Known Problems and Replacement Discs

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
fdm

Re: Known Problems and Replacement Discs

#126 Post by fdm » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Well... most times I see problems mentioned with The Lady Vanishes it's Sony players...

Roger Ryan

#127 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:23 am

ShellOilJunior wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:27 am
...I've got the same problem with my copy. It gets as far as showing the "C" in the top left but won't advance beyond that to load the menu.

Blu-ray players I've tested it on:

PS3
Sony BDPS3700
Sony UBP-X700
Hmm, The Lady Vanishes loaded and played just fine on my Sony BDP-S3700 last night. The copy I have was from the "Classic Hitchcock" box set Criterion released three years ago.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#128 Post by cdnchris » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 am

I think that would have been a newer pressing. I think the first pressings were the problem. I had to get mine replaced, too.

Yaanu

#129 Post by Yaanu » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:40 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:23 am
ShellOilJunior wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:27 am
...I've got the same problem with my copy. It gets as far as showing the "C" in the top left but won't advance beyond that to load the menu.

Blu-ray players I've tested it on:

PS3
Sony BDPS3700
Sony UBP-X700
Hmm, The Lady Vanishes loaded and played just fine on my Sony BDP-S3700 last night. The copy I have was from the "Classic Hitchcock" box set Criterion released three years ago.
I just checked my first-printing disc on a Sony BDP-S580 and it plays the movie and supplements without error.

Blutarsky

#130 Post by Blutarsky » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:16 pm

I just bought a copy of La Strada from Barnes and Noble with a gift card. I just finished watching it but what really bothered me was that it was in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio but says it is a 1.33:1. Is this a known defect or is this my disc?

RSTooley

#131 Post by RSTooley » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Blutarsky wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:16 pm
I just bought a copy of La Strada from Barnes and Noble with a gift card. I just finished watching it but what really bothered me was that it was in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio but says it is a 1.33:1. Is this a known defect or is this my disc?
Did you watch the film on a newer high-definition television? Did you use a Blu-ray player to watch the film?

Criterion's DVD for La Strada is encoded for 4:3 televisions, opposed to the newer 16:9 televisions.

Depending on the devices you are using, your television is likely stretching the picture out to fill the entire screen. The problem is so annoying that I cannot watch 'standard' format DVDs on my new 2018 LG. One solution is to simply change the aspect ratio of your television to 4:3.

This problem only seems to be consistent with DVDs. I have never had this issue with a Blu-rays.

Blutarsky

#132 Post by Blutarsky » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:11 pm

Yes I do have a brand new Samsung and good god no wonder Anna Karina looked a bit different on my Alphaville disc. Thankfully my BD Player is easy to change aspects so it is all good. Thank you!

Malickite

#133 Post by Malickite » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but I recently came across some subtitle errors and thought I'd share them.

HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR (Blu-ray) @ 0:20.28 - "They move when you're sleep."
THE DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE (Blu-ray) @ 0:01.36 - "That's the star we're waiting for..." [double space between first two words]
ZATOICHI AND THE CHEST OF GOLD (Blu-ray + DVD) @ 1:16.08 - "Then you'll be an magistrate worthy of the name."

Orlac

#134 Post by Orlac » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:49 pm

RSTooley wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:10 pm
Blutarsky wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:16 pm
Did you watch the film on a newer high-definition television? Did you use a Blu-ray player to watch the film?

Criterion's DVD for La Strada is encoded for 4:3 televisions, opposed to the newer 16:9 televisions.

Depending on the devices you are using, your television is likely stretching the picture out to fill the entire screen. The problem is so annoying that I cannot watch 'standard' format DVDs on my new 2018 LG. One solution is to simply change the aspect ratio of your television to 4:3.

This problem only seems to be consistent with DVDs. I have never had this issue with a Blu-rays.
My parent's Toshiba LCD struggles with a few random 4:3 DVDs, cropping them into 16:9 widescreen and losing the picture permanently.

ianthemovie

#135 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:03 am

I'm wondering if there are any known issues with Fanny and Alexander. I watched the first episode of the television version last night--perfect viewing for Christmas--and it froze at two different points. The disc doesn't have so much as a single scratch on it, though it is over ten years old at this point.

therewillbeblus

#136 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:59 am

Not sure, but I had a similar experience with World on the Wire a few years ago despite not being on any lists of potentially defective titles, and Criterion still replaced it for me. Seems this kind of customer service/problems extends beyond the flagged titles, so I’d email Mulvaney anyways

gubbelsj

#137 Post by gubbelsj » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:15 pm

I haven't seen this disc under discussion as a known issue, but last night my blu ray copy of 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐰𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 became stuck at the 45 minute mark and would not advance. A few attempts at advancing from the menu through later chapters resulted in the same issue. Nothing beyond 45 minutes seemed able to be viewed. This was the first time we'd actually tried to watch the blu ray, although it was purchased upon its initial release in 2018. Disc underside looked fine to my non-expert eyes.

Ribs

#138 Post by Ribs » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:19 pm

I’d just flag to Mulvaney and they’ll send another - there are just individual disc manufacturing defects that happen, although they’re 1-in-50,000 or something like that. I assume you tried another player to be sure but I had a similar issue with the first disc of the Varda set and they had no issue replacing it after making sure I had tried cleaning the disc etc.

therewillbeblus

#139 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:08 pm

Yeah as I wrote just above, it’s happened before to me too- they’re good about replacing stuff as long as you say you tried cleaning it first (which I would just write in the initial email itself to avoid a mandatory back and forth Q&A). Usually you just need to email a photo of the disc with the date and your name on it or something, but they’ll tell you

gubbelsj

#140 Post by gubbelsj » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:44 am

Thanks to both for the recommendation.

These individual disc defects are indeed a rare thing - jogging my memory, I'm pretty sure the only Criterion release I've ever purchased that required an exchange was the "Bronze Age" 𝐖𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 blu ray.