News on Criterion and Janus Films.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Criterion and Buena Vista

#126 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:30 pm

Quote Perf Unquote wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:23 pm
I assume Swo's initial Star Wars comment was largely facetious
Not entirely but I'm out on a pretty long limb assuming that Criterion is suddenly going to become Disney's outlet for respectable scholarly editions of potentially anything they own just because they announced one Pixar film

movielocke

#127 Post by movielocke » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:42 pm

I imagine there are both film elements reasons, and contractual reasons why disney hasn't made the original editions available. Obviously they'd have to budget the restorations, but that's not really an issue for star wars. and they obviously have elements for everything and access to everything, because the boba fett animated extract from Star Wars Holiday Special is on Disney+ in a new transfer.

But it's probably not just Lucas, the whole regime of Star Wars executives, from Kennedy on down poured blood sweat and tears and their hearts into the special editions for a couple years in the 90s, and they're still probably proud of their work and probably still irritated that people are still complaining about them. We're probably about twenty-five years away from them being released, as it'll take retirements and estate negotiations before anything can happen.

FlickeringWindow

#128 Post by FlickeringWindow » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:48 pm

There's extensive notes on the restoration of A New Hope in ILM: Into the Digital Realm. Camera negative was very worn, had about 15% color fade, all the CRI opticals were heavily faded, lots of dirt and scratches. They ultimately had to use newly recomposited opticals for many shots (done on film!) using the VistaVision elements, with smaller percentages taken from the 1985 35mm interpositive meant for video transfer, and a few shots were from color separations (one notable one is C3P0 hiding after R2D2 goes missing - note how contrasty the shot looks before it cuts away). There really shouldn't be any issues reconstructing the original versions since they would just have to mix and match the scans of the reconformed camera negative to the interpositive and color separations again. Nothing unusual and nothing cost prohibitive.

MV88

#129 Post by MV88 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:57 pm

Just a thought, but now that WALL-E has surprisingly been added to the Collection, is it possible that Kyle MacLachlan’s recent visit to the office that we all assumed was for an upcoming Lynch release (whether Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet) was actually related to an upcoming release of Inside Out?

flyonthewall2983

#130 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:37 pm

Light & Magic would be perfect for a Criterion release.

Wonder if this means Get Back could be on the table now too?

yoloswegmaster

#131 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:33 pm

Andrew Stanton confirmed that the WALL-E release only happened because he reached out to Criterion first and that there is no partnership between Disney and Criterion:
When asked if the “WALL-E” deal was part of a larger partnership between Disney and Criterion, Stanton made it very clear that this was a one-off project driven purely by his passion for the Criterion Collection.

“Not at all,” he said. “It was filmmaker-driven. If it’s anything, it was driven by my own filmmaker ego of wanting to be in the club.”

FrauBlucher

#132 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:40 pm

That's too bad

cdnchris
Site Admin

#133 Post by cdnchris » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:50 pm

Going through the features he was clearly very much behind this release and the new stuff is targeted more towards cinephiles, so this isn't too much of a surprise.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#134 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:56 pm

Aronofsky’s face when he realizes Criterion just hates him

dwk

#135 Post by dwk » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:13 pm

Ha.
On the other hand, Janus did like his tweet teasing the 25th anniversary of PI next year. I believe has has the rights back, and I think that movie is something they might be interested in.

ryannichols7

#136 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:57 pm

I don't know how much stock anyone should take in what Stanton said though. there was similar speculation that Badlands was a one off with Warner at Terrence Malick's insistence, flashforward 9 years and you have George Feltenstein calling Criterion "part of the family". Criterion already had an established relationship with both Disney and Fox, and the new Wall-E disc has Disney's logo (and not one of their subsidiaries) on the back for what I believe is a boutique Bluray label first. and who's to say Brad Bird or Lee Unkrich wouldn't have a similar "filmmaker ego" moment? the door is clearly open between Criterion and Disney, and there's no way their boy David Lynch won't move on to The Straight Story in the near future, let alone other possibilities (Dead Presidents being another common request that I see happening). considering Lionsgate is now licensing out titles, legitimately nothing feels like it's off limits at this point

this was reported by David Ehrlich anyway...

guyetgenevieve

#137 Post by guyetgenevieve » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:32 pm

The way I read it, Disney would be fine with licensing at Director insistence/involvement. However, it feels like they probably will still hold on to films like Fantasia that would potentially fit in the collection. I would love to be wrong!

FrauBlucher

#138 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:24 pm

The way I see it is folks expected the floodgates to open after Wall-E was announced. Stanton’s tweet suggest that there is no floodgates, but it’s not to suggest there can’t be more one off deals. I don’t think there is a correlation between WB and Disney. There is no Feltenstein with Disney. And WB management has changed through the years.

But I do think there will be select Fox titles Disney will let Criterion have

yoloswegmaster

#139 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:04 pm

I would also certainly hold Andrew Stanton's words to a high degree, especially since he works high up at the company and is clearly in the know about these types of things.

Kracker

#140 Post by Kracker » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:46 pm

doesn't mean that WALL-E will be the only Pixar title if all it took was one of the directors reaching out to Criterion. On the contrary, it shows its only a matter of director approval for other Pixar films to follow. And there's nothing saying that there isn't a growing relationship with the Disney as a result of working with them on this first release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#141 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:48 pm

Don’t assume Criterion is aching to release more Pixar based on absolutely nothing more than that they made a special one time deal that we’ve just been told by the primary stakeholder was a one time deal

ryannichols7

#142 Post by ryannichols7 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:16 am

I don't understand why we're acting like this is a one time deal when

Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Straw Dogs
Rebecca
Notorious
plus countless Fox titles

are all still in print

therewillbeblus

#143 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:47 am

Unless I'm missing something obvious.. because those were all acquisitions pre-merger, sans Fox titles Criterion already had the rights to release and capitalized on doing so before they lapsed?

pianocrash

#144 Post by pianocrash » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:43 am

And it probably goes without saying, but Wes Anderson has had a direct line to the collection since he began to make films, much akin to Stanton's direct interest for WALL-E.

And though I'd love to see Straw Dogs on Disney+ in some sort of PG super-edit (Instagram filters have come a long way), you can't always get what you want (and all I really want is Ruthless People).