The Criterion Channel -- Film and Content Discussion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Noiradelic

Re: The Criterion Channel

#126 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:28 pm

Want to watch this, but not on my laptop, so I guess I'll have to wait till April.

jedgeco

#127 Post by jedgeco » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:33 am

Watched Wanda with no problems last night using the VHX app. It looked great, and I was really glad to have the chance to watch it, as it's one of the few Sight & Sound poll films I haven't seen due to its limited availability.

This is also the sort of marginal-interest film that I probably would have bought on Blu-ray last year and now won't (as was To Sleep with Anger), so for the first time, I can really see myself buying a lot fewer CC Blu-rays in the future.

testingwithfire

#128 Post by testingwithfire » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 am

Hi all, new to this topic.

It looks like the initial rollout will be available only for US IP addresses, which ... ?!? I don't quite understand. MUBI is available worldwide.

jedgeco

#129 Post by jedgeco » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 am

Historically, Criterion and Janus have had distribution rights for their catalogs only in the United States, so it's unlikely that they have obtained streaming rights for most of the catalog outside the US.

dda1996a

#130 Post by dda1996a » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:42 am

testingwithfire wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 am
Hi all, new to this topic.

It looks like the initial rollout will be available only for US IP addresses, which ... ?!? I don't quite understand. MUBI is available worldwide.
Mubi shows different films in different countries/regions. You could use an IP blocker to watch movies from different countries though

willoneill

#131 Post by willoneill » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:44 am

The Criterion Channel will also be available in Canada.

jedgeco

#132 Post by jedgeco » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:25 pm

For All Mankind just popped as the movie of the week.

lzx

#133 Post by lzx » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:47 pm

Detour is Movie of the Week #8

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#134 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:48 pm

A movie everyone could already see for free everywhere!

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#135 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:57 pm

I watched it this afternoon though, and it looks pretty darn great.

yoloswegmaster

#136 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:44 am

Criterion Channel Lineup for April: https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... nch-lineup

albucat

#137 Post by albucat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:59 am

Looks fantastic so far. And the list of licencors is also strong: "Sony Pictures, Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM), Lionsgate, IFC Films, Kino Lorber, Cohen Media, Milestone Film and Video, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild, Strand Releasing, Shout Factory, Film Movement, and Grasshopper Films. Additional licensors will be added in the coming months."

yoloswegmaster

#138 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 am

Personally, I'm excited for John Woo's 'Last Hurrah for Chivalry'. I wonder if Criterion is going to be releasing it on blu.

jedgeco

#139 Post by jedgeco » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:22 am

A really solid and thoughtful lineup. One of the "problems" of streaming services is that the number of choices leaves you paralyzed with indecision, so it's good to see that they are thinking about how to give subscribers a through-line to find notable films. I'll also be really happy if they're streaming some of the older CC titles (e.g., The Cranes Are Flying, Great Expectations) in HD.

I did note this: "Films in the permanent streaming library will be continuously available...", which is a clear signal that the Channel will not be permanently streaming every spine numbered physical release.

senseabove

#140 Post by senseabove » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:58 pm

jedgeco wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:22 am
I did note this: "Films in the permanent streaming library will be continuously available...", which is a clear signal that the Channel will not be permanently streaming every spine numbered physical release.
It sounds like that's what it is saying, though, which the full paragraph makes clearer: "Films in the permanent streaming library will be continuously available to all Criterion Channel subscribers at all times, regardless of whether they are being spotlighted in thematic programming. Films licensed specifically for featured thematic programming may be available for shorter periods, but all films will be available for a minimum of ninety days unless otherwise noted."

That is, "movies from our library will be permanently available, whether or not they're highlighted, but movies licensed from other labels will be only temporarily available, usually for at least 90 days."

Luke M

#141 Post by Luke M » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:12 pm

I like that a whole lot better than Filmstruck's policy.

jedgeco

#142 Post by jedgeco » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:09 pm

senseabove wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:58 pm
jedgeco wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:22 am
It sounds like that's what it is saying, though, which the full paragraph makes clearer: "Films in the permanent streaming library will be continuously available to all Criterion Channel subscribers at all times, regardless of whether they are being spotlighted in thematic programming. ....
Perhaps I'm used to over-lawyering press releases, but when they go out of their way to describe a "permanent streaming library," I take that as something slightly different than "every in-print spine number," otherwise they'd have just said that. For example, I wouldn't expect Criterion to have obtained streaming rights to some of it's more prominent Hollywood releases.

Of course, I'll be happy to have been overly suspicious!

Noiradelic

#143 Post by Noiradelic » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:19 pm

jedgeco wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:09 pm
" I take that as something slightly different than "every in-print spine number," otherwise they'd have just said that. For example, I wouldn't expect Criterion to have obtained streaming rights to some of it's more prominent Hollywood releases.
The studios would never license permanent streaming rights to most of Criterion's Hollywood releases, even if CC could afford them, which it can't.

Noiradelic

#144 Post by Noiradelic » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Luke M wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:12 pm
I like that a whole lot better than Filmstruck's policy.
It was the policy of Filmstruck's higher tier (was that called Filmstruck + Criterion Collection Channel?).

criterionsnob

#145 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:32 pm

Was The Elephant Man available on Filmstruck, or is that a new addition? I'm hoping that's the next Lynch to get a Criterion Blu-ray release.

kcota17

#146 Post by kcota17 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:07 pm

It seems like they struck a new streaming deal with Paramount so it could just be apart of that.

flyonthewall2983

#147 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:14 pm

So is that line-up everything or will there be a lot more titles added in to pad out the selections when it officially launches? I notice this whenever HBO or Netflix releases lineups of whatever is on next month, that there's more than advertised.

KJones77

#148 Post by KJones77 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:28 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:14 pm
So is that line-up everything or will there be a lot more titles added in to pad out the selections when it officially launches? I notice this whenever HBO or Netflix releases lineups of whatever is on next month, that there's more than advertised.
These are spotlights in addition to the "permanent catalog of titles".

Minkin

#149 Post by Minkin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:46 am

Two things:

1) I won't be subscribing to the Criterion Channel. There's far too much I'm backlogged with already. I will therefore need everyone's help for finding if anything is added to the service that needs to be placed on the forthcoming list.

2) As Filmstruck was such a mess for me, and I still haven't completely fixed the Forthcoming list because of that.... Please note the following with the Criterion Channel:

I will not add anything to the forthcoming list unless the film opens with a Janus logo.

-I will wait for reports to see how frequently films open with the Criterion logo - to which that might be acceptable proof (only if it shows up with the Criterion logo before the movie, not some "Criterion channel" etc).

-If a movie has "wacky C" branding anywhere, that is not proof of anything. If its on the Criterion Channel as opposed to channel X, that still isn't proof. Even if the film is listed on some "here's what's coming up next month" press release directly from Criterion (as seen above) = nope.

Just Janus (and possibly Criterion) logos before the movie.

Thanks
-Your neighborhood Wrangler

FrauBlucher

#150 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:55 am

Just like OLD COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN had a C in front of it on Filmstrick and everyone that wasn’t aware enough (especially those folks over at the other forum) thought it was a forthcoming bluray release.