll lump those last two together?

bearcuborg

#227 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 am

Just because WB did that, I can’t imagine Criterion would. It would be a great disservice to two great Chaplin films that are often in need of defense/greater exposure.

Glowingwabbit

#228 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:21 am

bearcuborg wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 am
Just because WB did that, I can’t imagine Criterion would. It would be a great disservice to two great Chaplin films that are often in need of defense/greater exposure.
Agreed! A King in New York is great (I'd place it up among with the very best American satires all time) and it definitely deserves its own release. I would hope they would provide plenty of special features to help it gain a greater audience as you said.

I have yet to see A Woman in Paris so I can't speak to that one (do they even have any themes in common?), but I would be shocked if criterion released them as a double.

bearcuborg

#229 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:54 am

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:21 am
bearcuborg wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 am
Agreed! A King in New York is great (I'd place it up among with the very best American satires all time) and it definitely deserves its own release. I would hope they would provide plenty of special features to help it gain a greater audience as you said.

I have yet to see A Woman in Paris so I can't speak to that one (do they even have any themes in common?), but I would be shocked if criterion released them as a double.
Not really, but I have to confess-I’ve only seen half of the movie when I was a teenager. I saw enough to know it was very good, but at the time I realized it was the only major Chaplin film I had yet to see-and as silly as it sounds, I wanted to save it...

For when, I have no idea. It just struck me as sad because there would be no more see. I’ve done that with a few books too.

FlickeringWindow

#230 Post by FlickeringWindow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:56 am

A Woman of Paris and A King in New York were paired on the 1993 Fox laserdisc and 2000 Image DVD in addition to the 2003 Warner/MK2 DVD. However, the films are separate in the editions released by Artificial Eye.

Glowingwabbit

#231 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:39 pm

I don't think previous releases are anything to go by and Criterion rarely does double features and even then there is some relation between the films beyond director (original/remake, original/sequel, different adaptations of the same source material, genre, etc).

Given that A Woman in Paris doesnt star Chaplin I could see it being relegated to a bonus film but that would be shame.

captveg

#232 Post by captveg » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:11 pm

New 4K of A Woman of Paris at the Film Forum in December

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#233 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:03 pm

captveg wrote:New 4K of A Woman of Paris at the Film Forum in December
It's been released on BD in France a few months ago.