Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.3

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Dona Santa

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#2851 Post by Dona Santa » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:49 am

Any info on if any other Home Vision Entertainment releases will be making their way into the mainline? I would kill to see Blackmail is my Life, Cure and All about Lily Chou Chou given the treatment

jedgeco

#2852 Post by jedgeco » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:31 pm

vsski wrote:While I'm not sure what 2012 will bring in terms of upgrades, I wouldn't be surprised if it's less.
I would be shocked if it were less than 1-2 a month. With 600-ish titles, Criterion is now a pretty mature product line and has released the vast majority of the "cannon" titles that it has access to. Reissuing a undisputed classic that is a proven seller (e.g., Wild Strawberries, Rashomon) is almost guaranteed to be more profitable than a new title, given that most new titles are usually going to be films that are some margin less popular.

vsski

#2853 Post by vsski » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:37 pm

jedgeco wrote:I would be shocked if it were less than 1-2 a month.
While you are probably correct with your assumption, at least on the lower end of your range, so far the upgrade rate seems half of that of 2011. In 2011 if I counted correctly Criterion upgraded 24 of its existing titles (not counting those when it was a complete new BR/DVD edition), which is on average 2 per month. For the first three months of 2012 only 3 such upgrades have been announced, 1 per month. So unless they announce a lot more upgrades in the rest of the year, it will be less.

At the same time I fully expect them to upgrade some of their core titles like the Ozus, Kurosawas, Truffauts and Bergmans, the only question is how long will it take them to do so.

movielocke

#2854 Post by movielocke » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:17 pm

the lack of upgrades so far on the 2012 schedule is the most disturbing trend of the year to me. All new editions are good, but we need at least two a month in upgrades (without having to redo the entire release). I'd happily sacrifice half of the new releases for more bluray upgrades of canonical catalog titles.

zedz

#2855 Post by zedz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:47 pm

movielocke wrote: I'd happily sacrifice half of the new releases for more bluray upgrades of canonical catalog titles.
What a terrifying prospect.

jwd5275

#2856 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 am

jedgeco wrote:With 600-ish titles, Criterion is now a pretty mature product line and has released the vast majority of the "cannon" titles that it has access to.
I seriously question this. For example last year we got the Chabrols which have never had a R1 release and we got the long out of print Vigo (which is as canonical as it gets).

Cinephrenic

#2857 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:21 am

They just can't handle the load guys. Strictly economics. Even the major studios can't even handle their classics catalogs in a timely manner on Blu. Look at Universal.

Perkins Cobb

#2858 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:55 am

zedz wrote:
movielocke wrote: I'd happily sacrifice half of the new releases for more bluray upgrades of canonical catalog titles.
What a terrifying prospect.
Seriously. Where'd we get this guy?! Despite my initial skepticism, I've actually been pretty happy with the balance Criterion has struck. Although if I got a vote and if it were economically feasible, I'd call for no further Blu upgrades until Criterion was done releasing, well, let's say every French, Italian, and Japanese film made before 1980. For starters.
jedgeco wrote:With 600-ish titles, Criterion is now a pretty mature product line and has released the vast majority of the "cannon" titles that it has access to.

Well, there's still Delta Force, Bolero, Breakin', Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, Alien From L.A., Cyborg, Masters of the Universe, Ninja III: The Domination, and of course that Chuck Norris Eclipse set.
Last edited by Perkins Cobb on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Dukenfield

#2859 Post by Thomas Dukenfield » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:40 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:

Well, there's still Delta Force, Bolero, Breakin', Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, Alien From L.A., Cyborg, Masters of the Universe, Ninja III: The Domination, and of course that Chuck Norris Eclipse set.
I sure hope Criterion is gonna release their cannonical titles. I'd sell my own blood for Blus of Alien from LA and Ninja III and Breakin 2. Then again, I have a lot of blood.

jwd5275

#2860 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:32 am

Perkins Cobb wrote: and of course that Chuck Norris Eclipse set.
Nooooo! They can't relegate Chuck Norris to Eclipse, I need Missing in Action and Invasion USA in a mainline boxset.

Perkins Cobb

#2861 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:06 pm

We larf, but Love Streams is also a Cannonical title.

cinemartin

#2862 Post by cinemartin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:18 pm

As is King Lear.

Murdoch

#2863 Post by Murdoch » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:24 pm

I hate to do this but it's really bugging me - "canonical" is a word, "cannonical" is not.

jwd5275

#2864 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:32 pm

Murdoch wrote:I hate to do this but it's really bugging me - "canonical" is a word, "cannonical" is not.
That is exactly why we moved from a discussion of film 'canon' on to Criterion having access to the Cannon film catalogue...

zedz

#2865 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:46 pm

cinemartin wrote:As is King Lear.
And Ruiz's Treasure Island! Okay, settled, let's have a Cannon box set. 'Misguided Grabs for Prestige' sounds like a good title to me.

Perkins Cobb

#2866 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:10 pm

zedz wrote:And Ruiz's Treasure Island! Okay, settled, let's have a Cannon box set. 'Misguided Grabs for Prestige' sounds like a good title to me.
The Cannon Canon, of course.

ianungstad

#2867 Post by ianungstad » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:49 am

I hope Disney licensing Criterion the rights to Rushmore is an indication that we'll see some new spine numbers out of that catalog as well. I noticed on Amazon that High Fidelity is completely out of print in region 1. It would make for a great Criterion release.

SamLowry

#2868 Post by SamLowry » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:50 am

let's have a Cannon box set
Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice
Heaven Can Wait
Revenge Of The Pink Panther
Deathtrap
The Last Of Sheila
8 Heads In A Dufflebag

Unless you mean Dyan Cannon's directorial efforts, both of which could fit on one disc.

Professor Wagstaff

#2869 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:21 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:The Cannon Canon, of course.
Lincoln Center beat you to the punch.

Thomas Dukenfield

#2870 Post by Thomas Dukenfield » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:31 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:
zedz wrote:And Ruiz's Treasure Island! Okay, settled, let's have a Cannon box set. 'Misguided Grabs for Prestige' sounds like a good title to me.
The Cannon Canon, of course.
Don't forget that Polanski's Pirates was distributed by Cannon. I'll let you put the pieces together on that one.

Perkins Cobb

#2871 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:09 am

Professor Wagstaff wrote:
Perkins Cobb wrote:The Cannon Canon, of course.
Lincoln Center beat you to the punch.
And I saw Shy People in that series -- I knew that gag was too good to be my own!

duck duck

#2872 Post by duck duck » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:38 pm

I think that some re-releases are justified because of either being early and not meant to be watched on a 50" TV, or because they are non-anamorphic. The only thing that pisses me off at Criterion disc is when I play them and the actual film only takes up 1/6 of my TV. I'm even willing to buy a Blu of Armageddon (Steve Buschimi rocks) just to have the director's cut in anamorphic, unless if the only difference is that horrid animal crackers scene, that should never have existed.

flyonthewall2983

#2873 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:24 am

What Cannon titles would be seriously considered for the CC? Barfly?

Oedipax

#2874 Post by Oedipax » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:36 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:What Cannon titles would be seriously considered for the CC? Barfly?
King Lear, one would hope.

beamish13

#2875 Post by beamish13 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:10 am

I think these two Cannon titles would be excellent additions to the Criterion catalog.