Criterion and Miramax

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ianungstad

Re: Criterion and Miramax

#176 Post by ianungstad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:20 am

Echo Bridge has a slew of Miramax titles solicited on Amazon. It's mostly all minor genre titles. (most of the films are pretty bad too) The only surprise in the solicits is Jarmusch's Dead Man. Probably the only reason they were interested in the title is because Depp is in it.

knives

#177 Post by knives » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:03 am

They also seem to have all of the Rodriguez films.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#178 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:07 am

Dead Man is practically screaming for a Criterion Blu-ray.

knives

#179 Post by knives » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:10 am

It has to eventually revert back to Jarmusch right? Doesn't have that as a thing with all of his films?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#180 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:24 am

Criterion would like to announce the July release of the 4K plasmoid microdisc edition of Dead Man by Jim Jarmusch

manicsounds

#181 Post by manicsounds » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:43 am

knives wrote:It has to eventually revert back to Jarmusch right? Doesn't have that as a thing with all of his films?
Jarmusch owns all his original negatives of his films. Doesn't mean he has the rights to all of them.

knives

#182 Post by knives » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:49 am

It was to my understanding that he had a clause set up for all of his films that would have the rights go back to him eventually.

HistoryProf

#183 Post by HistoryProf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:23 am

Can anyone tell me anything about the status of Matewan? there was a HORRIFIC Artisan P&S disaster of a disc 10 years ago, and then it was announced as a loaded SE to come out with Secaucus 7, Lianna, Brother, etc...but then it never materialized as the rest of Sayles' films did. it's the only one remaining to be released in any kind of a decent edition, and I don't understand why. They've responded with their usual brand of vagueness when it's suggested on fb, but i'm curious if it's an even remote possibility, and if not, what the hell happened to it?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#184 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:00 am

I don't know of any update, but are you aware of this Canadian edition? I actually just barely picked it up myself. From sampling it, PQ seems decent, and it's in anamorphic widescreen.

EDIT: I see there's also a newer edition at amazon.ca from another company I've never heard of, but I can't vouch for the quality of it.

Jeff

#185 Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:25 am

ianungstad wrote:Echo Bridge has a slew of Miramax titles solicited on Amazon. It's mostly all minor genre titles. (most of the films are pretty bad too) The only surprise in the solicits is Jarmusch's Dead Man. Probably the only reason they were interested in the title is because Depp is in it.
Apparently the Echo Bridge discs are public domain style disasters.

knives

#186 Post by knives » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:32 am

That's god awful and I really hoped they could have just ported the old Disneys. Honestly how can you fuck something so simply so badly?

captveg

#187 Post by captveg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Jeff wrote:
ianungstad wrote:Echo Bridge has a slew of Miramax titles solicited on Amazon. It's mostly all minor genre titles. (most of the films are pretty bad too) The only surprise in the solicits is Jarmusch's Dead Man. Probably the only reason they were interested in the title is because Depp is in it.
Apparently the Echo Bridge discs are public domain style disasters.
Not a good sign - at all - but the Blu-ray discs are not mentioned here, only the DVDs. I can see them taking little care for the DVD compressions but not being as cheap with the Blu-rays. Maybe. We'll see....

CSM126

#188 Post by CSM126 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:27 am

captveg wrote:Not a good sign - at all - but the Blu-ray discs are not mentioned here, only the DVDs. I can see them taking little care for the DVD compressions but not being as cheap with the Blu-rays.
There's more wrong with those images than mere compression artifacts. Unless they went to the untold expense of creating completely separate masters for the BRs (I doubt it), the hi-def releases won't look great either.

captveg

#189 Post by captveg » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:55 pm

My understanding is that any HD masters they receive are straight from Miramax and that Echo Bridge simply does the disc encoding. Of course, historically, Miramax has done some very poor HD masters for their home video releases, and I doubt they're doing any new ones for these Echo Bridge licensed titles.

hearthesilence

#190 Post by hearthesilence » Mon May 23, 2011 5:52 pm

I just borrowed both the 'new' Echo Bridge DVD of "Dead Man" and the two-movie flipper with "Dead Man" and (jfc) "Texas Rangers." Both DVDs have the same mastering, they're most likely clones.

But they're SHITTY transfers. I compared them to the old Miramax DVD, which was never great to begin with. That old DVD had bonuses, was anamorphic, and even without the bonuses would've required a dual-layer disc to hold all the data. This new one is complete shit. LETTERBOX, not anamorphic, and it's got even more compression, enough to fit it on one single layer DVD with plenty of room to spare. And of course there's no bonus features on the new ones. Well, unless you count Texas Rangers.

eerik

Miramax Temp

#191 Post by eerik » Thu May 26, 2011 12:35 pm

If it's Kieslowski's "Red" then is it licensed from Miramax?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Criterion Facebook and Twitter

#192 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Oh man, if they've got the trilogy...

Edit: the original discs already have amazing academic extras, Criterion would prob just port over everything and charge a premium
Last edited by domino harvey on Thu May 26, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peacock

#193 Post by Peacock » Thu May 26, 2011 12:41 pm

...then it means we might finally be able to get the Koker Trilogy.....

matrixschmatrix

#194 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu May 26, 2011 12:48 pm

domino harvey wrote:Oh man, if they've got the trilogy...

Edit: the original discs already have amazing academic extras, Criterion would prob just port over everything and charge a premium
Well, the Chaplin discs had pretty excellent extras, and Criterion went above and beyond on those so far.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#195 Post by cdnchris » Thu May 26, 2011 12:51 pm

domino harvey wrote:Oh man, if they've got the trilogy...

Well, it will at least be on Blu, and there will be comfort in the fact Lionsgate can't fuck it up.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#196 Post by swo17 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:58 pm

I would recognize Irene Jacob from, ahem, any angle. Astounding news!
Peacock wrote:...then it means we might finally be able to get the Koker Trilogy.....
[broken record]And Exotica![/broken record]

eerik

#197 Post by eerik » Thu May 26, 2011 1:11 pm

I suspect that Criterion's Facebook wall will soon be covered with the following words: pulp, fiction, jackie, brown, tarantino :roll:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#198 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Pulp Fiction is coming out via LionsGate next month

onedimension

#199 Post by onedimension » Thu May 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Yeah, the Miramax DVDs of the trilogy were actually pretty good..odd that they'd license these to Criterion..

aox

#200 Post by aox » Thu May 26, 2011 1:32 pm

domino harvey wrote:Pulp Fiction is coming out via LionsGate next month
That still won't stop the 1000s of requests for it on CC's facebook.

IT'S GOT TO BE IN THE COLLECTION