107 / BD 2 Mysterious Object at Noon

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Bikey

Re: Mysterious Object at Noon

#51 Post by Bikey » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:21 am

Nick James' full-page piece on Apichatpong Weerasethakul's MYSTERIOUS OBJECT AT NOON in the latest Sight & Sound.

RobertB

Re: 107 / BD 2 Mysterious Object at Noon

#52 Post by RobertB » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:34 pm

Finally got far down enough in my pile of films to watch this tonight, and I loved it! I wish I had something intelligent to say but I don't. I'm utterly charmed by the playfulness of it. The slow moment's (and this is far from Weerasethakul's slowest film) have a great vitality and love for the people who tell the story. I could never find this dull. I would have loved to have the short film Mobile Men as an extra, as that gives me the same feeling.

Twice the word "siamese" is used for the people in the film, in the subtitles. My understanding has always been that this is a Khmer word, and not the preferred word in Thailand. Am I wrong? Is the word "siamese" actually spoken in the film?

Half way through the film, part of the story that is being made up, is performed as a musical play. I enjoyed this extra level of "what is fiction and what is documentary". Does anyone know what ethnic group the performers belong to? Is it main Thai, or a minority tribe?

Bikey

Re: 107 / BD 2 Mysterious Object at Noon

#53 Post by Bikey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:13 am

Apichatpong Weerasethakul's
MYSTERIOUS OBJECT AT NOON
Sunday 27 August, 12 noon, ICA Cinema

A special screening this coming Sunday of Apichatpong Weerasethakul's hallucinatory debut feature.
An experimental mix of documentary and fiction that wends its way through the landscapes and mindscapes of rural Thailand, this boldly original debut looks and feels like nothing else.