17 Marketa Lazarová

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Scharphedin2

#26 Post by Scharphedin2 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:23 pm

Bikey on Sept 07 in My Way Home thread wrote:STOP THE PRESS: MISERY ALMOST AT AN END!!!

You will be glad to hear that Marketa WILL be released in 2007. More details to follow on the release date and a special screening.
This would be some major pain relief for several of us, Bikey. Can you comment any further at this point?

What A Disgrace

#27 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:48 am

November 12 according to MovieMail. Retail of £14.99; indicating a larger bounty of extras than the usual (using Partition, with its hour of supplements and commentary as a guide).

What A Disgrace

#28 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:07 pm

Cover art.

No word yet on extras, but the price seems reduced to the normal Second Run price.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#29 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:49 am

But has anyone heard whether they went for the new neg transfer??

ivuernis

#30 Post by ivuernis » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:53 am

What A Disgrace wrote:November 12 according to MovieMail. Retail of £14.99; indicating a larger bounty of extras than the usual (using Partition, with its hour of supplements and commentary as a guide).
I'm hoping the extra bounty is because they used the negative transfer. From the screen grabs it seems using the negative transfer would be a must and I would be really disappointed if it wasn't.

jbeall

#31 Post by jbeall » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:20 am

Amazon UK has different cover art:

jbeall

#32 Post by jbeall » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:36 am

And although extras specs aren't up yet, amazon has the list price as 12.99, and the disc is region 2. IIRC, Facets acquired the region 1 rights, so that's why it's not region 0 like most Second Run releases.

jbeall

#33 Post by jbeall » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Didn't Second Run do this with My Way Home as well? The first cover art posted on that thread was a cover with a still from the film, and the second was the more conceptual that wound up on the actual release. Seems like Second Run has been redoing their covers, and there's a fairly consistent style to these new covers (Palms, [/i]My Way Home[/i], Black Sun, possibly Marketa...). I assume that the cover w/photo of Marketa was their working cover in 2006, and then they started doing them in a more conceptual style and decided to re-do it.

Regardless of which cover it is, now that cover art has been posted online and the release is almost a reality, I'm getting pretty psyched!
Last edited by jbeall on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#34 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:12 pm

Am I the only one getting twitchy about the lack of response from SR about the source neg for this release??? I love these guys like brothers and swallowed the mess that was Krzyzacy but I was really hoping that lessons having been learned about that particular fiasco would have lead to them pulling something out the hat on this one, particularly being up front about quality.

ivuernis

#35 Post by ivuernis » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:05 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Am I the only one getting twitchy about the lack of response from SR about the source neg for this release?
No.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:35 pm

jbeall wrote:Amazon UK has different cover art:
this is a fantastic cover, I hope this one is "the one"

jbeall

#37 Post by jbeall » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:24 pm

I'm pretty sure it will be. If you look at the other titles in their catalog, this cover is consistent with the style of Second Run's more recent releases.

Honestly, I'm beginning to hope this is the one as well (it'll tell you how much I'm looking forward to this release that I've been eyeing both covers obsessively =P~ ). The other one's okay, but it's just fairly conventional and doesn't grab my attention in the same way (although the actress who plays Marketa is certainly beautiful). While I generally like all of Second Run's covers, the more recent ones are really unique and stylistically uniform at the same time, and I think this sets their releases apart from just about every other company out there.

souvenir

#38 Post by souvenir » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:21 pm

The two different covers posted are now the same design (meaning play.com changed their image to match what Amazon UK has).

ivuernis

#39 Post by ivuernis » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:03 am

As long as the transfer is from from the negative print they can wrap it in bin liner for all I care... damn I hate not knowing.
Last edited by ivuernis on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bajaja

#40 Post by Bajaja » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:50 pm

I hate to be a nitpicker, but the "e" in "Marketa" should have the same accent above it as the final "a" has in "Lazarova".

Skritek

#41 Post by Skritek » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:00 pm

Bajaja wrote:I hate to be a nitpicker, but the "e" in "Marketa" should have the same accent above it as the final "a" has in "Lazarova".
That wouldn't hurt, since they already wrote Kachyna on the Ear DVD wrong.

jbeall

#42 Post by jbeall » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Eh, PM Bikey about it. Maybe it's not too late to fix it.

Bajaja

#43 Post by Bajaja » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Done.

petoluk

#44 Post by petoluk » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:55 am

Bajaja wrote:I hate to be a nitpicker, but the "e" in "Marketa" should have the same accent above it as the final "a" has in "Lazarova".
I've got to disagree with you, because it really should be spelled with an "e" - Marketa Lazarová, check e.g. this page on Nostalghia.cz. Petr Gajdošík - the site's curator - is an authority on VláÄ

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#45 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:24 am

Also, Petr Soukup, one of the people that were involved in the "Marketa Lazarová z negativu" project posted a lengthy info on the state of the affairs on his site zona.bloudil.cz, where he says that the master provided to SecondRun by Barrandov Studios was created from a positive print of the film...

I am supposing you mean that they used an existing positive copy. This rather than a new print struck from the original neg which is unusual but not impossible if the neg wasn't allowed out.

If they haven't used the original neg however and looking at the examples on the MoC site again what do we take from this original statement of intent-

From Mastersofcinema.org...

Quote:
Second Run plans to release Markéta Lazarová (FrantiÅ¡ek Vlácil, 1967) on DVD by "mid-summer". Says Mehelli Modi of Second Run, "Plans for our Markéta are going very well. So much extra material to look at that [we] don't want to rush the release. [We] want our release, as much as possible, to be fully respectful of this wonderful film and the Czech community for whom this is very important. At the moment, we are in the midst of doing the all-new subtitles." Based on Second Run's stellar track-record, we have full confidence that this will be a first-class release indeed. The film has repeatedly been voted best Czech film of all time by critics, and Mark Le Fanu recently (see our June 27, 2005 news update) called it "...as remarkable in its own way as Tarkovsky's Andrei Roublev. In short: long overdue on DVD". - T.T.

Faeton

#46 Post by Faeton » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:30 pm

I asked them about the topic, and this is their answer
Thank you for your mail. We always go back to the original, often finding a good master to work from.

Regards,

Ian
So I think that means "no".

But whatever, this DVD is a must-buy for me :D

petoluk

#47 Post by petoluk » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:48 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:I am supposing you mean that they used an existing positive copy.
Yes, that's correct. It should be the same master the guys from the "Marketa Lazarová z negativu" project used to compare the original negative to (take a look at this page, if you haven't seen it already)...

Cheers! :wink:

Peto

Scharphedin2

#48 Post by Scharphedin2 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:05 pm

petoluk wrote:
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:I am supposing you mean that they used an existing positive copy.
Yes, that's correct. It should be the same master the guys from the "Marketa Lazarová z negativu" project used to compare the original negative to (take a look at this page, if you haven't seen it already)...
Peto, do you know then, if a different company anywhere in the world is working on a DVD release that goes back to the original negative?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#49 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:42 pm

Taken to the glory stroke and then shat on ???

Come on Clavis ... Let's go!!
Last edited by NABOB OF NOWHERE on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

petoluk

#50 Post by petoluk » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Scharphedin2 wrote:Peto, do you know then, if a different company anywhere in the world is working on a DVD release that goes back to the original negative?
Well, according to the news @ zona.bloudil.cz I mentioned earlier, the negotiations about who will do the transfer from the negative, how, and who will pay for it are far from being over.

So no - at the moment, nobody is actually working on a DVD release that goes back to the original negative... :(

Peto