On Five: Criterion Collection Blog

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
criterionsnob

#1 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:53 am

From Criterionco.com:

Who's Blogging Now?
The empty space at the left below has been bothering us, and we've decided it's the perfect place to put our new blog. The first entry is already posted here, but our web designers had some sort of connectivity catastrophe, so it looks like it won't appear on our front page until tomorrow. Watch the empty space for more...

godardslave

#2 Post by godardslave » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:55 am

cool. 8-)

Also, i actually think its work better as a separate page, but it looks like thats just temporary.
Last edited by godardslave on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cinesimilitude

#3 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:58 am

CC Blog wrote:It's not that I want to go back. But I do want to make sure that we don't lose track of the fact that we're a small company doing something we believe in, and that we're lucky enough to have an audience of people who care. That's who this blog is for.
Twice-weekly criterion news for us!? I am so happy =P~

I'm a modest man but I would love an official nod of approval for the dungeon (we really need a *waits with antici--------pation* emoticon).

a.khan

#4 Post by a.khan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:26 am

Wouldn't it be nice if they were to include Criterionforum.org as one of the Links on that blog?

I suspect Becker would lose not only his audience but perhaps also his enthusiasm to post!

P.S. OK, so I'm flattering with my last statement but it'd be nice to see an official nod for this mighty forum someday...

thethirdman

#5 Post by thethirdman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:04 pm

Wow, Jon Mulvaney may be a real person after all. I guess we will find out in subsequent entries.

Cinesimilitude

#6 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:39 pm

they've added a subtitle to the header...

"Unofficial information about THE CRITERION COLLECTION from the people who are officially in charge"

A good thing, or a terrible fuel source for speculation? we'll see.

Ishmael

#7 Post by Ishmael » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:42 pm

I think the fact that they're still trying to palm off Jon Mulvaney as a real person is all the indication we need that this blog isn't going to give us any harder information that the limp newsletter they send out every month.

Matt

#8 Post by Matt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:28 pm

Ishmael wrote:the fact that they're still trying to palm off Jon Mulvaney as a real person
Maybe it's too subtle, but Becker seems to be hinting that Mulvaney will be unmasked eventually.
In the past, we've mostly communicated with our customers through Jon Mulvaney, the company's legendary second-oldest employee. Maybe I'll write more about him another time, but I know that Mulvaney has been a hit-or-miss correspondent over the years.
Anyway, I, for one, support the new era of Criterion Glasnost. Mr. Becker, open this gate! Mr. Becker, tear down this wall!

Cinesimilitude

#9 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:53 pm

Matt wrote:
Ishmael wrote:the fact that they're still trying to palm off Jon Mulvaney as a real person
Maybe it's too subtle, but Becker seems to be hinting that Mulvaney will be unmasked eventually.
In the past, we've mostly communicated with our customers through Jon Mulvaney, the company's legendary second-oldest employee. Maybe I'll write more about him another time, but I know that Mulvaney has been a hit-or-miss correspondent over the years.
Anyway, I, for one, support the new era of Criterion Glasnost. Mr. Becker, open this gate! Mr. Becker, tear down this wall!
I'm John Mulvaney.

Ishmael

#10 Post by Ishmael » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:05 pm

Matt wrote:Maybe it's too subtle, but Becker seems to be hinting that Mulvaney will be unmasked eventually.
Ah, quite a clever interpretation. You may be right. However, this raises the question of why they would abandon such an invaluable customer service creation--he was indeed a legend, as well as a role model for millions of young Americans. Then again, maybe he represents the old Criterion, the one with the pipe, the glasses, and the book tucked under its arm. The new Mulvaney will be Matt Lipson, who will arrive on a skateboard looking curiously like Bart Simpson and talking like one of the guys from Kicking and Screaming.

godardslave

#11 Post by godardslave » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:18 pm

hehe. 8-)

Theodore R. Stockton

#12 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:50 pm

The Mulvaney references also seem to subtly hit at something like "Stop fucking asking questions about what is coming soon and use the costumer service properly instead of a source of hints."

Matt

#13 Post by Matt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:14 pm

Theodore R. Stockton wrote:The Mulvaney references also seem to subtly hit at something like "Stop fucking asking questions about what is coming soon and use the costumer service properly instead of a source of hints."
I bet Criterion's costumer service was really busy this past week.

Max von Mayerling

#14 Post by Max von Mayerling » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:16 pm

=D>

Fletch F. Fletch

#15 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:12 pm

Matt wrote:
He's the black cloud/monster on Lost.

Cobalt60

#16 Post by Cobalt60 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:48 pm

Ishmael wrote:
Matt wrote:Maybe it's too subtle, but Becker seems to be hinting that Mulvaney will be unmasked eventually.
Ah, quite a clever interpretation. You may be right. However, this raises the question of why they would abandon such an invaluable customer service creation--he was indeed a legend, as well as a role model for millions of young Americans. Then again, maybe he represents the old Criterion, the one with the pipe, the glasses, and the book tucked under its arm. The new Mulvaney will be Matt Lipson, who will arrive on a skateboard looking curiously like Bart Simpson and talking like one of the guys from Kicking and Screaming.
I agree that Criterion is wanting to ditch the stuffy old Robert Osborn-esque interpetation or Mulvaney for a more hip myspaceish type image. In fact I have it on good authority that the new Mulvaney will taste a little something like this...

godardslave

#17 Post by godardslave » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:14 pm

that pink surfboard is so much cooler than the new C logo.

tasog37

#18 Post by tasog37 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:41 pm

So, has anybody figured out how to get an RSS feed out of this yet?

Poking around for a url, I found this but haven't had any luck beyond that.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#19 Post by Tribe » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:53 pm

Cobalt60 wrote: In fact I have it on good authority that the new Mulvaney will taste a little something like this...

Theodore R. Stockton

#20 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:07 pm

The only thing worse than being made fun of is asking why you are being made fun of. Matt, I don't get it?

Cinesimilitude

#21 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:16 pm

Theodore R. Stockton wrote:
The only thing worse than being made fun of is asking why you are being made fun of. Matt, I don't get it?
Costumer - a person who makes, sells, or rents costumes, as for theatrical productions.

Customer - a person who purchases goods or services from another.

A simple mistake.

Ste

#22 Post by Ste » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:13 pm

Theodore R. Stockton

#23 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:29 pm

that was actually because I didn't read what spell check had changed it to.

read my location (----

Matt

#24 Post by Matt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:14 pm

tasog37 wrote:So, has anybody figured out how to get an RSS feed out of this yet?

Poking around for a url, I found this but haven't had any luck beyond that.
It seems as if the Blogger (née Blogspot) edition is just a stopgap until the web wizards at Criterion figure out how to host the blog on their own page. I wouldn't bother trying to set up an RSS feed (and Blogger doesn't automatically create them; you'd have to do it yourself through something like FeedBurner).

Jeff

#25 Post by Jeff » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:26 am

Matt wrote:Anyway, I, for one, support the new era of Criterion Glasnost. Mr. Becker, open this gate! Mr. Becker, tear down this wall!
I've chosen to believe that the blog is an answer to my previous call for a little Kriterion Kumbaya (you know Poochie would spell it with a 'K').
Li'l Pete Becker wrote:One gap [Mulvaney's] never been able to fill—we've never let him—is about goings on at Criterion, what's in the future, what our thoughts are. That's what this blog is for.
Translation = This is my opportunity to explain Eclipse to you silly kids at criterionforum.org. From now on, we'll address rumors before they spiral out of control.