The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Roger Ryan

Re: The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

#201 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:51 am

dustybooks wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:38 am
RSTooley wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:41 am
Roku users --- have things improved? I'd love to re-subscribe, but my last go around featured a lot of app crashing.
I haven't had any issues in the last month or so. Most recently I played Night of the Hunter and Playtime with no crashes or any other problems.
A recent issue has been that a film or supplement freezes during the final second instead of returning to the menu (necessitating pressing the return button); hardly even qualifies as an inconvenience. Otherwise, everything has been running smoothly.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#202 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:47 am

I don't know if this is Roku-specific, but I've had multiple cases with third-party titles (i.e. not Criterion or Janus) where the captions disappear a few minutes into the movie and nothing I do brings them back. It's happened several times, but the most recent were on Uptight and White Heat.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#203 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 am

Just a reminder for anyone posting issues in here: take a look at the lead post and e-mail your issues to the channel's technical folks. They actually see that stuff! And in my experience, respond to it. So much so that I eventually got an e-mail days later to inform me that my specific report has been fixed within the latest update.

fdm

#204 Post by fdm » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:53 pm

I requested they get some better audio going, but doesn't seem like a priority for them. I can get Dolby DIgital pretty much everywhere else, even Filmstruck had it, but CC just gives you Dolby Surround at best. It's the audio equivalent of reformatted to fit your (4:3) screen. More emails might light a fire.