Limited Criterion Issue: White Line Fever

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
McNulty

Re: Limited Criterion Issue: White Line Fever

#26 Post by McNulty » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Yup, just started Barcelona and seeing sparkly white lines (really apparent in the first panoramic shot of the city). I don't think this is an issue of TV calibration and maybe an issue with the source? Or another Criterion error.

EDIT: I first noticed this via PS4 and a older hd JVC tv. Tried it again on a different player and TV (dynex + Emerson) and the same white lines were popping off in that first shot after the opening credits.
Last edited by McNulty on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

criterion10

#27 Post by criterion10 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Try the disc on another player, TV, etc. If it plays the same on any variation of hardware, then the problem has to be with the disc.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#28 Post by tenia » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:48 pm

McNulty wrote:Yup, just started Barcelona and seeing sparkly white lines (really apparent in the first panoramic shot of the city). I don't think this is an issue of TV calibration and maybe an issue with the source? Or another Criterion error.
I checked my Barcelona copy on my computer. If the 1st panoramic shot of the city you're refering to is the one straight after the opening credits (about 1 min 40 in), I didn't see no issue whatsoever.

I don't have The In-Laws since I'll be buying the UK version of that but will definitely check it too.

Due to the randomness of that, I'd guess it might be a one-off compatibility issue, but I don't understand what randomness could generate seemingly the same visual issues (white lines and / or grain uptake) on different setups (except, of course, if it's actually down to this one option or one material that you share without knowing it).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:58 pm

The thing with this issue is, if it's effecting you, you'll know it. It's incredibly noticeable

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#30 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Could everyone experiencing this issue please disclose the combination of TV and player that are producing the problem? This could help narrow down what's causing it, if we all put our heads together. (For instance, if two people with the exact same setup get different results, then it has to be a disc issue.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:36 pm

Philips TV, both Sony and LG players

Orlac

#32 Post by Orlac » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:52 am

Howard's End definetly had this issue

cdnchris
Site Admin

#33 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:25 pm

I came back to Howards End not too long ago, and though I didn't really notice it initially, it's certainly a lot noisier than I remembered, pretty bad actually. Oddly never stood out before, though maybe after going through so many much better presentations over the years it stood out more now. But even checking it again now, I still don't detect this "white lightening" thing or whatever it is that others are seeing.

Could it be a perception thing on the part of the viewer if it's not equipment specific? Like, some viewers are more sensitive to something in the image. Quick! What color is the dress?

flyonthewall2983

#34 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:33 pm

I'm seeing it on my copy of The Player. Fortunately not in the feature but oddly the scenes of the feature in the new documentary.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#35 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:46 pm

This is becoming weirder and weirder.

criterion10

#36 Post by criterion10 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:47 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I'm seeing it on my copy of The Player. Fortunately not in the feature but oddly the scenes of the feature in the new documentary.
I'm seeing what I believe is the issue in the same area as you. It looks like a few thin horizontal white strips of noise that pulsate every now and then. It doesn't seem to be as excessive as in Domino's example of The In-Laws, as it doesn't render the clips unwatchable, but it is oddly noticeable (and if it occurred throughout the main feature, it certainly would bother me!).

Weirding Module

#37 Post by Weirding Module » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:50 pm

I have just joined, partially because I have meant to do so for quite a while, but also because of this very topic. I was searching the internet to see if anyone else was noticing this issue, and apparently I am not alone. I have noticed this white flashing on The Player, The Graduate, and The In-Laws. I'm using a Panasonic player and an Insignia 50 inch LCD display. I have played around with settings, but I can still see the flash. I did NOT notice the issue on The American Friend, but I'll give it and some other titles another spin.

Ribs

#38 Post by Ribs » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Is there anyone who's seeing the issue on some titles but not on the others?

The Narrator Returns

#39 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:57 pm

I tried all three of the affected titles on my LG player (watching it on my Sony TV), and the problem immediately showed itself with In-Laws and Room With a View, but it took me three separate tries to see it in action with Barcelona. Due to the small size of my TV, it's not nearly as distracting as it might be for people with flatscreens and the like (I could only see the problem standing right near my TV), but the lines and flashing are definitely there.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#40 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:59 pm

What's the timecode of the issue with the doc on The Player?

The Narrator Returns

#41 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:26 pm

It took me longer than the opening shot to see it in action with The Player (even with my eyes practically on the TV, I can't detect the problem in many scenes where the camera's in motion), but the problem eventually appeared there too. I don't think I see it with The Graduate, but I've been wrong thinking that before, so who knows.

criterion10

#42 Post by criterion10 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:36 pm

swo17 wrote:What's the timecode of the issue with the doc on The Player?
Try around 13 minutes or so, the party scene with the real-life famous actors, directors, etc. The issue doesn't seem to be as noticeable as it was before; I actually tend to see the white lines more excessively while fast forwarding, not nearly as much as it plays in motion.

For the record, I'm using a Samsung TV and a Sony Blu-Ray player. (I also have a Panasonic player that I'll test it on... eventually.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:44 pm

I just checked the Graduate and yep, there it is.

EDIT: So this post previously had a video I took on my iPhone of the issue but Vimeo compressed it to the point of it not being especially worthwhile as evidence

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#44 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:16 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:I tried all three of the affected titles on my LG player (watching it on my Sony TV), and the problem immediately showed itself with In-Laws and Room With a View, but it took me three separate tries to see it in action with Barcelona. Due to the small size of my TV, it's not nearly as distracting as it might be for people with flatscreens and the like (I could only see the problem standing right near my TV), but the lines and flashing are definitely there.
On Room with a View, is it throughout the entire feature or just at certain points?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:18 pm

I believe the issue persists for the duration of the entire feature for the known problem titles

Weirding Module

#46 Post by Weirding Module » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:29 pm

I am testing The In-Laws on another set up, Samsung player with a 31 inch Dynex LCD. It's not as noticeable, but I can still barely see it in the the dinner scene near the beginning (because I am looking hard for the "pulsing"). So, yeah, definitely not as distracting. If i had only watched it on this set up, I don't think I would have noticed the problem. Similar reaction with The Graduate, I see it in a couple of spots because I am straining to find it, on the larger display, though, it is inescapable and totally distracting.

Next up, The Player, and the scene where I first noticed this issue starting at about 26:40 where Tim Robbins is outside the house talking to the woman inside the house. Again, not really seeing the problem that was so pronounced on the other, larger set.

The Narrator Returns

#47 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:38 pm

I've been going through The Graduate, and it finally, obviously (as in I clearly saw it even sitting away from the TV) showed up for me in the scene that graces the cover, starting at about 52:30.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#48 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:54 pm

Can we get people who are friendly coexisters with some of our rival forums to reach out elsewhere about this? More input from as many people as possible will get us closer to an answer (assuming they won't all just say it has to be our collective TV settings and dismiss the issue out of hand, Pro-B fashion)

dwk

#49 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:28 am

If any of you are signed up at the Blu-ray forums, can you tell me if this is what you guys are seeing?

--edit, screw it I stole a pic to repost here for those that aren't members

Weirding Module

#50 Post by Weirding Module » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:33 am

This is purely speculation and "What if...", but it almost reminds me of macrovision copy protector sort of stuff with VHS etc. when your system was not in order.