Hey, everybody! The Third Man is out of print.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ShellOilJunior

Re: Hey, everybody! The Third Man is out of print.

#126 Post by ShellOilJunior » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Those were mostly likely returned copies.

Fiery Angel

#127 Post by Fiery Angel » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:55 pm

aox wrote:haha I knew someone would see that. My girlfriend and I are (playfully) arguing about this whole debacle. She thinks this whole thing is ridiculous.. in a sort of dare, I am trying to prove her wrong. I know damn well no one will purchase it.
I am sure my copy will be under my bed for a few years and will sell realistically much much less.
Uh oh - "High Five Cinema" has undercut your price by more than half.

Murdoch

#128 Post by Murdoch » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:30 pm

:-"

Rick

#129 Post by Rick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:54 pm

It was, when I typed that post! A while later it said it was going to be in stock on november 9. Fifteen minutes after that gone! I was NOT referring to the sellers at the marketplace. In all, it was again unavailable around half an hour later after I placed my order! (I kept checking out just to see how long it would last, heheh).

I read on october 27 that it was going OOP but I didn't order immediately, the next morning it was gone. Since then I put that page as my browsers starting page mainly to remember and so that I would see it in case it appeared again in stock. It certainly paid off cause it seems it was a available for just a little while this morning.

aox

#130 Post by aox » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Fiery Angel wrote:Uh oh - "High Five Cinema" has undercut your price by more than half.
those bastards.

Napier

#131 Post by Napier » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:47 pm

My "lost" parcel finally arrived today. In a nearly destroyed envelope. Thankfully it was one of the newer cases and didn't get destroyed. I ordered two copies but only received one. I was credited for the other one though.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#132 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:41 am

In anticipation of that B&N CC sale, I ordered SD and BD copies of Third Man (SD for a friend and BD for me) amongst a few other titles and the clerk said that they'd be able to get it for me. I don't know what the stock numbers are, but it seems that B&N still has enough copies left.

Nocturnaloner

#133 Post by Nocturnaloner » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:50 am

I probably wouldn't have known it was out of print without the Digital Bits headline. I ordered it from an ebay seller (NOT aox :twisted: ). Wish me luck.

srh1son

#134 Post by srh1son » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Is the Barnes and Noble CC sale the one from the summer? Or is there one coming up? Are the savings pretty good? It always seems like Criterions are available at list price when I'm browsing in person. I'm trying to monitor the B&N website to make sure.

Also, a related question about OOP Criterions: Is there a definitive list of what's OOP? I picked up that "Ran" was OOP even though copies are still available, and was able to buy one. Are there other Criterions like that? I might have to go shopping for some titles before their stocks are depleted.

Thanks for any information. Long time reader, first time poster.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#135 Post by cdnchris » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:03 pm

I made a list of out-of-print titles on this site: http://www.criterionforum.org/listing.p ... &alpha=oop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. But keep in mind this list also includes original editions of titles that were eventually reissued (Seven Samurai, High and Low, Salo, etc.)

Jeff

#136 Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:10 pm

srh1son wrote:Is the Barnes and Noble CC sale the one from the summer? Or is there one coming up?
The two-week sale starts tomorrow (11/10/09) and is 50% off list price on all Criterion product. You can discuss and find out more about it in the Barnes and Noble thread.
srh1son wrote:Also, a related question about OOP Criterions: Is there a definitive list of what's OOP?
Criterion's site no longer has a section listing all OOP titles. You can look at the notes section of this Wikipedia page though. If you sort by notes, you can easily see them all. Obviously, titles that went out of print recently and had large print runs (like Ran) are easier to find.

Highway 61

#137 Post by Highway 61 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:09 pm

cdnchris wrote:I made a list of out-of-print titles on this site: http://www.criterionforum.org/listing.p ... &alpha=oop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. But keep in mind this list also includes original editions of titles that were eventually reissued (Seven Samurai, High and Low, Salo, etc.)
Whoa. I somehow missed that Rushmore went out of print? When did that happen? Is a rerelease expected anytime soon? They clearly missed the boat on the film's tenth anniversary. Maybe when The Fantastic Mr. Fox hits DVD?

Ashirg

#138 Post by Ashirg » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:34 pm

It's listed as backordered on their web site, not out-of-print. Maybe waiting for 2nd (3rd? 4th?) printing.

Jeff

#139 Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:42 pm

Criterion recently confirmed on FB that Rushmore is not OOP, just temporarily out of stock.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#140 Post by cdnchris » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:37 am

I think the issue is more with Buena Vista. They actually handled the manufacturing and distribution of Rushmore and my understanding with it and Armageddon is that they're no longer in print from Buena Vista (or Disney Home Video, whatever they call themselves now) based on various retailers, sources, and online sites. Both titles look to have been removed from Disney's home video site as well (where they were both available previously.) I suspect Criterion might actually be in a transition of taking them over, something similar to what happened with Traffic, which was handled originally by USA Films.

Will Barks

#141 Post by Will Barks » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:22 am

Yay! I just recieved my Third Man Blu-ray! Now I'm happy (and it's time my regionfree player arrives). :D
Since I'm from Vienna, this is a special film for me. Thanks to the internet I could catch a copy just before it disappeard from all the shops. :wink:

Morbii

#142 Post by Morbii » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:10 am

I also ordered it from Amazon and they had it listed as "Temporarily out of stock". Today I got an email stating that there's now an estimated arrival date of November 23 2009.

unclehulot

#143 Post by unclehulot » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:07 pm

Morbii wrote:I also ordered it from Amazon and they had it listed as "Temporarily out of stock". Today I got an email stating that there's now an estimated arrival date of November 23 2009.
Temporarily out of print, perhaps? Maybe it's Criterion's xmas gift to eBay sellers, kind of an inside trader ploy....say it's OOP and then follow up with a "just kidding" announcement! #-o

My local Barnes and Nobles (Houston) had a number of copies of the DVD edition, but perhaps that's not as hard to find as the Blu?

StevenJ0001

#144 Post by StevenJ0001 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:24 pm

unclehulot wrote:
Morbii wrote:I also ordered it from Amazon and they had it listed as "Temporarily out of stock". Today I got an email stating that there's now an estimated arrival date of November 23 2009.
Temporarily out of print, perhaps? Maybe it's Criterion's xmas gift to eBay sellers, kind of an inside trader ploy....say it's OOP and then follow up with a "just kidding" announcement! #-o

My local Barnes and Nobles (Houston) had a number of copies of the DVD edition, but perhaps that's not as hard to find as the Blu?
Yes the 2-disc DVD seems to be still readily available--I received that from Amazon a week or so ago and I think it's still available.

Like Morbii, I discovered the Blu was available again at Amazon a few days ago but listed as "Temporarily out of stock." I haven't yet received my arrival date email yet, but I have my fingers crossed. It's listed as unavailable at Amazon again now.

fdm

#145 Post by fdm » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:31 pm

Dunno. Half the time something becomes available earlier than the scheduled delivery date from amazon, seems like it ends up being somebody else's banged up return. Just saying.

StevenJ0001

#146 Post by StevenJ0001 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:28 pm

If the case is banged up, I will be disappointed but not too concerned because I have the beautiful 2-disc DVD packaging which is so much nicer, IMO. As long as the disc is scratch-free and playable, I'll be happy (if it ever actually materializes).

captveg

#147 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:09 pm

And if the case is banged up you could always send Criterion $5 for a new plastic case.

StevenJ0001

#148 Post by StevenJ0001 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:25 pm

Good point! :D

Morbii

#149 Post by Morbii » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:38 am

Mine arrived today, newfangled case and all.

StevenJ0001

#150 Post by StevenJ0001 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:57 pm

Congrats! I received my estimated delivery date (Dec. 3) email this morning, just when I was about to give up hope. Go Amazon! =D>