8 Another Way

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Matt

#1 Post by Matt » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:44 pm

Another Way

The clash of sexuality and politics provide the basis for this tragic love story set in Hungary, 1958. In the offices of magazine The Truth, two female journalists tentatively embark on a clandestine, highly-charged affair, knowing that they face the wrath of the Stalinist regime if discovered. A brave and significant portrait of the effect totalitarianism has on the most intimate aspects of life, this film cleverly undercuts the expectations aroused by its milieu.

Special Features

• Introduction to the film by its director Karoly Makk.
• New digital transfer with restored image and sound, approved by the director
• Anamorphic 16:9 enhanced for widescreen televisions.
• New and improved English subtitle translation.
• Booklet featuring Essay on the film by critic Andrew James Horton.

Subbuteo

#2 Post by Subbuteo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:35 pm

Anybody seen this?... sounds interesting

IMDB comment:
In Budapest in 1958, the population is cowed by the oppressive, intrusive, ubiquitous presence of Stalinism. Two young women embark on a love affair in defiance of the social pressures ranged against them.

Eva (Jadwiga Jankowska-Cieslak) is an intellectual and a journalist. Born a peasant, and with her roots still very much in village life, her version of Magyar nationalism is the very antithesis of Stalinism. Unconventional in all things, Eva is a confirmed lesbian.
Livia is the voluptuous blonde who shares an office with Eva at "The Truth", the Budapest magazine for which they both work. Livia (Grazyna Szopolowska) is utterly unlike Eva. Big and sexy where Eva is small and wiry, she has an easy, unthinking physicality. She plays water-polo better than the men, and dances the night away at the Selznok party. Married to Denci, the army officer, she leads a life of bland sexual and political conformity.

Though she has not realised it up to now, Livia is dissatisfied with her dull urban existence. Life and work in Stalinist Budapest is a drab, joyless grind. Eva, the brash intellectual with heretical ideas and peasant common sense disrupts editorial meetings. She is a breath of fresh air. Livia becomes interested.

The culmination of the story is both a triumph and a tragedy. The ending cannot be revealed here, but it is both fitting and lamentable.

Karoly Makk directs with quiet flair. The speech of the Selznok chairman is a moving 'history of Hungary in the 20th century', seen through the eyes of one peasant. Winter imagery surrounds the characters, representing the iron-hard clutch of sterile Stalinism. In perfect keeping with the period, the film has a classy jazz score.

Verdict - First-rate politico-sexual parable.

charulata

#3 Post by charulata » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:24 pm

Anybody seen this?... sounds interesting
Yes, saw this when it first came out.
And not since... so memory is hazy.
Remember going to it on the back of an interest in Eastern European film sparked by Szabo's Mephisto. It was also at a time when my experience of international cinema was limited so fewer references for comparison or honed critical faculties. Will definitely be seeing it again on DVD, and am fairly confident that it will not disappoint and probably exceed recollections...

The two central performances are excellent [Grazyna Szapolowska will probably be familiar to most here from Kieslowski's No End and Dekalog (A Short Film About Love)] and the pivotal relationship is very well handled. To a Western European it seemed an accurate insight into Eastern Europe...

Subbuteo

#4 Post by Subbuteo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:15 pm

Thanks Charulata

I will take the plunge with this release...very rarely engage in blind buys, but knowing Grazyna Szapolowska stars is a bonus.
I was bowled over with Makk's 'Love' and am delighted that this has finally appeared on DVD.
Secondrun no doubt is going to result in an outburst of blind buys for me.

By the way hoping very much that MOC will release Ray's namesake :)

Matt

#5 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:00 pm

rs98762001

#6 Post by rs98762001 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:33 pm

After recently seeing, and loving, the presentation of Makk's LOVE, I am extremly tempted to get this when it comes out on October 3. Anyone know how ANOTHER WAY matches up?

kieslowski

#7 Post by kieslowski » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:40 am

Full specs...
- Introduction to the film by its director Karoly Makk.
- New digital transfer with restored image and sound, approved by the director
- Anamorphic 16:9 enhanced for widescreen televisions.
- New and improved English subtitle translation.
- Booklet featuring Essay on the film by critic Andrew James Horton.
Essay and links here.

Bikey

#8 Post by Bikey » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:31 pm

meanwhile

#9 Post by meanwhile » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:34 am

Mohun Cheapnis

#10 Post by Mohun Cheapnis » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:46 pm

I'm having trouble finding a copy of this that doesn't freeze up in the player. I've tried two different discs and neither one would even load. Anyone else aware of a problem? Too bad, because the other Makk titles from SR got me eager to view this one as well.

Bikey

#11 Post by Bikey » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:26 am

Mohun Cheapnis wrote:I'm having trouble finding a copy of this that doesn't freeze up in the player. I've tried two different discs and neither one would even load. Anyone else aware of a problem? Too bad, because the other Makk titles from SR got me eager to view this one as well.
Mohun - yours is the first time we've ever heard of any problem with the ANOTHER WAY disc. Would be interested to know where you have got your copies from.
Would want very much that you see the film so, if you wish, just return your copy to us and we will send you a fresh one. PM us when you are ready.

Mohun Cheapnis

#12 Post by Mohun Cheapnis » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Bikey,

The problem turns out to have been an odd compatibility issue with a player - something I've never encountered before with any disc, Second Run or otherwise. The issue is resolved (although not in the best possible way as I'll have to check this out on a small computer screen now), but at least I'll get to see it now. I don't understand why it occurs with this particular disc, but there it is!

Anyway, hooray for Karoly Makk. Good stuff!

Mohun Cheapnis

#13 Post by Mohun Cheapnis » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:42 pm

Bikey wrote: Would want very much that you see the film so, if you wish, just return your copy to us and we will send you a fresh one. PM us when you are ready.
Forgot to mention: Thanks for the kind offer anyway!

L.A.

Re: 8 Another Way

#14 Post by L.A. » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:30 am

Any plans for an upgrade for this?

ryannichols7

Re: 8 Another Way

#15 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:21 am

L.A. wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:30 am
Any plans for an upgrade for this?
my heart skipped when I saw the thread. would love some Károly Makk! definitely one of the bigger names excluded from the Hungarian Masters boxset...the question is whether any of the films have been restored lately, should give us a good idea of what's to come. Hungary is certainly one of the better countries in terms of restoration movements and getting them out there