Criterion and Netflix and Amazon

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Criterion and Netflix and Amazon

#1 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:28 pm

With Cold War coming and Roma announced I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to the non-traditional studios and their relationship towards Criterion. There has already been a fair amount of discussion already scattered amongst other threads

I hope the mods don't mind
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Ben

Re: Criterion and Netflix and Amazon

#2 Post by Big Ben » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:09 pm

I think it's a good idea myself. Obviously certain directors have more sway than others but I'm pining for a Buster Scruggs and Other Side of the Wind release personally. Not quite sure about Amazon though and I don't want to learn more things about how it operates than I can tolerate.

DRW.mov

#3 Post by DRW.mov » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 pm

I highly expect Criterion to pick up Noah Baumbach’s Netflix output, Meyerowitz and Marriage, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Private Life or Shirkers joined as well. Of course Other Side of the Wind is the obvious choice. As for Amazon, I would KILL for a Neon Demon release but I highly doubt it. But outside of that The Handmaiden’s director’s cut, Stillman’s Love and Friendship, Paterson, I Am Not Your Negro, You Were Never Really Here, and maaaaaaybe Suspiria seem to be plausible.

Ribs

#4 Post by Ribs » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:00 pm

I would rather Criterion not waste their time on any of those Amazon titles that have already received perfectly fine BD releases (in some cases UHD).

Close The Door, Raymond

#5 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:45 am

Criterion possibilities?

(Netflix)
Beasts of No Nation (2015, Fukunaga)
Okja (2017, Bong)
The Meyerwitz Stories (2017, Baumbach)
Mudbound (2017, Rees)
The Other Side of the Wind (2018, Welles)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018, Coens)
Rolling Thunder Revue (2019, Scorsese)
The Irishman (2019, Scorsese)
Marriage Story (2019, Baumbach)

dda1996a

#6 Post by dda1996a » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:23 am

Is hope the answer will be No for at least half of those. I'm down to a Scorsese Documentary box set though

therewillbeblus

#7 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:21 pm

The Other Side of the Wind seems like the obvious candidate that demands hefty supplemental material. I'd love to own a physical copy of The Meyerowitz Stories but seeing this listed only reminds me that Margot at the Wedding still has no blu-ray release.

flyonthewall2983

#8 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Netflix signed a deal with Paramount not that long ago to distribute some of their films, and more recently signed one with Nickelodeon too. I could see something come up where a lot of those titles are distributed by Paramount's home video division, especially perhaps The Irishman, as a sort of amends for what happened when Netflix took over distribution.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#9 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:02 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:21 pm
seeing this listed only reminds me that Margot at the Wedding still has no blu-ray release.
Not sure what anyone has against Nicole Kidman, but the following excellent Kidman performances haven't been released on Blu-ray: Dogville, Birth, Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus, Margot at the Wedding - and if it's your kind of thing (i.e. if you're an early aughts Oscar voter), The Hours

therewillbeblus

#10 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Yeah it’s a head-scratcher, Dogville and Birth are perfect. I'd say that maybe there's a stigma against tall girls preventing exposure, but...

dustybooks

#11 Post by dustybooks » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:57 pm

Maybe a dumb question, but does the shooting method on Dogville preclude or complicate an HD presentation?

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#12 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:03 pm

Probably not, even if the source isn't HD. And Everything Is Going Fine and Hoop Dreams were made from sub-HD video sources, and those got as a good an HD presentation as possible from Criterion.

Close The Door, Raymond

#13 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Netflix tweeted about it being an honor to have Roma added to the Criterion Collection. Is this an "honor" that they hope to continue with other titles?

https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/ ... 5405056001

rapta

#14 Post by rapta » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Close The Door, Raymond wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:45 am
Criterion possibilities?

(Netflix)
Okja (2017, Bong)
The Meyerwitz Stories (2017, Baumbach)
The Other Side of the Wind (2018, Welles)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018, Coens)
Rolling Thunder Revue (2019, Scorsese)
The Irishman (2019, Scorsese)
Marriage Story (2019, Baumbach)
These ones would make the most sense, in my opinion, and particularly the Welles/Scorsese/Baumbach since they've released multiple films by those directors (though that Coen film deserves more exposure, as does any Bong at this point). I'd also back a release of Private Life, as that would be perfectly at home with Criterion, and might also suggest a Soderbergh double-bill of High Flying Bird and The Laundromat (with commentaries, cast interviews etc).

jazzo

#15 Post by jazzo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:38 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:Yeah it’s a head-scratcher, Dogville and Birth are perfect. I'd say that maybe there's a stigma against tall girls preventing exposure, but...
I’ve never understood it, myself, this odd hatred for an actress who is constantly stretching herself and taking great risks. Even in turgid works that I don’t particularly care for or even despise, like The Hours and Big Little Lies, the stories seem to come alive when she’s onscreen.

Some of it must have to with her former association with Tom Cruise, and how the individual feels about him personally.

And not to generalize too much, but there seems to be a underlying resentment towards her, by women in particular, because of some of the body modifications she’s undergone. At least that’s what I’ve gleaned from listening to my wife and her friends when they had too much wine at dinner parties. But Kidman is amazing, and if I press them on how ridiculously catty they sound, they reluctantly admit she’s taking roles that most western actresses would avoid like the plague for fear of damaging their careers.

bugsy_pal

#16 Post by bugsy_pal » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:09 pm

jazzo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:38 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:Yeah it’s a head-scratcher, Dogville and Birth are perfect. I'd say that maybe there's a stigma against tall girls preventing exposure, but...
I’ve never understood it, myself, this odd hatred for an actress who is constantly stretching herself and taking great risks. Even in turgid works that I don’t particularly care for or even despise, like The Hours and Big Little Lies, the stories seem to come alive when she’s onscreen.

Some of it must have to with her former association with Tom Cruise, and how the individual feels about him personally.

And not to generalize too much, but there seems to be a underlying resentment towards her, by women in particular, because of some of the body modifications she’s undergone. At least that’s what I’ve gleaned from listening to my wife and her friends when they had too much wine at dinner parties. But Kidman is amazing, and if I press them on how ridiculously catty they sound, they reluctantly admit she’s taking roles that most western actresses would avoid like the plague for fear of damaging their careers.
As an Aussie, I've always had a soft spot for Kidman. She has done some amazing work. The last thing I saw her in was the second series of Jane Campion's 'Top of the Lake', and she was great in it.

FrauBlucher

#17 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 pm

I'm in agreement about Nicole Kidman. She's been terrific in some outstanding films.

aox

#18 Post by aox » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:26 pm

Today I learned a fair amount of people hate Nicole Kidman. I don’t like everything she has done, but always felt that she’s a great actress.

Luke M

#19 Post by Luke M » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:23 am

OK, but do we really think a so-called lack of Kidman enthusiasm is the hold up for those releases?

therewillbeblus

#20 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:34 am

Only if Scientologists are the Illuminati, so probably

ianungstad

#21 Post by ianungstad » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:10 pm

What notable films does Netflix have for 2020?

I know they have the new Spike Lee, David Fincher and Charlie Kaufman films at least.

flyonthewall2983

#22 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:21 am

I wonder if Netflix and Amazon would allow these (and maybe future) titles to stream on the Channel?

Yaanu

#23 Post by Yaanu » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:56 pm

ianungstad wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:10 pm
What notable films does Netflix have for 2020?

I know they have the new Spike Lee, David Fincher and Charlie Kaufman films at least.
Wikipedia has a list. It's not very detailed as-is, but it has years and that's all that matters.
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:21 am
I wonder if Netflix and Amazon would allow these (and maybe future) titles to stream on the Channel?
Absolutely not.

The Narrator Returns

#25 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:04 pm

Netflix on Twitter confirms not just Marriage Story, but The Irishman, Atlantics, and American Factory.