Second Run General Chitchat

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
luridedith

#76 Post by luridedith » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:51 pm

souvenir wrote:Valerie and Her Week of Wonders for August 25
Holy shit, cannot WAIT to get rid of my Facets DVD abortion and upgrade.

What A Disgrace

#77 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:40 pm

Specs for Tropical Malady, according to MovieMail.

- Short film: Thirdworld
- Newly filmed interview with the Director
- Booklet essay by film historian Tony Rayns.

MichaelB

#78 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:12 am

luridedith wrote:Holy shit, cannot WAIT to get rid of my Facets DVD abortion and upgrade.
I haven't seen the transfer yet, but at worst it'll be the same as the current Czech release (which is miles better than either the Facets or Redemption, as this comparison shows) - but it may be cleaned up beyond that.

s.j. bagley

#79 Post by s.j. bagley » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:07 pm

luridedith wrote:
souvenir wrote:Valerie and Her Week of Wonders for August 25
Holy shit, cannot WAIT to get rid of my Facets DVD abortion and upgrade.
i second that.

sidehacker

#80 Post by sidehacker » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:25 pm

souvenir wrote:Amazon UK is listing Tropical Malady for July 28 and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders for August 25
Wait, is Second Run releasing these titles?

MichaelB

#81 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:29 pm

sidehacker wrote:
souvenir wrote:Amazon UK is listing Tropical Malady for July 28 and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders for August 25
Yes.

Zazou dans le Metro

#82 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Are any dribbles of info about the upcoming Britdocs beginning to foam in intensity yet?

jbeall

#83 Post by jbeall » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:34 am

sidehacker wrote:
Not only is SR releasing them, it appears they'll be out before Diary for My Children. While I'm at it, SR could stand to update their website...

criterionsnob

Re: Second Run General Chitchat

#84 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:08 pm

From the latest Second Run newsletter:
A cryptic clue...

In 2009 we will be releasing a film which we absolutely love and are really looking forward to showing you. More about it later but, in the meantime...

A tale of lost innocence, set during a long hot summer in 1950's Australia, which beautifully evokes the surreal, childhood world of rituals, games and gangs and the incomprehensible nature of adults. The film was released in the late-1980s, to unanimous praise everywhere.

"It is a work to be set beside Richard Hughes' "A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA", William Golding's "LORD OF THE FLIES" and John Rae's "THE CUSTARD BOYS", novels that plunge through the innocent surface of children's ritual games into a dark world where atrocious feelings take terrible forms, and acts of violence, once committed, are coolly accepted and forgotten." - Phillip French, The Observer

"Transfixing, assured, extremely lucid... recalls the deceptive serenity of BLUE VELVET." - Janet Maslin, The New York Times

"Perhaps the most impressive debut of recent years." - Empire

Second Run DVD’s release of this film will be from an all-new, director-approved anamorphic transfer.

Guesses (answers) by email to info@secondrundvd.com

Two randomly-picked correct answers will receive a free copy of the DVD when released.
Any ideas?

fiddlesticks

#85 Post by fiddlesticks » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:14 pm

criterionsnob wrote:Any ideas?
My idea is to not post the correct answer, so as to increase my chances of winning. [-(
But I will say that this is quite easily Googled. :-"

Zazou dans le Metro

#86 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:11 pm

fiddlesticks wrote:
criterionsnob wrote:Any ideas?
My idea is to not post the correct answer, so as to increase my chances of winning. [-(
But I will say that this is quite easily Googled. :-"
It's Celia by Ann Turner. Saw it at the NFT many moons ago introduced by the wonderful Marina Warner.

zedz

#87 Post by zedz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:20 pm

It's a really good, haunting film in a kind of Campion / Lynch mould. I also remember a Carrollian vibe and assumed at the time that the eponymous title was a deliberate anagram.

piano player

#88 Post by piano player » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Does anyone here have experience of ordering DVD:s straight from their website/shop? Do they package the DVDs well? And how about shipping times within Europe? I was planning to lay an order of maybe ten films, so just checking.

jbeall

#89 Post by jbeall » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:42 pm

piano player wrote:Does anyone here have experience of ordering DVD:s straight from their website/shop? Do they package the DVDs well? And how about shipping times within Europe? I was planning to lay an order of maybe ten films, so just checking.
I've ordered several times directly from SR, and they've always shipped my dvds in a bubble-mailer. It's always shipped the next business day, arrived within a week, and there's never been any damage. However, I order from the U.S., so I can't speak to European shipping times. Skuhn8 is probably the one to ask about that?

Anywhoo, I was just popping in to remark (in a general chitchat kinda way) that SR appears to be upping their output. This is a welcome development, to say the least! I wonder if they'll get on a regular release/announcement schedule, similar to criterion.

MichaelB

Re: Jane Arden (1927-82)

#90 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Sean Kaye-Smith wrote:For some time I have been researching the career of the British director, screenwriter, playwright and actress Jane Arden. It is very hard to track down her films - it has taken literally years - but I think I know where copies of all of them are now (except one). Her work would be ideal material for Second Run, and being the only British woman, that I am aware of, to direct a feature film in the UK in the 1970s it is bizarre that her work and career has suffered from such neglect.
I don't know if the Second Run staff read this forum but I would be VERY interested to talk to someone about how Ms Arden's films could be made available again. Even if Second Run could not pursue this I would be very interested to hear any ideas about how this aim could be realised.
In the last few months a My Space site has been set up to celebrate her work (http://www.myspace.com/janeardendotcom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). At the very least her 'magnum opus' 'The Other Side of the Underneath' (1972) should be readily available.
I would be fascinated to read any replies to this comment.
I've been itching to respond to this for ages, but I've finally been given the go-ahead to reveal that Jane Arden's films will be reissued in 2009 for the first time since their total withdrawal following her death in 1982.

The bad news is that they won't be handled by Second Run...

...but the good news is that they'll be handled by the BFI. And with all due respect to Second Run (a label I dearly love and whose releases I'm delighted to contribute to), I suspect they'd readily agree that the BFI is probably the best-equipped distributor in the country - arguably the planet - to handle these titles, culturally as well as financially.

Oh, and they'll be on Blu-ray as well as DVD, in brand new HD scans off the original 35mm negatives, and the transfer sessions are being personally supervised by Jack Bond (Arden's main creative partner on these films).

More details here.

Bikey

#91 Post by Bikey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:48 pm

That's fantastic news, Michael. Couldn't agree with you more and can't wait to have Arden (and Bond's) work.
I hope some of their short films will be included.

MichaelB

#92 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:55 pm

Bikey wrote:I hope some of their short films will be included.
Almost certainly - the BFI just needs to investigate the condition of surviving materials. As I said in the other thread, we already know that one short (Vibrations, I think) only appears to survive as an NTSC U-matic videotape - the celluloid original vanished decades ago. But unless the tape is actually unplayable, I think the intention is certainly to include it.

tartarlamb

#93 Post by tartarlamb » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:03 pm

Is there any reason to be alarmed over the rapidy disappearing availabilty of Second Run titles at Amazon (The Ear, The Round-Up, The Cremator, Third Part of the Night, etc)?

Dadapass

#94 Post by Dadapass » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:02 pm

I have just discovered Second Run and I'm wondering the same thing. They are available at The Hut though.

Bikey

#95 Post by Bikey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:12 am

tartarlamb wrote:Is there any reason to be alarmed over the rapidly disappearing availability of Second Run titles at Amazon (The Ear, The Round-Up, The Cremator, Third Part of the Night, etc)?
tartarlamb, no reason whatsoever to be alarmed. We have been in the midst of changing our manufacturer and that's caused a hiccup in the time it's taking to get just a few of our full list of titles re-manufactured and back in stock. The Ear, The Round-Up and The Third Part of the Night have now been re-stocked and all retailers/etailers should be able to be properly stocked on those as soon as they order them; and The Cremator is in the process of being done. Bear with us please for a short while.

If you have any problems in finding those, just order them direct from our website and they will be despatched right away. Also, when you order from us, we will try always to inform you if any title you've ordered is temporarily out-of-stock.

tartarlamb

#96 Post by tartarlamb » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Bikey wrote:If you have any problems in finding those, just order them direct from our website and they will be despatched right away. Also, when you order from us, we will try always to inform you if any title you've ordered is temporarily out-of-stock.
I don't know why I hadn't thought of that, or bothered to check if y'all ship to the US. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dadapass

#97 Post by Dadapass » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:43 pm

tartarlamb wrote:Is there any reason to be alarmed over the rapidly disappearing availability of Second Run titles at Amazon (The Ear, The Round-Up, The Cremator, Third Part of the Night, etc)?
They are all available at Amazon again.

jbeall

#98 Post by jbeall » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:01 pm

The new SR newsletter says that they're about to start charging for international shipping:
Second Run Newsletter wrote:As you know, ever since Second Run started, we have tried very hard to maintain Free Worldwide Delivery for DVDs purchased from our website. Unfortunately, mail prices have continued to keep on rising steeply each of those years and it is now just not possible for us to continue providing worldwide free delivery. From 1st July 2009, we will have to begin to charge a contribution towards our mailing costs for International Shipping. However, as we are based in the UK, items for delivery in the UK will continue to remain free.

There will be a flat charge of £1.50 for the first item, with a charge of £1 for each additional item. This still represents only a contribution towards the actual mailing costs. We hope you will understand and that this will not deter our many friends and supporters from continuing to purchase direct from our website. Thank you.
So if you're thinking of ordering directly from SR, now would be a good time to do it.

lazier than a toad

#99 Post by lazier than a toad » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:34 am

Is there any news on the Xie Fei movies? Its a long time since I was excited by the initial announcment.

Bikey

#100 Post by Bikey » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:48 pm

lazier than a toad wrote:Is there any news on the Xie Fei movies? Its a long time since I was excited by the initial announcment.
We've been hoping to get a brand new interview with Professor Xie Fei and that has caused delay to the release. Originally, we wanted to have released at least one of the films in June, in time to commemorate the month of the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, but I'm afraid it was just not possible. Still, it will be later this year and we'll keep you informed. Glad to know that you care for his films.