Criterion Couture

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cosmic Bus

Re: Criterion Couture

#101 Post by Cosmic Bus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:00 pm

justeleblanc wrote:I'm waiting for them to turn RATT into RIVETTE and POISON into RENOIR
:lol: I enlisted some help for these: Rivette + Renoir

mteller

#102 Post by mteller » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Dreyer/Slayer

FerdinandGriffon

#103 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:22 am

This may be of some interest in the unlikely event that anyone has any spare funds laying around post B+N sale. The UK outfit We Admire has some great, cheap film related T-shirts, not to mention literature and design ones. I picked up the L'eclisse and Dirk Bogarde tees, they also offer Kitano, Cocteau, Keaton, Godard and Solaris, and many others.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#104 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:28 am

Boy I hope you didn't drop too much money. These are almost surely CafePress-type MODs, with the design transferred to plain white tees without the benefit of silk-screening

FerdinandGriffon

#105 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:23 am

Bought two shirts, and was perfectly satisfied with the quality. The printing's not top notch, but they're cheap, and most of the designs are better than anything else on the movie-tee market. I'd much rather have a moderately well printed Antonioni tee than the softest, best-printed faux-retro Star Wars shirt in Urban Outfitters. Beggars can't be choosers.
They also take recommendations for future shirt subjects, if you're just desperate for that Three Crowns of a Sailor tee.

bamwc2

#106 Post by bamwc2 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:18 am

FerdinandGriffon wrote:This may be of some interest in the unlikely event that anyone has any spare funds laying around post B+N sale. The UK outfit We Admire has some great, cheap film related T-shirts, not to mention literature and design ones. I picked up the L'eclisse and Dirk Bogarde tees, they also offer Kitano, Cocteau, Keaton, Godard and Solaris, and many others.
While I do quite like some of their cinema shirts, their choices for philosophers is leaves much to be desired. Oh, and what's up with the Thatcher worship there? Is it meant to be ironic?

accatone

#107 Post by accatone » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:39 am

Personaly i think there is not much more worse (?) than wearing a t shirt with Nietzsche or Godard (or Antonioni etcetera) on it. Its so dull!
(some years ago a friend put a custom silk screen (!) shirt (blue/white/red) together - reciting Le Mepris - and really really good looking and to this day i never brought it over my heart to wear this thing - its so…weird - and as a T Shirt, as JlG would say, so American…;)

FerdinandGriffon

#108 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:08 pm

accatone wrote:Personaly i think there is not much more worse (?) than wearing a t shirt with Nietzsche or Godard (or Antonioni etcetera) on it. Its so dull!
(some years ago a friend put a custom silk screen (!) shirt (blue/white/red) together - reciting Le Mepris - and really really good looking and to this day i never brought it over my heart to wear this thing - its so…weird - and as a T Shirt, as JlG would say, so American…;)
Ok

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#109 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:16 pm

So, on the official Janus Facebook page, they said they're going to start selling official House t-shirts online pretty soon. They look pretty neat.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#110 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:30 pm

I noticed that CC says here and here that women's shirts shrink a full size. It doesn't say this on the men's shirts, though. Has anyone had their men's shirt shrink a size on them? I'd assume they use the same shirt manufacturers, but I'd like to make sure.

Napier

#111 Post by Napier » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:02 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:I noticed that CC says here and here that women's shirts shrink a full size. It doesn't say this on the men's shirts, though. Has anyone had their men's shirt shrink a size on them? I'd assume they use the same shirt manufacturers, but I'd like to make sure.
I have a Criterion and Janus men's Tee. They have not shrunk.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#112 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:40 pm

I used to deal with multiple t-shirt manufacturers. If someone can post the names of the companies found on the tags, I can tell you probably more than you'd want to know about 'em, including shrink-tendency and what (body) type of person the shirts are cut for

Napier

#113 Post by Napier » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:I used to deal with multiple t-shirt manufacturers. If someone can post the names of the companies found on the tags, I can tell you probably more than you'd want to know about 'em, including shrink-tendency and what (body) type of person the shirts are cut for
The Janus tee is made by Standard American. I can't find my Criterion one though. It's lost in the mess. At least it's, Made in U.S.A. What kind of ship are they running?
Last edited by Napier on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#114 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:48 pm

The American Apparel brand?

Napier

#115 Post by Napier » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:50 pm

domino harvey wrote:The American Apparel brand?
Yes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#116 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:56 pm

American Apparel is great and even their cheapest shirt is the most expensive on a distribution level (before printing comes into it). They run smaller than normal shirts and are cut for athletic/thin people, so buy up a size if you're worried. Since they run small anyways, we never factored in shrinking too much but it could be the difference between a slightly looser fit and a good fit. The material's sheerer than most t-shirts, so it will show off the flaws of your torso if you have any

Napier

#117 Post by Napier » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm a thin early 30's and the Janus tee fits exactly like your description! When I wear it to the bar I have to fight women off. No joke. I once had an older woman come up to me and say, "A Janus t-shirt, do you like Janus films? Peter Becker's son is in my class". (She's a schoolteacher).

ianthemovie

#118 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:54 pm

A word to the wise re the Janus Ts: be careful when wearing them with a jacket. I recently wore mine to a dinner party/discussion group with colleagues and, not realizing that the jacket had covered up the J, had someone ask me what "Anus Films" was. Never again!

zedz

#119 Post by zedz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:49 pm

That makes me think of the funniest post-typo quip I ever read on this forum. No idea where to find it so many years after the fact or who deserves the credit for it - might have even been a previous incarnation.

Mesh

#120 Post by Mesh » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:16 am

Jeff wrote:
knives wrote:The Ozu and Tarr are real cool. The Von Trier is a tad too Skynard for me.
Now, you know that's the Van Halen logo, right?

Von Trier/Van Halen
Ozu/Ozzy
Bela Tarr/Black Flag
Herzog/Danzig
Scorsese/Scorpions
Fassbinder/Metallica
De Palma/Def Leppard
Ingmar Bergman/Iron Maiden
Two new ones available now:

Jodorowsky/Judas Priest
Almodovar/Aerosmith

matrixschmatrix

#121 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 am

I've got two of those shirts, the Ozu one and the Herzog. They're pretty great, but nobody has ever gotten the joke on the Ozu one to date. My brother just thought I had a bootleg Ozzy shirt.

Minkin

#122 Post by Minkin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:20 pm

I unknowingly have the Herzog shirt (and surprisingly chose today to wear it)- which was a gift from a sibling who met him. I always assumed the image had some greater reference to Herzog and had never heard of Danzig. So that's why those guys started talking to me about metal bands. I must say, the shirt is rather excellent (fit and quality) and it started a fun conversation with a Getty volunteer about trying to outdrink Herzog.

Perhaps the Bergman shirt explains my experience ordering at B&N