Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
knives
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3276 Post by knives » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Dare you suggest the director of Bad for Each Other isn't analogous to Fellini?

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3277 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:54 pm

All this new slate proves is that most spine numbers will now rhyme with the films they carry:

1002 Betty Blue
1003 All About Eve
1004 Now, Voyager
1005 Cold War (in Polish of course, 'r's are pronounced as 'v's)

△△△

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3278 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm

What a strange little month. Love the Betty theme. Those folks at Criterion are quite clever. An Amazon Prime title. Whew, that’s huge. Does this open the door or is this a one off.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3279 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:43 pm

They lost their releasing arm from Lionsgate, so I guess if Amazon Prime shepherds anything Criterion would want, I imagine it could. Hard to see something like Beautiful Boy coming though

User avatar
Big Ben
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Great Falls, Montana

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3280 Post by Big Ben » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:46 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm
What a strange little month. Love the Betty theme. Those folks at Criterion are quite clever. An Amazon Prime title. Whew, that’s huge. Does this open the door or is this a one off.
I might be misremembering but MichaelB knows Pawlikowski right? Might he know more?

User avatar
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3281 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:34 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:43 pm
They lost their releasing arm from Lionsgate, so I guess if Amazon Prime shepherds anything Criterion would want, I imagine it could. Hard to see something like Beautiful Boy coming though
From only the films on which they were the sole distibutor, I'd say Leigh's Peterloo, Ai Weiwei's Human Flow, and Ramsay's You Were Never Really Here would be possibilities, though the latter already has a Blu-ray release. If any deal were to include their co-distributions, there are films by Stillman, Solondz, Park, Jarmusch, Farhadi, Haynes, and a few others that could be interesting to Criterion, some without any US physical media releases.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3282 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Oh yes, Wiener-Dog please!

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3283 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Haynes' Wonderstruck blu from Lionsgate is no longer available. This could be another.

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3284 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:01 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:34 pm
Ramsay's You Were Never Really Here would be possibilities, though the latter already has a Blu-ray release
It's completely barebones, though - that seems worth mentioning, especially since Ramsay's already in the collection

User avatar
Minkin
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3285 Post by Minkin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Everybody buckle their seatbelts, because this here Speculation Rodeo's the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness! (Nov, 2019 edition)

1001 The Daytrippers - Complete surprise, not speculated at all!

1002 Betty Blue - June 2019 Newsletter clue (sad Betty Boop) + on Criterion Channel

1003 All About Eve - Complete surprise, not speculated at all!

1004 Now Voyager - Recently confirmed by Lee Kline via podcast

1005 Cold War - Complete surprise, not speculated at all!
=============================================================================
No upgrade this month.

Movielocke said I'll mention it, so I will - a month of all 1st time directors in the collection.

I don't think we've had a month with this many total surprises! Either Criterion is handing out fewer clues, or they decided to surprise us for their November lineup. But I'm impressed by how little we knew ahead of time.
================================
And the coveted All-Around Cowpoke for this month goes too.....

The Bull!

Nobody got more than 1 entry correct this month (due to the surprise nature of it). I will give Kcota17 2nd place for being the only person to guess Now, Voyager (they can pick up their runner-up lariat at the concession stand). But due to the weird month, we get a weird winner - the bull bested all of the cowpokes this month!

And with that, all look out for bears combing their hair on the way out.

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3286 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:39 pm

With Bette Davis being probably the biggest star from the Golden Age not in the Collection till now, who is left? I'll throw Paul Muni out there, the biggest male star from the 30s.

User avatar
soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:32 am

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3287 Post by soundchaser » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Greta Garbo's not in the collection, is she? I think she's a pretty big name from that era.

User avatar
jwd5275
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3288 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:53 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:43 pm
Greta Garbo's not in the collection, is she? I think she's a pretty big name from that era.
They have rights to the Gösta Berling Saga, so hopefully that will be rectified sooner rather than later...

User avatar
DRW.mov
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3289 Post by DRW.mov » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:32 pm

When I first saw the Betty Boop newsletter clue I thought it was Now, Voyager (Bette + tearjerker) until a friend pointed out that Betty Blue made sense. Happy to have them released in the same month and be partially vindicated.
Last edited by DRW.mov on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Feego
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3290 Post by Feego » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:34 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:39 pm
With Bette Davis being probably the biggest star from the Golden Age not in the Collection till now, who is left? I'll throw Paul Muni out there, the biggest male star from the 30s.
Judy Garland, Elizabeth Taylor, James Cagney, Mae West, Shirley Temple, the Marx Bros., and William Holden have not been part of the collection in the DVD/Blu era (to my knowledge). I can think of at least one film for each that Criterion might find desirable, but rights and whatnot are another matter.

User avatar
movielocke
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3291 Post by movielocke » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:20 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:With Bette Davis being probably the biggest star from the Golden Age not in the Collection till now, who is left? I'll throw Paul Muni out there, the biggest male star from the 30s.
Errol Flynn and the Marx brothers both had laserdiscs and seem very likely for those titles to be ported soon to criterion

Calvin
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:12 am

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3292 Post by Calvin » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:39 am

I do wonder if next month will bring an announcement that Cold War is also getting a 4K UHD release. It's as good of a candidate as Roma, and is available on 4K UHD on Amazon Prime.

User avatar
Morbii
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:38 am

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3293 Post by Morbii » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:58 am

DRW.mov wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:32 pm
When I first saw the Betty Boop newsletter clue I thought it was Now, Voyager (Bette + tearjerker) until a friend pointed out that Betty Blue made sense. Happy to have them released in the same month and be partially vindicated.
Double clue, confirmed.

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3294 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 am

movielocke wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:With Bette Davis being probably the biggest star from the Golden Age not in the Collection till now, who is left? I'll throw Paul Muni out there, the biggest male star from the 30s.
Errol Flynn and the Marx brothers both had laserdiscs and seem very likely for those titles to be ported soon to criterion
A Night at the Opera is a strong candidate for CC to re-release from the laserdisc days. The fact that WB haven’t released them themselves is surprising. I remember back in the day when Criterion somewhat answered questions on facebook, I asked about Duck Soup and they’re emphatic response was, “WE WISH!”


User avatar
Randall Maysin
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3295 Post by Randall Maysin » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:02 am

Sylvia Sidney?

User avatar
HitchcockLang
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3296 Post by HitchcockLang » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:04 pm

Randall Maysin wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:02 am
Sylvia Sidney?
Who hopefully won't be excluded too much longer once they finally put Hitchcock's Sabotage on physical media (it's been available digitally with Criterion branding for years so if that counts then Sidney is already in the collection).

bad future
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3297 Post by bad future » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:24 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:34 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:43 pm
They lost their releasing arm from Lionsgate, so I guess if Amazon Prime shepherds anything Criterion would want, I imagine it could. Hard to see something like Beautiful Boy coming though
From only the films on which they were the sole distibutor, I'd say Leigh's Peterloo, Ai Weiwei's Human Flow, and Ramsay's You Were Never Really Here would be possibilities, though the latter already has a Blu-ray release. If any deal were to include their co-distributions, there are films by Stillman, Solondz, Park, Jarmusch, Farhadi, Haynes, and a few others that could be interesting to Criterion, some without any US physical media releases.
The Handmaiden was co-distributed by Magnolia, but it only has a barebones blu ray release from Amazon with no features, while releases in other regions have features + an extended cut never released in the US. Does Criterion have any kind of relationship with Magnolia? (Sorry — I couldn’t find anything via google and don’t know if there’s any kind of list somewhere.)

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3298 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:32 pm

They don't, or they surely would've released a few of their films (Melancholia, for one)

yoloswegmaster
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3299 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:37 pm

Still waiting for Magnolia to release a blu for Shoplifters in NA.

yoloswegmaster
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3300 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:53 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:37 pm
Still waiting for Magnolia to release a blu for Shoplifters in NA.
Nevermind, just found out that Magnolia has no plans to release it on blu in NA. Kind of a wtf moment.

Post Reply