Oh, That Viridiana Cover!

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
hammock

#176 Post by hammock » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:54 am

Namelessnumberheadman wrote:With all these cover art alterations, I'm surprised that the MSRP hasn't gone up on this disc. We are going to break Criterion with all our fickle bickering.
If they paid more than $100 for the new artwork they are crazy! I did save the pink cover and besides the wallpaper in my, guess where, wallpaper section I have also added the pink beauty to my alternative section as well as the first run on the new doll b/w "I would never have noticed you if it wasn't for your pink little sister" cover. Not only do I miss the pink cover I think CC should have run a limited first edition of 3,000 copies with it and then changed it. I wish the forum colours would go pink for a complete day to mourn my loss. Was there ever a poll about this? Someone claimed this as a victory for this forum - but please do not speak for me and I have seen a few other posters in this forum who also enjoyed the pink bastard whom I assume would also like not to be accounted for.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#177 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:55 am

With all due respect -- you're nuts. ;~}

hammock

#178 Post by hammock » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:07 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:With all due respect -- you're nuts. ;~}
Thank you very much - I like you too! ;o)

bunuelian

#179 Post by bunuelian » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:52 am

I think it goes without saying that hammock is very pleased with the new cover. :lol:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#180 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:51 pm

hammock's the voice of reason in these troubled times

Noir of the Night

#181 Post by Noir of the Night » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:07 pm

I sort of prefer the pink version as well. Even though some of you hated it, it at least provoked passionate reactions; it was polarizing, even controversial in a way. This new one, though aesthetically sound, feels almost watered down: it's just a black and white still with a nice font, nothing particularly distinctive in the canon, and completely unprovocative and middle-of-the-road.

toiletduck!

#182 Post by toiletduck! » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:30 pm

Me pooping in your bed would most likely create a passionate response, and might even be controversial. That would hardly make it worthwhile artistically.

So maybe this post wasn't entirely relevant... it's still got a chance at polarizing.

-Toilet Dcuk

tryavna

#183 Post by tryavna » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:54 pm

toiletduck! wrote:Me pooping in your bed would most likely create a passionate response, and might even be controversial. That would hardly make it worthwhile artistically.
But if it were done on stage! Then, it would be artistic because it would be performance art. (Not sure if it would be worthwhile, though.)

justeleblanc

#184 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:20 pm

tryavna wrote:But if it were done on stage! Then, it would be artistic because it would be performance art. (Not sure if it would be worthwhile, though.)
Dude, you don't need a stage for it to be artistic. You just need a happy face.

Theodore R. Stockton

#185 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:07 pm

F' you'se all ( [sic] MacGowan) I really wanted the pink cover. Not that it matters much once I get the disc.

Mr Pixies

#186 Post by Mr Pixies » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:31 pm

Now everyone should complain and e-mail them to change it back.

Jem

#187 Post by Jem » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:14 pm

The new cover is a VAST improvement on the pink cover, end of story!

kekid

#188 Post by kekid » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:21 am

There are over 200 postings on this thread, which makes it the third most popular thread of the section. The cover of Viridiana has aroused more passion than most films or DVDs. Bunuel would have been pleased. By the way, if Criterion people are indeed reading these posts they will wonder if they did the right thing by changing the cover, because there seems to be a divided opinion. Heaven forbid they decide to ignore our opinions in future.

Steven H

#189 Post by Steven H » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:52 am

kekid wrote:By the way, if Criterion people are indeed reading these posts they will wonder if they did the right thing by changing the cover, because there seems to be a divided opinion.
Some are contrary by nature, I believe. This is a very popular thread. Maybe there should be a forum rule that says "you can't post about cover art until you get a couple paragraphs in about the latest Renoir/Kurosawa Criterion DVD". We need quotas.

Napoleon

#190 Post by Napoleon » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:01 am

Most of the dissent over the new cover is coming from a single poster, who, it can be assumed, used to work as an artist, and whose favourite colour is pink.

cgray

#191 Post by cgray » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:32 pm

I'll join in for the pink cover. I'm not quite as impassioned as others appear to be, but I think the untreated screenshots (Wages of Fear, Young Mr. Lincoln, etc., etc.) are getting tiresome. I think using artwork, original or otherwise, creates a much classier cover (Metropolitan, Kind Hearts, Bad Sleep Well are recent examples). I know the pink had a screenshot, too, but--in my opinion--it had supplemental features to make it more of an original cover. I must admit that the one treatment on the new cover--the font from old art--is a great addition. My two cents.

hammock

#192 Post by hammock » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:34 pm

n. w. wrote:Most of the dissent over the new cover is coming from a single poster, who, it can be assumed, used to work as an artist, and whose favorite colour is pink.
If I'm the one you think of here is a few facts:

- I work in legal affairs - mostly agreements and other boring stuff. Never an artist - sorry!
- Pink is a good colour as is any other colour.
- I have nothing against the new cover, but do find it doll compared to the the pink "monster".

I only object against changing covers because some consumers don't like it. It's nice that they listen to us/some of us (if they do), but who decides when there is enough angry posters to change a cover? Does some forums range higher than others (we are not alone)? I think it's about time I write Mulvaney and ask what made them do the change to put an end to these wild speculations. I still would have preferred the limited edition with the original cover released simultaneous with the new cover edition. That cannot possible offend anyone.

criterionsnob

#193 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:36 pm

Oh, how Criterion likes to toy with us. The pink cover is back up on the Coming Soon and DVD Synopsis/Special Features pages, but when you click on it for the full sized version, it's the black and white cover.

hammock

#194 Post by hammock » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:39 pm

criterionsnob wrote:Oh, how Criterion likes to toy with us. The pink cover is back up on the Coming Soon and DVD Synopsis/Special Features pages, but when you click on it for the full sized version, it's the black and white cover.
Try refreshing the windon (F5). I only see the b/w cover in all sections!

bunuelian

#195 Post by bunuelian » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:04 pm

I sincerely doubt Criterion makes any decisions based solely on what people in this forum say.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#196 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:15 pm

I am positive it is thanks to this forum that the cover got changed, no question.

bunuelian

#197 Post by bunuelian » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:47 pm

It's certainly no Throne of Blood.

godardslave

#198 Post by godardslave » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:33 pm

matt wrote:
domino harvey wrote:wow, they took the already pretty bad black and white cover and made it even worse. it's this forum's fault, you know, all the bitching made them second guess.
Didn't you die? I thought you died.
Matt, who is this guy? why is he trolling? why dont you ban him?

hammock

#199 Post by hammock » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:42 pm

I decided to make a little tribute to the new cover. All parts are from Criterion's Bunuel covers, I just mixed them a little different! I'm still waiting for Mulvaney's answer but I guess it takes time to make up a good story!

godardslave

#200 Post by godardslave » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:22 pm

i think its time for a padlock to appear on this thread, dont you moderators?