Second Run General Chitchat

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
RossyG

Re: Second Run General Chitchat

#226 Post by RossyG » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:47 am

Hacienda style, 31 is the Second Run office, 47 is their cat, and 67 is a birthday party.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#227 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:59 am

Actually I am number 67. I come into your living room and like in a game of charades I re-enact key scenes from SR releases and you have to guess which film it is.

neilist

#228 Post by neilist » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:22 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:When are we going to find out what spines 31, 47 and 67 are?
The 2009 Second Run catalogue includes SRDVD 031 on the forthcoming releases page and it was due to be...
SpoilerShow
'The Girl From Hunan' (Xie Fei, 1986), presumably intended to come out along with Fei's 'Black Snow'.
I've never received a later catalogue then their 2009 one, but if anyone else has then it may similarly list the other 'missing' two. There was talk some time ago about Mészáros' other 'Diary...' films being released, to follow 'Diary For My Children', but that was quite a while back and so the spines for those might have been expected to be lower than 47 and 67 if they'd ever gotten as far as having numbers allocated.

Bikey

#229 Post by Bikey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:36 am

Fans of new Chinese cinema might want to catch SO YOUNG tonight at the London Film Festival - our good friends at BFI have a small numbert of FREE tickets available for tonight's screening at 17.30 at Odeon West End. Tickets are limited and on a 'first-come-first-served' basis. Email NOW for a chance for a pair of tickets: elina.kanela@bfi.org.uk

Bikey

#230 Post by Bikey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:35 am

Our friends at Made in Prague Czech-O-Slovak Film Festival are offering a special discount for the screenings of Jiri Menzel's films CLOSELY OBSERVED TRAINS and THE DON JUANS at Riverside Studios Hammersmith  this weekend. To get £1 off the ticket price for each screening simply quote 'Second Run' when you book for either of these these films by phone (0208 237 1111) or in person at the Box Office. (For online booking use code: secondrun)

Bikey

#231 Post by Bikey » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:44 am

A selection of Second Run titles available for a limited time from our website at just £7.99 in our Winter Offer!

rockysds

#232 Post by rockysds » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Raya Martin's Independencia is getting a release next year. Presumably, this is the contemporary Filipino title mentioned earlier. Really excited about this one.

AlexHansen

#233 Post by AlexHansen » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:50 pm

As am I. The Martin and a possible Blu of NORTE in the same year? I'm not worthy.

Bikey

#234 Post by Bikey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Don't forget our Winter Offer on selected titles continues through to December 31.

Bikey

#235 Post by Bikey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:21 am

Don't forget our Winter Offer with selected titles at just £7.99 finishes tonight!

Bikey

#236 Post by Bikey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:18 pm

IKARIE XB 1, THE SUN IN A NET and POLISH CINEMA CLASSICS VOLUME II all make Beaver's 'Top 10 DVDs of 2013' ...
... and Second Run comes in at #3 in the 'TOP LABELS' poll !!

RossyG

#237 Post by RossyG » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 pm

I wouldn't take those polls too seriously - Arrow the fourth best label? - but there's no deny you've released some great DVDs this year, notably (for me) the first two titles you mentioned.

Another great year for a great label.

MichaelB

#238 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:54 am

RossyG wrote:I wouldn't take those polls too seriously - Arrow the fourth best label?
To be fair, it's a US-based site, and a pretty hefty number of the people being polled will probably be locked to Region A. Which means that they can probably play Second Run DVDs but not Arrow BDs!

Personally, I was quite pleasantly surprised to see The Long Goodbye at no. 51, especially considering it's only been out for three weeks or so.

TMDaines

#239 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:22 am

Yeah, every year it's always funny to the see the statement that they "don't discriminate based on regional limitations or broadcast standards" and then the poll is so heavily biased towards US voters (many of whom state that they don't import).

Bikey

#240 Post by Bikey » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:36 am

More chances to see Pedro Costa's Where Does Your Hidden Smile Lie? at ICA on Sunday 19th at 6pm and Wednesday 22nd at 8.45pm.

They're also screening his debut feature Blood (O Sangue) on Tuesday 21st at 8.50pm

You can also hear the terrific Q&A discussion between Pedro Costa and filmmaker Chris Petit recorded at the ICA on January 9th at the special screening of Where Does Your Hidden Smile Lie?

Bikey

#241 Post by Bikey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:56 am

Nice to receive so many mentions amongst the votes for Sight & Sound's 'Best DVDs and Blu-rays of 2013' in such a prestigious poll - and IKARIE XB 1 coming out as our top rated title of 2013!

What A Disgrace

#242 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Is there any chance that Man of Marble presages a third Polish Cinema Classics collection, or is two all we're going to get?

Bikey

#243 Post by Bikey » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:41 am

Congratulations to Lav Diaz (Golden Leopard for Best Film - 'From What is Before'), Pedro Costa (Best Director - 'Horse Money'), Ariane Labed (Best Actress - 'Fidelio, l’odyssée d’Alice') and Pia Borg, Edward Lawrenson (Best Short Film - Abandoned Goods) and all the prize winners as 67th Locarno Film Festival awards are announced!!

Bikey

#244 Post by Bikey » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:19 am

Join us for a very special event at London's The Horse Hospital on Sunday September 7th:

SECOND RUN SUNDAY at The Horse Hospital
Central European Cinema Classics
Sunday 7th September - from 1.30pm

A Horse Hospital fundraising event
Admission by ‘PAY WHAT YOU CAN’ donation

Presenting some of the most distinctive titles from the great Central European national cinemas of the 1960s and '70s, this unique day of cinematic gems is in aid of the Horse Hospital's fundraising campaign. It will showcase the amazing visionary realms of a selection of richly imagined celluloid masterpieces.

Come for the whole day or drop in for one or two titles. Entry is by (necessary) donation: £5 or as much as you care to give.
DO COME ALONG AND JOIN US!

Programme:
1.30 – 2.45: Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
dir. Jaromil Jireš / Czechoslovakia 1970, 73 mins

3.00 – 4.30: Szindbád
dir. Zoltán Huszárik / Hungary 1971, 90 mins

4.45 – 6.30: Mother Joan of the Angels
dir. Jerzy Kawalerowicz / Poland 1960, 105 mins

7.00 – 8.45: The Third Part of the Night
dir. Andrzej Żuławski / Poland 1971, 102 mins

9.15 – 10.45: Ikarie XB 1
dir. Jindřich Polák / Czechoslovakia 1963, 83 mins

RobertB

#245 Post by RobertB » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:33 pm

Quoting this from the Cinema Guild thread:
MichaelB wrote:I suspect it's as simple a case as the rights costing a fair bit more in the US, and distribution logistics being more expensive. So a release in a much smaller territory like the UK or any other individual European country will be less of a risk.

But there's no way a decision like this will have been taken lightly. I can't speak for Cinema Guild, but Second Run would love to get into Blu-ray - but they just can't get the numbers to add up in an advantageous way.
I haven't bought any Second Run DVD since Man of the Story. That's two years. If they released Blu-ray films for under £19 I would be picking up about 50% of them. Maybe I am not alone. If second run would love to get into Blu-ray, I think it's time they did a test. Release a couple of films where they already have HD scans as limited edition BD tin-boxes. The sales may just be a positive surprise.

MichaelB

#246 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:06 pm

RobertB wrote:I haven't bought any Second Run DVD since Man of the Story. That's two years. If they released Blu-ray films for under £19 I would be picking up about 50% of them. Maybe I am not alone. If second run would love to get into Blu-ray, I think it's time they did a test. Release a couple of films where they already have HD scans as limited edition BD tin-boxes. The sales may just be a positive surprise.
Or they might sink the company altogether. And given the state of the physical media market right now that's a very real threat.

Arrow

#247 Post by Arrow » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:23 pm

I'm guessing most of us are old enough to remember what it was like not even 20 years ago when it was impossible to get your hands on anything. In high school I tried finding art house cinema but outside of some domestic Oscar winners my local video store had nothing. It's a shame to pass on a second run film because of the format, title for title they have one of the best catalogues in the industry. There are so many amazing films available today, I'll never get to them all in my life time (I think I'm stepping on the toes of another thread now) and I shouldn't suggest how others spend their time/money but c'mon, enjoy it!

RobertB

#248 Post by RobertB » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:25 pm

I don't know what the financial situation is for Second Run. I hope they are doing OK. And I don't know what the market is in the UK. But where I work it is getting very difficult to sell a DVD for over £10. And new titles often sell better on Blu-ray than DVD even if the Blu-ray version costs more. I'm not convinced that DVD only will work as a business model in 2015 if you aren't doing budget releases. But for the sake of Second Run, I hope that I am wrong.

MichaelB

#249 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:29 pm

RobertB wrote:I don't know what the financial situation is for Second Run. I hope they are doing OK. And I don't know what the market is in the UK. But where I work it is getting very difficult to sell a DVD for over £10.
You should never have to pay more than £10 for a Second Run release, unless you're the kind of maniac who buys them over the counter at HMV. You can easily pick up their very latest release for just £8.99 with just the barest minimum of Googling.
And new titles often sell better on Blu-ray than DVD even if the Blu-ray version costs more. I'm not convinced that DVD only will work as a business model in 2015 if you aren't doing budget releases. But for the sake of Second Run, I hope that I am wrong.
Define "better" in terms of financial return to the distributor. Raw units shifted don't tell anything like the full story.

RobertB

#250 Post by RobertB » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:36 pm

And new titles often sell better on Blu-ray than DVD even if the Blu-ray version costs more. I'm not convinced that DVD only will work as a business model in 2015 if you aren't doing budget releases. But for the sake of Second Run, I hope that I am wrong.
Define "better" in terms of financial return to the distributor. Raw units shifted don't tell anything like the full story.
Better defined as selling more units in the shop. And bought at a higher price from the distributor.

I agree with Arrow that Second Run release a lot of good films in excellent DVD editions. But there are also good films released as Blu-ray, and I give them higher priority when buying and watching films. It might be different if I wasn't region free.