Re: 2008 Criterion Forum Awards

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
GringoTex

#1 Post by GringoTex » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:08 am

VOTING CLOSES JAN. 12 AT 10 PM EST.

NOTE: For Release of the Year and Non-CC Release- you can rank 1-5 for 5-4-3-2-1 point scale, or not rank them whereby each film receives 3 points. You may post ballots in this thread or pm them to me.

Categories:

Release of the Year (5 choices) (Eclipse titles eligible)
Best Eclipse Release
Best Reissue
Best Commentary (inlcudes selected scene commentaries and visual essays)
Best Single Supplement (not a commentary)
Best Cover
Best Package Design (including DVD menus)
Best (Re)Discovery (for a film you knew little or nothing about before the Criterion release)
Most Disappointing Release (for releases that Criterion dropped the ball on: bad transfer, poor supplements, etc.)
Forum Member of the Year
Richard Cranium Award
Best Non-Criterion Release (5 Choices)

Eligible Criterion Releases:

415 The Naked Prey
416 Miss Julie
417 This Sporting Life
418 4 by Agnès Varda
421 Pierrot le fou
422 The Last Emperor
423 Walker
424 Mafioso
425 Antonio Gaudí
426 The Ice Storm
427 Death of a Cyclist
428 Blast of Silence
429 The Lovers
430 The Fire Within
431 The Thief of Bagdad
432 Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
433 Patriotism
434 Classe tous risques
435 The Furies
436 Before the Rain
437 Vampyr
438 Mon oncle Antoine
439 Trafic
440 Brand upon the Brain!
441 The Small Back Room
442 Twenty-Four Eyes
443 La ronde
444 Le plaisir
445 The Earrings of Madame de...
446 An Autumn Afternoon
447 Le doulos
448 Le deuxieme souffle
449 Missing
450 Bottle Rocket
451 Fanfan la Tulipe
452 The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
453 Chungking Express
454 Europa
455 White Dog

Eligible Eclipse Releases:

Series 7: Postwar Kurosawa
Series 8: Lubitsch Musicals
Series 9: The Delirious Fictions of William Klein
Series 10: Silent Ozu—Three Family Comedies
Series 11: Larisa Shepitko
Series 12: Aki Kaurismäki's Proletariat Trilogy
Series 13: Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women

Eligible Reissues

Salo
High and Low
Cleo from 5 to 7
Vagabond
Last edited by GringoTex on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 9 times in total.

aox

#2 Post by aox » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:14 am

looking over that list I am realizing what a great year this has been... and I am sure there are movies on that list I won't discover for years to come that will easily trump what I already consider great from this year.

skuhn8

#3 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:27 am

As for reissues, can we include Cleo from 5 to 7 and Vagabond?

Tommaso

#4 Post by Tommaso » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:40 am

Would it be okay to include Eclipse releases in the "Release of the year" category? In my view, they easily eclipsed (darn that pun) most of the regular releases, and just naming ONE Eclipse release as 'best' would be unfair or at least rather distort the overall impression I had of this year's releases. From the scattered comments over the last few months that this wasn't exactly CC's greatest year I have the feeling that I'm not alone with this.

Michael

#5 Post by Michael » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:43 am

Patting on my back. This is the first time I've actually seen every Criterion title released the whole year just in time for the awards. (Many thanks to Netflix).

Matt

#6 Post by Matt » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:45 am

And can we clarify the categories of "Best Surprise" and "Most Disappointing Release"? The former is not meant in the sense of "Wow, who would have thought that Criterion would ever release Chungking Express; what a surprise!" but rather in the sense of "I had never heard anything about Blast of Silence before Criterion announced it; I was surprised by how good it is and how much I liked it." Maybe the category ought to be renamed "Best (Re)Discovery" or something like that. But I don't think this category has been causing as much confusion as the next:

"Most Disappointing Release" is not meant for films you just don't like. It is meant for those films you do like but feel that Criterion dropped the ball on (in terms of transfer, supplements, etc.) For example, the first three "winners" of this award were Diary of a Country Priest, because the release felt rushed and shot on supplements and because the commentary is one of the worst in the collection; Jules and Jim, because of the flipped shot (and probably something else I can't remember); and Koko, because of the poor transfer. Last year's "winner" was Border Radio, but people voted for it because they just didn't like the film (or because they thought they wouldn't like it if they actually watched it). Well, Criterion didn't make the film, but they did put together an undeniably excellent package of supporting materials for it. So give credit where credit is due, but upbraid Criterion if they don't live up to expectations on a release. If you're stumped for a pick this year, might I suggest the trio of Ophuls films: released separately and expensively in shitty packaging with mediocre, window-boxed transfers and with possibly one of the worst "supplements" of all time (PTA intro).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:46 am

I would think "Yes" to Skuhn and Tommaso

I guess normally we'd have Best Boxed Set, but, unless my memory fails me, there was only one, so Varda wins that category undefeated I suppose. I would like again to ask for a separate category for Cover and Packaging, because usually they are not the same title. Just a suggestion.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:49 am

Matt wrote:"Most Disappointing Release" is not meant for films you just don't like. It is meant for those films you do like but feel that Criterion dropped the ball on (in terms of transfer, supplements, etc.) For example, the first three "winners" of this award were Diary of a Country Priest, because the release felt rushed and shot on supplements and because the commentary is one of the worst in the collection; Jules and Jim, because of the flipped shot (and probably something else I can't remember); and Koko, because of the poor transfer. Last year's "winner" was Border Radio, but people voted for it because they just didn't like the film (or because they thought they wouldn't like it if they actually watched it). Well, Criterion didn't make the film, but they did put together an undeniably excellent package of supporting materials for it. So give credit where credit is due, but upbraid Criterion if they don't live up to expectations on a release. If you're stumped for a pick this year, might I suggest the trio of Ophuls films: released separately and expensively in shitty packaging with mediocre, window-boxed transfers and with possibly one of the worst "supplements" of all time (PTA intro).
If the Model Couple doesn't sweep the "Most Disappointing Release" category, expect street riots and mass protests. It's the worst aspect ratio blunder in the history of the label

GringoTex

#9 Post by GringoTex » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:50 am

skuhn8 wrote:As for reissues, can we include Cleo from 5 to 7 and Vagabond?
Done.

Matt

#10 Post by Matt » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:51 am

domino harvey wrote:I would like again to ask for a separate category for Cover and Packaging, because usually they are not the same title.
I think the reason we haven't historically had separate cover and package designs is because a lot of people don't see every Criterion package because they don't buy every Criterion and/or they Netflix most of what they watch. But everyone can see every cover. But I guess if we had separate categories, people could lobby for a favorite packaging job by posting lavish pictures of it all unfolded and naughty.

Michael

#11 Post by Michael » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:53 am

I love Matt's suggestion: Best (Re)Discovery. That makes more sense.

And I also agree with Matt about PT Anderson's intro to Madame de.. It is the worst and most embarrassing supplement. Popping the disc in my player and settling in my couch, I was super excited and set to waltz into Madame de.. but then that idiotic intro slapped me with a majestic WTF.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:54 am

Does the Gorin selected scene commentary on Pierrot le fou count as a commentary track?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:55 am

Matt wrote:
domino harvey wrote:I would like again to ask for a separate category for Cover and Packaging, because usually they are not the same title.
I think the reason we haven't historically had separate cover and package designs is because a lot of people don't see every Criterion package because they don't buy every Criterion and/or they Netflix most of what they watch. But everyone can see every cover. But I guess if we had separate categories, people could lobby for a favorite packaging job by posting lavish pictures of it all unfolded and naughty.
Well, it just seems that there's no way anything but Mishima wins Best Packaging, but I think few would also say it has the Best Cover

GringoTex

#14 Post by GringoTex » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:59 am

domino harvey wrote:Does the Gorin selected scene commentary on Pierrot le fou count as a commentary track?
Should we even separate best supplement from best commentary anymore? For me, commentaries are an outmoded supplement type that we're propping up with a separate category, and things like the Gorin selected scene essay and the Gallagher visual essay are much superior.

GringoTex

#15 Post by GringoTex » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:05 pm

Matt wrote: If you're stumped for a pick this year, might I suggest the trio of Ophuls films: released separately and expensively in shitty packaging with mediocre, window-boxed transfers and with possibly one of the worst "supplements" of all time (PTA intro).
If Criterion had released these in a box set with Lola Montes as I think they had orignally planned, it would be release of the year stuff. Instead, they pissed everybody off.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:09 pm

GringoTex wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Does the Gorin selected scene commentary on Pierrot le fou count as a commentary track?
Should we even separate best supplement from best commentary anymore? For me, commentaries are an outmoded supplement type that we're propping up with a separate category, and things like the Gorin selected scene essay and the Gallagher visual essay are much superior.
Or better yet, combine commentary and visual essay into one category and still leave the best supplement category for great archival specials and other such included bonuses that might get overlooked anyways

skuhn8

#17 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:
GringoTex wrote:
Or better yet, combine commentary and visual essay into one category and still leave the best supplement category for great archival specials and other such included bonuses that might get overlooked anyways
This sounds right.

Tommaso

#18 Post by Tommaso » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Thanks for all the adjustments, Gringo. That was fast!

However:
Matt wrote: "Most Disappointing Release" is not meant for films you just don't like.
Dammit... How can we knock them on their head now for releasing "Fanfan"? :-k

And on the other hand: I'd still love to vote for "La ronde" as one of the best releases this year, despite the source material issues. Would that be okay, or is the 'Best release' category equally reserved for perfect transfers/designs/supplements?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:35 pm

I always view the Five Best as an overall accumulation of the film and its release. If you love it, put it on there.

And a second thanks to GringoTex for instituting the great changes!

HerrSchreck

#20 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:49 pm

..and please let's cut the crap and just give Member of the Year to zedz this time for his marvelous essays. This ill-fitting rhinestone crown thingy keeps falling offa my head anyway. The sash is all covered with cigaret ashes & stuff but I'll send it to the dry cleaners before awards time.

Be interesting to see who wins Cranium, since many of the contenders have faded back into the weeds. Maybe kevyip should have to duel ThomasJ, and then Feng should see if he could stomp the winner.

Tommaso

#21 Post by Tommaso » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:10 pm

There's no way around Kevyip for Cranium in my view, even though he gave us such a handy moniker for our pile of unwatched discs. The two guys who kept repeating posting the unshatterable documented truth on the OAR of "Magnificent Obsession" came close, though (I only abstained from this discussion because I haven't seen the film, but it really was a low point that left me more embarassed than amused while reading it).

Another thing: didn't we have a separate Award list for Non-CC-discs last year which incorporated 10 films and also had categories for best supplements etc.? If it's not too much additional work, it would be useful perhaps this year too, because all the really great things tended to come from other places than CC. I'd love to rave again about that del Toro "Vampyr" commentary, for instance.

GringoTex

#22 Post by GringoTex » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:15 pm

Tommaso wrote: Another thing: didn't we have a separate Award list for Non-CC-discs last year which incorporated 10 films and also had categories for best supplements etc.? If it's not too much additional work, it would be useful perhaps this year too, because all the really great things tended to come from other places than CC. I'd love to rave again about that del Toro "Vampyr" commentary, for instance.
Last year's Non-CC awards were poorly attended, which is why I added a non-CC category here, to reflect the great year other labels had. Obviously someone's free to start a separate non-CC thread.

LesRoches

#23 Post by LesRoches » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:33 pm

Release of the Year
1. La Ronde
2. Earrings of Madame de...
3. Autumn Afternoon
4. Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women
5. Trafic

Best Eclipse Release
Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women

Best Reissue
High and Low

Best Commentary
An Autumn Afternoon: David Bordwell

Best Single Supplement
Madame de...: Tag Gallagher video essay

Best Cover
Le Plaisir

Best Package Design
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

Best Discovery
Twenty-Four Eyes

Most Disappointing Release
Several films in the Silent Ozu, Mizoguchi, and Post-War Kurosawa Eclipse sets deserve to be main line Criterions

Forum Members of the Year
zedz

Best Non-Criterion Release
La Roue (Flicker Alley)
J'Accuse (Flicker Alley)
Ford at Fox silents
Last edited by LesRoches on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bloody Benten

#24 Post by Bloody Benten » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:02 pm

Release of the Year

Patriotism
Chungking Express
Blast of Silence
The Fire Within

Best Eclipse Release

Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women

Best Reissue

High and Low

Best Cover

Vampyr

Best Package Design (including DVD menus)

Mishima: A life in four chapters

Best (Re)Discovery (for a film you knew little or nothing about before the Criterion release)

Blast of Silence

Most Disappointing Release

Chungking Express. Where the extras at?

Best Non-Criterion Release (5 Choices)[/b]

Pieces Special Edition (Grindhouse Releasing)
Last House on the Left 3 disc special edition R2 (Metrodome)
Last edited by Bloody Benten on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aox

#25 Post by aox » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:17 pm

are we allowed to debate, hear explanation, etc... in this thread?
Bloody Benten wrote: Most Disappointing Release (for releases that Criterion dropped the ball on: bad transfer, poor supplements, etc.)
Ice Storm
Last Emperor

I assume that the cropping issues are what will lead to the otherwise wonderful The Last Emperor set being derided, but what was wrong with The Ice Storm dvd?