Criterion's obsession with Suzuki

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cinephrenic

#51 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri May 06, 2005 4:36 pm

The current ones I remember are:
When a Woman Ascends the Stairs
Repast
I wasn't referring to these. Just the ones I remember.

http://www.japansociety.org/events/even ... =168034541

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/ceas/newsl12.html
When a Woman Ascends the Stairs. © Janus Films
Critic's Choice: Susan Sontag on Japanese Film, Part II
<http://info.japansociety.org/site/R?i=N ... ckg..>When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (Onna ga kaidan o noboru toki)
6:30 pm
Wednesday, December 1

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#52 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 06, 2005 11:13 pm

The copyright credits for Janus are almost certainly wrong. If they make an American release, with new English subtitles, they could have a copyright on the new bits (i.e. mainly the subs). I don't see how they could possibly have any copyright interest in either the underlying films -- or in images from those films.

Very strange.

pzman84

#53 Post by pzman84 » Sat May 07, 2005 2:33 am

I don't care so much that they have a lot of Suzuki more that I care that Criterion doesn't have [i]Breathless [/i] or [i]Open City[/i] or any other of a number of films that haven't been released on DVD or have been released improperly. If they can get some more classics on to good DVDs with the transfers and special features they deserve they can release the Michael Bay Box Set for all I care!

Andre Jurieu

#54 Post by Andre Jurieu » Sat May 07, 2005 3:32 pm

Isn't Open City a public domain title?

Cinephrenic

#55 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun May 08, 2005 4:40 am

We haven't had a Rossellini retrospective, have we?

It is sad that there are NO Rossellini films (Paisan, Open City, Voyage to Italy) in the collection. You guys at Criterion seem to remember Germi and Olmi, but forgot our good old Italian master Roberto. Shame on you. This pisses Suzuki off too.

Martha

#56 Post by Martha » Sat May 14, 2005 4:33 pm

Suzuki, not Rossellini here please.

kieslowski_67

#57 Post by kieslowski_67 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:45 pm

Jun-Dai wrote:So we can agree that there are six Suzukis and zero Mizoguchis and Naruses in the collection for one or more of the following reasons:

* They hate us.
* They hate Naruse and Mizoguchi.
* Sex and violence sells better.
* Old (pre-60s) movies are dumb.
* Suzuki sells better.
* Someone there has a fetish for Suzuki.
* They like Naruse and Mizoguchi too much to release them casually.
* The timing of the projects and the people they have to work with just worked out that way.
* The prints/rights issues have delayed the Naruse and Mizuguchi films.
* Suzuki's still making films and they want to be in a good position to make money off of any interest that those films generate (if any of his recent films ever get distributed in the U.S.)
* Suzuki's old and they want to be in a good position to make money when he dies.
* Someone (e.g., Jim Jarmusch, Seijun Suzuki, or the president of Nikkatsu) told them to, and they couldn't say no.

Did I miss any?
Hope that I don't get banned because I don't think that Suzuki is even among the top 10 Japanese directors of all time. Just don't understand this wave of Suzuki craze from Criterion and HVE. BTW, I own the French Mizuguchi boxes and the Spanish Naruse box. They are both fine with quality transfer on the majority of the movies. "Floating clouds" is just about the most beautiful Japanese movie I have ever seen, slightly behind "Tokyo story".
Last edited by kieslowski_67 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godardslave

#58 Post by godardslave » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:03 pm

kieslowski_67 wrote:Hope that I don't get banned because I don't think that Suzuki is even among the top 10 Japanese directors of all time. Just don't understand this wave of Suzuki craze from Criterion and HVE. BTW, I own the French Mizuguchi boxes and the Spanish Naruse box. They are both fine with quality transfer on the majority of the movies. "Floating wind" is just about the most beautiful Japanese movie I have ever seen, slightly behind "Tokyo story".
sorry, i am sure this has already been mentioned somewhere, but i cant find it. do either/both of these boxes have english subtitles?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#59 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:38 pm

godardslave wrote:sorry, i am sure this has already been mentioned somewhere, but i cant find it. do either/both of these boxes have english subtitles?
The French sets have only French subtitles and the Spanish ones have only Spanish subtitles.

kieslowski_67

#60 Post by kieslowski_67 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:39 pm

Godardslave wrote:
sorry, i am sure this has already been mentioned somewhere, but i cant find it. do either/both of these boxes have english subtitles?
No. None of them has English subtitles. Sorry!

BTW, can you tell me how I can use a quote correctly? Thanks.

And it's 'floating clouds' not 'floating wind'. My bad.

Cinephrenic

#61 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:49 pm

:lol:
Last edited by Cinephrenic on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shirobamba

#62 Post by shirobamba » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:17 am

Hope that I don't get banned because I don't think that Suzuki is even among the top 10 Japanese directors of all time.
I second that! The hype that´s goin´ on since the Rotterdam retro a couple of years ago is ridiculous IMHO.
have to ask: What ten (or more) Japanese directors do you think are better?
You asked for it:

Ozu
Mizoguchi
Oshima
Yoshida
Naruse
Imamura
Kobayashi
Ichikawa
Kinoshita
Terayama
Wakamatsu
Kurosawa
Kitano
Oguri
Kore-eda

The list does not represent a ranking, but the director´s that spring into mind immediately.

kieslowski_67

#63 Post by kieslowski_67 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:20 pm

goofbutton wrote:
kieslowski_67 wrote:Hope that I don't get banned because I don't think that Suzuki is even among the top 10 Japanese directors of all time...
I have to ask: What ten (or more) Japanese directors do you think are better?
According to my personal taste:
1) Ozu
2) Mizoguchi
3) Naruse
4) Kurosawa
5) Imamura
6) Oshima
7) Kinoshita
8) Yamada
9) Kei Kumai (his "Shinobugawa" cries for a CC release)
10) Ichikawa (how about "Sasame-yuki", Criterion?)
11) Kitano
12) Kinji Fukasaku ("Kataku no hito", any one?)

I do have to admit that Suzuki's movies offer a nice mix of violence and sex, and that's about it.

Gregory

#64 Post by Gregory » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:54 pm

I do have to admit that Suzuki's movies offer a nice mix of violence and sex, and that's about it.
So many on this forum have expressed this view or some similar that I wonder if it has something to do with the stigma of so-called genre films and the fact that Suzuki's style gradually emerged from a studio generally committed to making predictable, assembly-line movies. If this is the case, hundreds of great films from Hollywood's classic era can be ignored on the same grounds. Speaking personally, even thought I accept that most sex-and-violence films are vapid, I consistently find in Suzuki's best work lots of interesting characterizations, moral and social subtext, humor, and striking visual appeal. It's an idle question whether Suzuki achievements bested Ozu's (et al.); that's not what he was trying to do. Ozu has more personal importance to me, as well, but when talking about who was "better," I think we need to ask whether the same criteria can even be applied.

kieslowski_67

#65 Post by kieslowski_67 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:35 pm

unclehulot wrote:
Annie Mall wrote:

As for the Mizoguchi titles - although they have been released both in France, Spain and the UK, let's not forget that they are yet to come out on DVD in Japan. And if you look at the Beaver's reviews for those titles, it's quite clear that they have not been restored.

Criterion always strives for the best materials and maybe that's why we still haven't seen a single Mizoguchi title with a spine number.

Just my two cents.
SOME of those Mizoguchi's may only exist in rough condition.....there are limited options on a number of the 30s and 40s films. The question as to what "restored" consists of then, is how to maximize what you've got with video restoration tools. I'm not sure I would call this restoration.....I reserve that for working from the closest film sources to the original and as many secondary (i.e. positive print) sources as possible, and that's where I think we have a problem with these films. It's probably the same situation with the earlier films in the Ozu canon. So, they won't look like the "typical" Criterion product. I hope this doesn't stop them, but I'm sure they will cringe when the reviews pour in criticizing the lack of restoration and the "transfer" problems! So, I do hope those spine numbers appear when they have done the most exhaustive search for the best materials, but not AFTER hell freezes over, because I'd love to hold the buggers in my grubby hands before then, please!
I personally think that the Japanese Ozu box set provides better transfer for "Tokyo story" than that of Criterion's. The French release of the Mizoguchi movies feature decent transfers (although not restored), which are very comparable to some of those from CC ('diary of a country priest', etc). If CC releases "Ugestu" with a transfer similar to that from the French release, I think most people on this board will be fine with it.

shirobamba

#66 Post by shirobamba » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:00 pm

I wonder if it has something to do with the stigma of so-called genre films
I believe so. And the numerous assumptions that go hand in hand with it: f.e. that film as art is bound to "real authors", who have to be independent to be free to express themselves, etc. Hence the theory of auteurs from the 60´s, which tried to upvalue a lot of american genre directors like Nick Ray et. al. by stressing the genre bending (originality) of these directors, and diminishing the genre aspect (stereotype) at the same time.
I consistently find in Suzuki's best work lots of interesting characterizations, moral and social subtext, humor, and striking visual appeal
He sure is a very good craftsman, and his films are perfect entertainment, with some striking narrative twists and turns, an interesting elliptical editing technique, and popart-influenced colour experiments. All this makes for his originality. But when he´s evaluated as the big anarchist with political insights, expressed in carefully hidden subtexts, I would say: overinterpretation, myth-building. Social comment wasn´t his concern. The content side of his films is his weakest point. But on the other hand, he had to deal with run of the mill scripts, and was bound to make utterly boring scripts visually interesting, in which he succeeded IMO.
It's an idle question whether Suzuki achievements bested Ozu's (et al.); that's not what he was trying to do
Absolutely! I have the feeling, that one has to protect Suzuki against his fans, who want to make him something, that he never wanted to be, and, perhaps couldn´t be, and he´s the first one to stress this in interview after interview. In sum there´s an over-stressing of the formal aspects of his films.
I think we need to ask whether the same criteria can even be applied.
No, I personally think, that this is unfair. But the starting point of this thread was the overrepresentation of Suzuki by Criterion. And I believe it is not unfair to say, that he´s overrepresented in the context of the Criterion catalogue. The only additional Suzuki film I want to see in the CC would be Zigeunerweisen, because I feel that this film would really open new perspectives on Suzuki.

Gregory

#67 Post by Gregory » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:29 pm

shirobamba wrote:He sure is a very good craftsman, and his films are perfect entertainment, with some striking narrative twists and turns, an interesting elliptical editing technique, and popart-influenced colour experiments.
When you say that in the context of auteurist analysis, are you damning him with faint praise (i.e., a mere craftsman who made mere entertainment)?
But when he´s evaluated as the big anarchist with political insights, expressed in carefully hidden subtexts, I would say: overinterpretation, myth-building. Social comment wasn´t his concern. The content side of his films is his weakest point.
I'm interested in these claims but would need some argument and evidence before I'd find them at all convincing.
But on the other hand, he had to deal with run of the mill scripts, and was bound to make utterly boring scripts visually interesting, in which he succeeded IMO.
You dislike all the scripts, or just most of them? I find that some of them (such as Shindo's Fighting Elegy screenplay) shine brilliantly, while others were likely neither outstanding nor a hindrance to begin with.
But the starting point of this thread was the overrepresentation of Suzuki by Criterion. And I believe it is not unfair to say, that he´s overrepresented in the context of the Criterion catalogue.
But it seems like "overrepresentation" is meant by most people as a function of the director's relative greatness, which introduces the apples-and-oranges problem.

shirobamba

#68 Post by shirobamba » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:29 am

Gregory forgive me, I haven´t too much time to spend, otherwise I would go more into depth. This is from an interview available on "Tokyo Drifter" and "Branded to Kill", and I don´t see, why we should not take this at face value:

"The question is, what do I think of my own films?
That´s a tough one, because the reason I started to work for Nikkatsu Studios was to support myself. (...) Because making movies was my way of making money, I wasn´t a filmmaker with a passion, particularly.
Am I an artist or a craftsman?
I started out as a "program picture" director, and program pictures are strictly entertainment. Therefore the scripts I received from the studio, weren´t artistic to begin with. So, there was no hope of making an artistic film from the script. The only thing, I could hope to do was to make movies fun and entertaining. The critics say films have to have social commentary or a humanitarian point of view, and that is that. But what I was aiming for was, how tomake a movie entertaining. So I tried a lot of different ideas and styles to accomplish that."

Sure an "artistic" film may be entertaining as well. As usual it´s a question of balances and purposes, of how much. And there sure is no objective line that can be drawn.
Personally I´d say, that I dig films more, that leave me with questions, then those which pretend to have the answer(s), with "closed" stories, where I can only lean back and say: that was that. And I´d say: style should have more functions then to enhance the entertainment-value, otherwise it´s design.

feihong

#69 Post by feihong » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:34 pm

This "representation" thing has been going on all year. You know, I don't get much out of Fellini films, but I'm not complaining about their "overrespresentation" in the Criterion Collection.

"But when he´s evaluated as the big anarchist with political insights, expressed in carefully hidden subtexts, I would say: overinterpretation, myth-building. Social comment wasn´t his concern. The content side of his films is his weakest point."

It is certainly true that Suzuki wasn't interested in social content. And while Suzuki claims he was mostly interested in making entertaining films, he was fighting a battle all the while to gain more freedom of expression in his films, which is not something most "mere genre directors" generally care about. If he was only interested in making an entertaining film, why would he push so hard to write his own scripts, to the point of developing a pseudonymn under which he could author his own films?

I suggest that Suzuki's own modesty in contemporary interviews needs to be taken at some remove. And I suggest that even if Suzuki's ambitions where never higher than to make good program pictures (a claim which I feel the presence of more ambitious films like Zigeunerweisen, Mirage Theater, Yumeji, etc., invalidates), I suggest that a filmmaker can find success that is greater than his ambitions. Often Suzuki's achievements in cinema are ignored because his films are seen as inconsequential entertainments. My own feeling is that this misapprehension is the result of the fact that Suzuki's achievements transcend traditional concepts of thematic wholeness within a movie, and that Suzuki's movies are largely free of the restrictions of formally-structured thematic material. Rather, they represent a collected series of thematic motifs and obsessions, delivered across a number of films and cemented through Suzuki's own personal view. The films in a larger sense represent an exploration, a feeling-out of and a deconstruction of social structures from a fundamentally anarchic point of view that is unique to the director. This worldview is assembled from the collected pictures, creating meanings that are richer than the thematic content of any one picture. Very similar to the way Jean-Pierre Melville assembled a group of films that, while in-and-of-themselves entertaining, together represented a larger world-view that is thematically more developed than any one picture.

stroszeck

#70 Post by stroszeck » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:30 pm

So after all the many releases and controvery surrounding Suzuki's work being so catered to by Criterion I finally finished the last title: Tokyo Drifter.

Some thoughts: I have seen lots of different Japanese gangster films, some from 60s, 70s etc. I can honestly say however, that I truly do NOT understand Criterion devoting so much time and energy into facilitating Suzuki films. They are all interesting and each has its unique energy and cinematic appeal, but once again there seems to be MANY MANY more titles that deserve to be released on DVD than these (ultimately) B-pictures. Not really sure why there are so many rabid fans out there, but honestly before Criterion released his stuff, I hadn't ever heard of Suzuki -- and I hang out with cinephiles who are obsessed with all things Japanese. Anyone have any real idea?

Lino

#71 Post by Lino » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:43 am

Tarantino likes Suzuki.

tavernier

#72 Post by tavernier » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:12 pm

Annie Mall wrote:Tarantino likes Suzuki.
Well, that settles it then. :roll:

ByMarkClark.com

#73 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:54 pm

>>Tarantino likes Suzuki.<<

Tarantino wants to BE Suzuki. Crossed with Godard.

Narshty

#74 Post by Narshty » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:07 pm

ByMarkClark.com wrote:Tarantino wants to BE Suzuki.
Because Suzuki made beautifully paced, understated, character-driven dramas like Jackie Brown, didn't he?

feihong

#75 Post by feihong » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:37 am

He made the beautifully-paced, understated masterwork that is ZIGEUNERWEISEN, a film which brings a unique style and point of view to wholly unique subject matter. He recently made the wonderful, imaginative, and funny PRICESS RACCOON. He made TATTOOED LIFE and KANTO WANDERER, which are thoughtful, interesting films--KANTO especially. He made BRANDED TO KILL, which, although it's supposed to be a genre film is very far beyond that. Many directors have been lionized for a much smaller collection of movies and an equally narrow range of scholarly and critical work surrounding them. And if the interview on STORY OF A PROSTITUTE didn't point out a gulf of perception vis-a-vis Suzuki's standing in Japan and in most of the rest of the world, to say nothing of a dichotomy between what Suzuki says about his work and his actual attitudes toward it, I don't know what might convince any of you.

I still don't see any problem. With the Taisho Trilogy hitting r1 in a couple of weeks and the horribly subtitled boots of PRINCESS RACCOON out there maybe about a quarter of Suzuki's filmography is available on DVD. Good. But he still deserves better. I really don't see the point of a thread which is just to grouse about how Suzuki's movies didn't live up to your misdirected expectations. I question Criterion's decision to include things like FISHING WITH JOHN in their collection but I'm not about to dog the movie or the filmmaker with a passle of complaints. In that case it really wouldn't hurt the reputation of FISHING WITH JOHN, and there's no unrevealed work remaining to be released here. But I think that this kind of negative criticism really hurts the chances of Suzuki films being released in the future. It certainly affects his films being placed in festivals and the like. As someone who mounted a Suzuki festival I have some first-hand experience with word of mouth and what it does to a Suzuki film. I think it's funny that someone like Godard is universally respected for his canon, examined backwards and forwards in many different contexts, while Suzuki is denied even a claim to the cultural context of his achievements. They're B-movies, after all (not all of them are that, even). By that same logic we ought to write Sam Fuller out of the cannon and probably then we can move on to Peckinpah. "I watched TOKYO DRIFTER, I didn't like it." Well, I watched JUBILEE and I didn't like that one. I watched THE NIGHT PORTER and I didn't enjoy that one, either. I watched BOB LE FLAMBEUR and didn't enjoy it as much as LE SAMOURAI; I didn't enjoy it as much as I should. But I'm not about to deny Jarman or Melville a significant place in film history because I had an unexciting time with something I didn't really understand. Honestly, what a bunch of crap.