Second Run General Chitchat

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
tojoed

Re: Second Run General Chitchat

#126 Post by tojoed » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:02 pm

According to Moviemail it is, as Michael thought, "Love ", My Way Home" and "Diary For My Children".

reno dakota

#127 Post by reno dakota » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:15 pm

tojoed wrote:According to Moviemail it is, as Michael thought, "Love ", My Way Home" and "Diary For My Children".
It seems to be the same "triple bill" from their online shop, but at quite a discount.

zedz

#128 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:06 pm

I'll stump up for My Way Home as a really great film. I think it only suffers in comparison with what Jansco did next, once he developed his extraordinary mature style. If this were the only known work by a more obscure Hungarian filmmaker I think we'd be falling over ourselves with superlatives.

So yeah, this box is a must have.

MichaelB

#129 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:08 pm

zedz wrote:I'll stump up for My Way Home as a really great film. I think it only suffers in comparison with what Jansco did next, once he developed his extraordinary mature style. If this were the only known work by a more obscure Hungarian filmmaker I think we'd be falling over ourselves with superlatives.
Completely agree - if you've never seen any Jancsó at all, it's a great start, and probably a lot more accessible than what came later.

Bikey

#130 Post by Bikey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Our release of his BLISSFULLY YOURS was the first DVD release of his films in the UK (followed a couple of years later by our TROPICAL MALADY and the BFI's SYNDROMES AND A CENTURY), so you all know that we've always loved the work of Apichatpong Weerasethakul - and are therefore delighted to learn that his newest film "UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES (Loong Boonmee Raleuk Chaat)" has been selected In Competition at Cannes!

Peacock

#131 Post by Peacock » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:31 am

Any chance of Second Run getting the rights Bikey?

Bikey

#132 Post by Bikey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:23 am

That would be wonderful, Peacock. We wish...
... but, even more importantly, that Uncle Boonmee does well at Cannes and beyond.

Dadapass

#133 Post by Dadapass » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:56 am

Bikey,
will Second Run put together more boxsets other than the Hungarian boxset?

Bikey

#134 Post by Bikey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:34 am

Dadapass wrote:Bikey,
will Second Run put together more boxsets other than the Hungarian boxset?
Dadapass, the Hungarian set is our first foray into the world of Box Sets and we'll have to take a view based on its results over time.

And, looking at the post above in respect of Apichatpong, the waves of good wishes from all of us Forum members directed towards the Cannes jury seem to have helped... ! Hooray.

RossyG

#135 Post by RossyG » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Just to let everyone know, Base.com are selling many titles at £6.95.

I've just ordered Celia, Valeria and Her Week, Party and the Guests and Daisies for less than 28 quid, so I'm happy. :)

UPDATE: And I've just spotted Blood at the same price so I've ordered that too. \:D/

Cash Flagg

#136 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 pm

RossyG wrote:Just to let everyone know, Base.com are selling many titles at £6.95.
Though, like Blah DVD, they don't carry Interrogation, which has been list-price at Amazon for 18 months! (I should know, that's when I added it to my wish-list.)

RossyG

#137 Post by RossyG » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:53 am

Cash Flagg wrote:
RossyG wrote:Just to let everyone know, Base.com are selling many titles at £6.95.
Though, like Blah DVD, they don't carry Interrogation, which has been list-price at Amazon for 18 months! (I should know, that's when I added it to my wish-list.)
HMV have it for a fairly reasonable £9.99: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... 86d2266bf9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jbeall

#138 Post by jbeall » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:29 pm

Lotsa interesting stuff coming down the pike for SR; it may be time for them to update their "coming soon" page...

Bikey

#139 Post by Bikey » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:57 am

jbeall wrote:Lotsa interesting stuff coming down the pike for SR; it may be time for them to update their "coming soon" page...
jbeall, you are absolutely right; apologies, and we'll update the 'coming soon' page during the next week.

PillowRock

#140 Post by PillowRock » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Just idle curiosity about the Hungarian Box:

Has there been a delay with getting quantities of that box set out to retailers? I've now gotten three separate e-mails from Amazon.uk, each saying that they had not received them from their suppliers and pushing the expected ship date further back. They're now estimating some time in August.

Lord knows that my current kevyip is big enough that waiting for that box (and the rest of the order that is waiting to ship across the Atlantic with it) is not any kind of problem / hardship for me. I'm just curious whether there were effective release delays, or whether Amazon's entire initial allotment got shipped out to orders placed before mine (of course, if it is selling that well, it would bode well for other similar boxes), or something else entirely.

Bikey

#141 Post by Bikey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:30 am

Apologies to anyone who's had difficulty ordering the Hungarian Masters Box. We've discovered that there's been some problem with the ordering system regarding this title - the problem we're assured has now been rectified and the Box is now In Stock at Amazon

PillowRock

#142 Post by PillowRock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:09 pm

Ah.
OK.
That would do it. Probably some web scripting typo or something.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Dadapass

#143 Post by Dadapass » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:24 pm

The Frantisek Vlacil Collection to be released September 13 and will include Marketa Lazarova, The Valley of the Bees, and Adelheid.

Peacock

#144 Post by Peacock » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm

And Casa De Lava is up for pre order on a few sites for 11 October

Dick Laurent

#145 Post by Dick Laurent » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:48 am

First of all, hello everyone, been a long time reader of the forum and finally registered so i could join in the discussions.

I'm going to start of with a question, does anybody know if the Hungarian masters box has al the artwork from the seperate releases, or is it a 4-disc keepcase box or something, because i like second runs artwork and I'm doubting between seperate releases or the box.
I hope it has the artwork because on the upcomming Vlacil box is an exclusive docu that I wouldn't like to miss, but the artwork for the seperate adelheid looks nice too and i already have Marketa and Valley of the Bees.

I don't know if it's already discussed somewhere, so apoligies if this is a repeat question.

Bikey

#146 Post by Bikey » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:23 pm

To answer Dick Laurent - the Hungarian Masters Box, and indeed upcoming the Vláčil box, does contain artwork for all the discs. Each slipcase contains the individual, separate DVDs - three in the case of HM, and four in the FV set (the 4th disc here being Tomáš Hejtmánek's Sentiment, which is exclusive to the box).

Dick Laurent

#147 Post by Dick Laurent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:48 am

Thanks for the info Bikey, i will wait for the boxset to buy Adelheid.

Cabiria21

#148 Post by Cabiria21 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:42 pm

to elaborate on dick laurent's question on the Vlacil box, will it be thin cases or the same size cases as the single releases?

MichaelB

#149 Post by MichaelB » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:54 pm

If it's anything like the Hungarian box, it'll consist of the three existing Vláčil DVDs exactly as previously sold, plus Sentiment, in a cardboard slipcase.

But I should find out for certain when I get my own copy - which should be imminent.

UPDATE: It is indeed four standard Amaray cases in a cardboard slipcase. Sentiment gets its own box (spine number 55, for the record), but no booklet - though as there's more than enough about Vláčil's life and work in the other three booklets it's hard to think of what could usefully have been included.

Bikey

#150 Post by Bikey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:04 pm

The 2010 London Film Festival programme has just gone online: http://www.bfi.org.uk/lff/films/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Happily feels to be a good and strong line-up this year.

And we are especially delighted to see that three of the filmmakers whose previous work we've championed will all have their new films screened at the Festival -
Apichatpong with Uncle Boonmee
Pia Marais with At Ellen's Age
Kim Longinotto with Pink Saris